PDA

View Full Version : How is your 90x holding up?

musky
02-09-2008, 07:07 AM
It's been pretty quiet on the Can Ams lately, I was wondering if anyone has had problems or issues with their 90x? We are just waiting on Max rpm to get the parts finished up. My son has been putting his quad to the test every chance he gets & it seems to doing just fine.

Phugg
02-09-2008, 07:19 AM
Ours is doing great , its a little coldblooded on cold days , but thats a 4 stroke. Suspension is set for a little heavier kid (adult) than we have. Our daughter is a whaopping 45 pounds at 8 years old. The choke cable came loose from the housing at the grip, but a quick tighten of a set screw solved that. The only real issue I have so far is the levers are a little to big for a small hand. I have a fix in mind , but am waiting to get a couple new brake handles to play with. I plan on shaving them down a little bit so they are closer to the grip, and welding on a small piece to the mount to limit the backspring. It is still a bit gutless (but thats ok with the kids for now. I dont like how long it takes to engage a gear either , but later with re-clutching that should be solved. The lil quad is stable as can be and I have gotten really good at doing "stoppies" on it.

tmfracing
02-09-2008, 07:01 PM
My son's is holding up just fine. No problems. We are also waiting for the parts from Maximum RPM. My son pins it in the corners and this thing does not roll at all. Very wide stance and my son's confidence keeps growing with ever ride.

tlskinn
02-10-2008, 10:12 AM
Thanks for the updates. I am headed to another State next weekend to get a look at one of these. The dealers here (S.Dak...only two of them), don't stock them. Do any of you do much trail riding or primarily mx? Any pics you have and countinous info is appreciated.

musky
02-12-2008, 03:43 PM
My son is planning on racing xc race this year on his Can Am & has been running his quad pretty hard. He has around 60 hrs on it without no problems. In my opinion it's a great trail quad with its width & long travel suspension. I will try to post a few pictures.

musky
02-12-2008, 03:56 PM
Riley says the quad feels really stable on uneven ground

musky
02-12-2008, 04:05 PM
The 90x with new exhaust & clutches should be competitive in a limited mod.class

tlskinn
02-13-2008, 07:03 PM
How old is the rider in the pics?

Have most of you pulled the "grey wire" or are you running it straight out of the crate.

musky
02-13-2008, 07:26 PM
He just turned 9 a few weeks ago, 53" & 63lbs. I have'nt messed with the grey wire. We are planning on replacing the cdi when they are finished. That will eliminate the rev. limiter.

GLENNZWIEG
02-19-2008, 12:40 PM
bad news on mine-----we had a cold snap, and the ice racing was cancelled for two weeks in a row, so my daughter was chomping at the bit to ride hers for the 1st time-----we finally get a nice day(25 and sunny)---so we head to the lake to run it against our stock lt 80 and our mod lt 80-----about 30 minutes into riding, gretchen says it shut off-----walk over-push the button---UGLY noises-----

took it to vetesnik in richlad center wi-----covered under warranty and had it back in 10 days

apparently, the oil pump cracked--didnt pump, and took out the crank,piston,cylinder, and head---i hope this isnt a re-curring problem

FISH ON!
02-20-2008, 07:06 PM
It didn't take my 9 year old too many trips to the mini-MX track before he was holding it wide open all the way around. The only thing he has broke so far is the rear fender support bracket while jumping. Get a little bit of mud on those fenders and the bracket doesn't seem to be strong enough to take it. We're going to make some out of a little stronger material. We also are waiting for MaxRPM to come out with the much need motor mods. Other than the lack of power it's a great machine. He likes jumping. At 70 lbs he does get some quick rebound from the rear shock. The front suspension works great for him right now. I think we're going to invest in a new rear shock soon. It's a great woods quad. I have no worries about him being able to go anywhere I go. The big tires and wide stance handle the big ruts just fine.

Oh............ the parking break is useless after a few times, some of the stickers have come off, the chain stretched pretty quickly, and.................that's about it.

tlskinn
02-20-2008, 08:15 PM
You guys are a wealth of info on this model....THANKS. Based on your comments I made the decision to order one today. Unfortunately I couldn't get it done. Is it standard to add freight $250 and set up $150 over the MSRP price?

