PDA

View Full Version : wire cut / race map

kiwi-craig
02-09-2008, 12:43 AM
Can someone please explain this and idealy provide a picture so we know what wire - where to be cut.

Thanks Guys

BSTURDIVANT
02-09-2008, 09:27 AM
Here it is under tape- cut and seal each end.

canam450
02-09-2008, 11:57 AM
what do you mean by cut and seal each end... i just cut the wire in the middle

jeepeater347
02-09-2008, 01:01 PM
Just peel the blue tape up and the is a wire looped up. Cut it and tape it back up so the ends cant touch

kiwi-craig
02-09-2008, 01:07 PM
thanks guys !

spanky101
02-09-2008, 02:30 PM
brent, you are the man!

ohiomotoxer
02-11-2008, 09:43 AM
Actually..... I'm the man. (motoz/hmf)

http://hmfengineering.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3342

spanky101
02-11-2008, 01:01 PM
haha i guess i have to take that back! haha great pictures and that hmf is lookin pretty nice on there!

ds450
02-12-2008, 03:01 PM
I just cut the pink wire on mine 2 days ago but I havent rode it yet but there are alot of bolts you have to take out to get the plastics off. All the bolts make the fenders nice and firm compared to Honda, yamaha, ect.

WatersRacing
02-12-2008, 03:08 PM
The plastic gets easier to take off each time you do. It is a little confusing though the first time.
How much of the plastic did you end up taking off? When I was trying to get to the wire the first time I tried to just take specific plastic off in the front. Found out though its much easier to just take all the plastic off except the rear fenders in one piece. Everything from the front fenders and fins in front of the radiator to the plastic back by your legs comes off as one.

ds450
02-12-2008, 04:40 PM
I took all the plastics off besides the back fenders. I looked at it and saw it would be much easier to just take them all off in one piece.

m.h.s.c.#527
02-24-2008, 12:54 AM
what does this pink wire do

ds450maniac
02-24-2008, 09:44 AM
it opens up a race map and the quad hauls a** I heard when you take out the exhaust baffle and take the air filter lid off and cut the pink wire. hope this helps you #527

RaptorLover
03-03-2008, 12:09 PM
How do you guys know that ?:confused:

ds450
03-03-2008, 01:08 PM
I dragged an 05 Honda 450r that has a HRC cam, Sparks exhaust, and jetted and he beat me by a quad length.... :(

I have the pink wire cut, baffle out, and the air box lid off with a motoworks filter..... I was spinning like crazy plus I can feel the stock exhaust holding so much power back still. I need an exhaust but I cant decide what to get yet. Im thinking sparks because they are putting the most testing in.

nvrpmx
03-03-2008, 08:15 PM
Go with the motoworks pipe you will be happy.Give them a call 951-587-9222

ds450
03-03-2008, 08:27 PM
I like how the rossiers work on the trx450 so I decided to look into them and call them and they said a power commander isnt needed with their pipe.... And I asked him why?

He told me that rossier helped design the pink wire map/race map for Cam Am. He said they did testing with their pipe before the ds450 was out and sent can am the mapping so they could make the pink wire map. He said if I dyno mine with the rossier on it and the pink wire cut with an aftermarket filter setup it will dyno perfect and it wont be too lean or too rich anywhere in the power curve.

So I think im getting a rossier because I already have the pink wire cut and why spend $350 on a power commander when i dont need to. Plus the rossier is cheaper! :)

Spaceace
03-04-2008, 11:12 AM
Originally posted by ds450
I like how the rossiers work on the trx450 so I decided to look into them and call them and they said a power commander isnt needed with their pipe.... And I asked him why?

He told me that rossier helped design the pink wire map/race map for Cam Am. He said they did testing with their pipe before the ds450 was out and sent can am the mapping so they could make the pink wire map. He said if I dyno mine with the rossier on it and the pink wire cut with an aftermarket filter setup it will dyno perfect and it wont be too lean or too rich anywhere in the power curve.

So I think im getting a rossier because I already have the pink wire cut and why spend $350 on a power commander when i dont need to. Plus the rossier is cheaper! :)

I wonder if they will back that up with their dyno. I know they have a Dynojet Dynameter and I assume if they helped Can-Am develop the pink wire map, they must have the A/F ratio measurement upgrade. I live about 25 minutes from Rossier. I will buy their pipe and filter kit today if they will guarantee the tune will be correct simply by cutting the pink wire. If they dyno my bike afterwards and measure the AFR to show that I am not rich or lean anywhere in the powerband, I would gladly post the results on the forum so that they could have unbiased 3rd party validation that their HP and fuel map claims are accurate.

