PDA

View Full Version : not running polaris phenix

250excrf250r
02-09-2008, 07:35 AM
Polaris Phenix- i bought this off my friend as a project and it was not started for 6 mounth and did not start so i put a new spark plug, added sabil and new gas and started right up i drove up and down my street for 30 mins after 30mins it would not move if it hit revlimiter it would backfireand pop. and would piss and fart without moving it has 40 hours and still has breakin oil. i plan on getting a jet kit, air filter and changeing oil in motor and drive shaft, and draining the float bowl in the carb and clean carb is that what you guys suggest or is there more. i could not find a GOOD forum for a phenix so i posted it to this one.

mojavemark
02-10-2008, 01:09 PM
What year Pheonix? The first year, 05, had some bugs. My stepson's has the same problems you are describing.

First check the spark plug again. I know the 05 model had a real problem with fouling the spark plug. I think the factory installed the wrong one or somthing. I will try to find the thread on another site I found and post back the correct plug. What we had to do was clean the plug after each ride.
Second, make sure the choke is completly shutting off. On my step son's, the cable would bind up and the choke would remain in the half closed postion. Keep the choke cable lubed up to keep this from happening.
Third, I'll have to look around, but I remember seeing a thread somewheres else that said there was a problem with the throttle cable or thumb throttle that caused a problem like this. Give me a couple days and I will get back here to let you know what I found.

Hope this helps.

250excrf250r
02-10-2008, 03:07 PM
its an 2006 and the 2nd part about the choke makes ALOt of sence but let me know about the other tread

250excrf250r
02-10-2008, 03:29 PM
but it still hadnt been starteed for 6 mounths so the carb is going to need a cleaning either way

mojavemark
02-11-2008, 06:06 PM
Here is one fix for back firing I found, just something you might want to look at.

The backfiring is the ETC as stated before. It's set up to rev limit the motor on decelleration. If you take off the throttle housing cover, you can see a little metal tab that makes contact with a micro switch. You can hear it click when contact is made. Bend that tab out away from the switch a little. The idea is to have it still make contact in the event the throttle cable were to break. You may have to try it a couple times, but I am positive this is your problem. There was a Polaris bulletin on this. Your shop should know about it, but it was 2 years ago so they may have forgotten.

mojavemark
02-11-2008, 06:32 PM
I could not find the thread about what spark plug to use. The best I can remember is that it was either a step hotter or colder.
I would call a dealership and ask them, they should know.

Once you get the thing running, post back and let us know how its working out for you. One place to check with for after market parts is a rick ritter racing. not sure what his website is but a yahoo search should find it. I hear has some aftermarket parts, like an exhusat.

250excrf250r
02-11-2008, 06:56 PM
well it starts but when you give it gas it pops, backfires and wont move in gear i tries to but wont

mojavemark
02-18-2008, 05:15 PM
Sounds like a weak spark maybe. Have you cleaned the plug again? Also be sure to check the air filter assembly, the one on my stepson's has came off and caused it to run real lean before.