Z400Pilot
02-20-2008, 11:52 PM
I just got my son's back from the dealer today , I bought it about 3 weeks ago. They ordered me a new brake lever as the parking brake didn't work as the lever had chunked where the parking brake lever engages. I'm pretty sure it will do it with the new lever too. My son has one ride on the quad. After our ride I went to check how much gas it used and I was surprised the inside of the tank was rusty. So for the last 10 days it was at the dealer getting a new tank shipped in and the carb cleaned.

On the positive side, the quad is extremely stable and seems to have good ground clearance. I'm pretty sure my son will be able to follow me around will little problems. The real test will be when I take it to the dunes.

Has anyone taken theirs to the dunes yet?

musky
02-21-2008, 03:31 PM
My sons was $3299 + $164.95 for tax. The freight & set up fee doesnt sound right to me. Maybe you could call Can Am & ask them

Phugg
02-21-2008, 04:06 PM
Frieght and setup are valid on ANY vehichle purchased. The price is always in there somewhere , either higher sticker or just posted. We have bought many quads, bikes from dealers and have had them on every single purchase.

tlskinn
02-21-2008, 04:36 PM
That is what I thought...the fact if it is disclosed or not is another question.

On a side note, I ended up pulling the trigger 30 minutes ago. As you veterans probably already know...I learned more on this forum about this unit, then any of the dealers (salesmen/women and service managers) could tell me. Thanks again....now the painful process of waiting starts. Keep the pics rolling!:)

musky
02-21-2008, 04:56 PM
All that I know is that I spoke with 4 dealerships before I ordered my sons & the price was set by Can am $3299. I realize that all that other stuff is included in there so why should you hve to pay another $400 on top of that.

tlskinn
02-21-2008, 05:12 PM
I should have mentioned....I bought from a different dealer. I paid MSRP OTD. Montana has no tax, but if I register it in SDak via the MSO, then I need to pony up 6%. The local dealer would have been MSRP plus 6%. plus the freight/hanlding/setup. I cut the deal down by about $300 less a tank of diesel to get it. When I bought my Kaw 400 a few years ago I ended up in Mont. also. I try to buy local...but the market is pretty fat here....besides I was more knowlegeable then the local dealer which was a bit bothersome. :ermm:

FISH ON!
02-22-2008, 06:18 AM
I paid $3200 total (which is below MSRP of $3299) for my son's 90X and they threw in a $100 helmet allowance. The freight and set-up is just BS your local dealer is adding. Insist on not paying it. That's money you'll want to save for a new exhaust pipe.

Good Luck

tlskinn
02-22-2008, 01:52 PM
Have any of you add the pipe or clutch kit yet? I've read other posts but haven't been able to determine if they are actually available yet.

musky
02-22-2008, 02:31 PM
The clutches are available now & a handful of exhaust & cdis may be available within the next 10 days. The chinese new year really put a stop to everything. We should be getting some of the first parts out. We are putting everything made so far on the quad, should change hp from 3.6 to 7.1.

KFX450Rrider490
10-11-2008, 07:19 AM
i dont know if this happened to anyone else but our exhaust broke off at the muffler and we hav no idea how it was never hit or anything??

musky
10-11-2008, 08:05 AM
My sons did the same thing back in March. It looked like there was to much weld on the pipe & not very much on the muffler. We had a koso exhaust at the time it broke so we just intalled it.

tlskinn
10-11-2008, 11:14 AM
Hi Musky...nice to see you posting. We have only had a small issue with the started staying on. It quits after you move a foot or so. We still don't have a ton of hours on it, but trying as hard as possible before winter hits (snowed here last night).

musky
10-11-2008, 04:54 PM
Hey Tim good to hear from ya. Thats kinda of funny , I was just on my way home & heard the Dakotas could get a foot of snow & made think of you. Hows your sons arm healing? Riley's head is fine or at least as good as it ever was. We still never let him race the rest of the year. That sucks to because the gncc race today was 30miles from the house.

We are still fighting the transmission but I think that I know what started causing the problems. Can Am said the warranty is dead but then the reconsidered. To long of a story for here. Give me a call sometime.

P.S
Hows the pike fishing? Its hot & dry here but the musky are starting to fire up. We have busted 4 the last 2 trips.