Anybody want to set the odds on if they would accept the challenge?

If they lose I wouldn't have to pay for the dyno runs, and I would only have to pay for the pipe, plus they would have to create a custom map for me that truely isn't rich or lean anywhere in the powerband.

The reason I am cynical is that it doesn't sound believable that Can-Am created the pink wire map to the Rossier pipe's specs. I might believe that Can-am gave them the map ahead of time to design their pipe to fit the map, but not that the map was designed to fit their pipe.

Besides if I were Can-Am I would make the race map for the stock exhaust minus baffle and open airbox. This way I wouldn't alienate other aftermarket companies who would create pipes for my product.

And if that is what Can-Am did and that map also happens to be perfect for the Rossier set-up, wouldn't that mean that the Rossier exhaust and filter kit flows the same amount of air as the stock minus baffle and open airbox lid? Then why spend the money?

Spaceace
03-04-2008, 11:44 AM
And if that is what Can-Am did and that map also happens to be perfect for the Rossier set-up, wouldn't that mean that the Rossier exhaust and filter kit flows the same amount of air as the stock minus baffle and open airbox lid? Then why spend the money?

...This last thought has me thinking... I would like to see a dyno chart of the stock pipe minus baffle and open airbox lid and pink wire cut VS. Rossier pipe and filter kit and pink wire cut.

ds450
03-04-2008, 01:08 PM
Im not saying Rossier is lieing but I just wanted to see what other people think of what they told me. They said can am made the pink wire map to work with an aftermarket exhaust so that racers can buy an exhaust and not have to buy a $400 programmer. Can Am wanted the ds450 to run with the other modded bikes just by putting an exhaust and cutting the pink wire.

Why doesnt someone else call them and ask if they helped design the mapping and see what they say to you? And they also said they are coming out with a milder cam that makes more bottom end for mx because the oem cams are basically setup for drag racing.

But I cut the wire and I took out the baffle and removed the lid and mine runs really rich. I also just added a motoworks filter and it helped some I think.

ScottB125
03-19-2008, 07:45 PM
I cut the pink wire, under blue tape, and I can't tell a bit of difference. I left the air lid off too.

There isn't another pink wire under blue tape is there?..lol. I think mine had a blk stripe.

ds450
03-20-2008, 06:18 AM
Thats the right wire. Did you remove the baffel? And mine didnt make all the power until I cut 1" off the top of the air box. We dynoed mine after cutting it and that still isnt enough because it made more with the seat off.

ScottB125
03-20-2008, 06:47 AM
I haven't taken the baffle out. I didn't have the right allen wrench size. I was looking at getting a complete FMF exhaust, so I may wait.

Has anyone looked at the throttle body on one of these? Coming from the car world, you can usually smooth the inlets and check that the blade is 90* to the incoming air.

ds450
03-20-2008, 08:09 AM
Without removing the baffel you wont notice much of a difference. I just installed my rossier exhaust last night and it sounds like it helped alot but I didnt get to ride it yet.

choadium
03-23-2008, 10:56 PM
Will I be OK running a full Motoworks exhaust with only the pink wire cut, or will I NEED to buy a power commander? I'm confused. Sorry to hijack.

BSTURDIVANT
03-24-2008, 08:34 AM
Should run great!

TheNewn
03-27-2008, 05:57 AM
Hmm, I'd love to hear directly from Can-Am on this. I was under the impression that the pink wire was only good enough for the baffle/airbox lid off. Similar to the cherry bomb on the LTR.

It would be great if it worked with a full exhaust...

Edit: Dont know if this was mentioned/seen but HMF says its alright as well.

http://hmfengineering.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3338

Dyno run on that page, shows that the race map/exhaust runs great. But if you get a EFI controller as well, it adds a bit of top end. Bottom/Mid stay the same.

keglassg
03-30-2008, 01:12 PM
what exactly is this pink wire and what purpose does it serve? also what advantage does one recieve when its cut?

spanky101
03-30-2008, 02:20 PM
it adds more fuel when you take off the airbox lid and exhaust from the sounds of it...

ds450
03-30-2008, 08:18 PM
I dynoed mine at work with the lid off, baffel out, and pink wire cut and its running really lean. It was lean on bottom end, mid it was almost perfect and thats where it made all its power, but it started to lean out again when the rpms started to get over 8 or 9 grand and then the power started dropping off. The idel mixture is around 14, but at top end mine was running 18.5 which is really lean. With an exhaust it will just be leaning it out a little bit more. Im gonna hook the pink wire up and dyno it with my exhaust on and see if it really makes a difference.