PDA

View Full Version : stock EX doesnt want to idle when cold?

bad_shee05
02-08-2008, 10:12 PM
Hey all. i have an 05 400ex and i havent had it long but the entire time i have had it, it just does not want to idle at all and it hesitates until its fully warmed up. Its winter and about 25-30 degrees right now and i start it up in a heated garage and i have to constantly gas it and keep it running for a good 15 minutes until it will finally idle on its own. i took the carb apart and cleaned it all up and didnt see anything wrong, choke works fine and everything and it fires right up i just cant take my finger off the throttle. I tried to up the idle and that helped alot but once it gets warmed up the idle is just really high and alot hight than i would like it to be. Any ideas? Im not sure what else to do. Any one know what the stock size jets are in the carb? The quad is all stock except tires and nerf bars and a uni air filter. Thanks!

my88r
02-08-2008, 10:21 PM
Originally posted by bad_shee05
Hey all. i have an 05 400ex and i havent had it long but the entire time i have had it, it just does not want to idle at all and it hesitates until its fully warmed up. Its winter and about 25-30 degrees right now and i start it up in a heated garage and i have to constantly gas it and keep it running for a good 15 minutes until it will finally idle on its own. i took the carb apart and cleaned it all up and didnt see anything wrong, choke works fine and everything and it fires right up i just cant take my finger off the throttle. I tried to up the idle and that helped alot but once it gets warmed up the idle is just really high and alot hight than i would like it to be. Any ideas? Im not sure what else to do. Any one know what the stock size jets are in the carb? The quad is all stock except tires and nerf bars and a uni air filter. Thanks!

set the idle down to where it was before. put a 42 pilot in that it should solve the cold blooded problem.

hornetgod13
02-08-2008, 11:02 PM
My88r is correct. Installing a larger pilot jet usually cures the cold starting blues. Stock jets are 38K Pilot and 148K Main. Going up one or two sizes on the pilot will help. If your quads intake and exhaust are unmodded I would suggest going to a 40K pilot jet. If the airbox lid was off and/or you had an aftermarket exhaust I would bump it up to a 42K pilot. You can buy individual jets at most local motorcycle/ATV dealerships or online at www.jetsrus.com

bad_shee05
02-08-2008, 11:18 PM
thanks guys, i just ordered a few jets to try and hopefully it helps! Thanks!

my88r
02-08-2008, 11:24 PM
thanks guys, i just ordered a few jets to try and hopefully it helps! Thanks!

i will bet 95% it will start better with a bigger pilot.:)

quad2xtreme
02-09-2008, 08:15 AM
it will definitely start better but don't be surprised if you still have to baby the throttle for a couple minutes before it truly idles fine on its own.

/Jon

CarGuy7a
02-09-2008, 02:25 PM
Originally posted by quad2xtreme
it will definitely start better but don't be surprised if you still have to baby the throttle for a couple minutes before it truly idles fine on its own.

/Jon

especially if ur running an open airbox like me. i have a #40 pilot in mine and i still have to baby it just a little bit when it's real cold out. summertime it's fine though.

TRXRacer1
02-09-2008, 05:20 PM
You probably don't need any parts. Have you tried adjusting the mixture screw?

bad_shee05
02-10-2008, 12:44 PM
yeah. what kinda tool do you need for that one? i just took a sharp punch and made a line across it so i could turn it with a screw driver and then i turned it in all the way and then out 2 turns and still didnt do much so i turned it in a half turn and it was better and then another quarter turn and it made it worse so i kept it at 1 and a half out. I ordered a bigger pilot and main jet because i made a couple air box mods and i got a slip on pipe for my quad so i stepped it up a bit. I hope that helps it out! Thanks guys!

TRXRacer1
02-10-2008, 01:03 PM
yeah. what kinda tool do you need for that one? i just took a sharp punch and made a line across it so i could turn it with a screw driver and then i turned it in all the way and then out 2 turns and still didnt do much so i turned it in a half turn and it was better and then another quarter turn and it made it worse so i kept it at 1 and a half out. I ordered a bigger pilot and main jet because i made a couple air box mods and i got a slip on pipe for my quad so i stepped it up a bit. I hope that helps it out! Thanks guys! Dynojet recommends 3 turns out. Not sure what mine is set at without checking it but the stock pilot was never a problem for my cold weather idling.

I see you're from Indiana. I'll be down there at the Badlands tomorrow with some friends. My favorite place to ride in IN is Haspin Acres but that trip isn't untill June.

bad_shee05
02-10-2008, 06:29 PM
i just bought a house at the end of last summer and im about 10 minutes from the badlands. Im really looking forward to the summer. I have never been to haspin acres but i heard its really cool. But i heard its more for racing people and its mostly tracks and stuff. My girl and I do some play racing and everything but dont get into it very seriously. We just like to trail ride and hill cllimb and play around.

nick249420
02-11-2008, 10:12 AM
mine wouldnt idle in the cold either

i just got the valves adj and its fine ..so mabey your problem is there ???

mattn03
02-11-2008, 10:38 AM
I ride mine around for 5-10 minutes taking it easy in 1st/2nd gear until it gets up to temp. After that, the idle and stumble problems are gone.

If you change to the larger jet for winter time, do you have to change back to the smaller jet in the summer time or will it be okay to run that year around?

TRXRacer1
02-12-2008, 03:32 PM
i just bought a house at the end of last summer and im about 10 minutes from the badlands. Im really looking forward to the summer. I have never been to haspin acres but i heard its really cool. But i heard its more for racing people and its mostly tracks and stuff. My girl and I do some play racing and everything but dont get into it very seriously. We just like to trail ride and hill cllimb and play around. Who ever told you it was mostly for racing must have never left the entry area. We're talking hundreds of acres of the best trails of any type of terrain you'd want. Lot's of hills, so be ready for fun and challenges. I consider Badlands beginner to intermediate and Haspin intermediate to advanced riding.