PDA

View Full Version : paintball gun help fast!!!

ATVMX905
02-08-2008, 07:16 PM
OK, i have a tippmann model 98 paintball gun. it has a 20oz co2 tank and the tank o ring is brand new. it just started leaking co2 recently. it sounds like it is coming out of the barrel and by the cocking bolt. are there rings in the gun that can go bad?? i need help. im playing tomorow.

ATVMX905
02-08-2008, 07:39 PM
anybody?? Even if you dont think ur right, any help is appreciated.:)

Blue250X
02-08-2008, 07:41 PM
I'm extremely rusty on paintball guns, and even more with tippmann. I know on the old spyders leaking from the barrel can be from o-rings on the bolt or the striker. I'm pretty sure this should apply on the tippy too. Have you ever split your gun and cleaned all of this?

ATVMX905
02-08-2008, 07:44 PM
Ive taken it apart once, but ive never lubed it. i just got it like a week ago from one of my friends. i traded my ps2 for it. i heard on a forum about the spyder that they said valves can cause leaking from the barrel. im not sure what is happening though.

Robin Hood
02-08-2008, 08:08 PM
Make sure that you have a good amount of CO2 in the tank. Sometimes a tank that is low on CO2 will cause leaks for some reason.

If it's coming from the barrel, I'd say try checking/tightening the bolts that hold the gun together. I wouldn't pull it completely apart just yet.

Which 450?
02-08-2008, 08:08 PM
its very normal to have to go through the gun and replace o-rings, I cant think of how the tippmann 98 comes apart... Im sure the leak is in the valve that the bolt hits before the recoil.

spanky101
02-08-2008, 08:21 PM
from what it sounds like is possibly an oring on one of the parts or simply isnt put together properly. Did it shoot when you got it? did it shoot after you took it apart once? How recent was the fill on the tank?

tman12345
02-08-2008, 08:39 PM
i would take it apart and replace any o rings that look funny. i have had a similar problem and it ended up being an o ring was shot.

ATVMX905
02-08-2008, 08:41 PM
yah it shot fine for a long time, it just started doing it so idk. it is prolly the valve oring but idk yet.

Scooter86
02-10-2008, 08:12 AM
Leaking down the barrel is usually a bad cup seal. It's been years since I had a 98, but I don't think it is something you can fix without sending the valve to a tech. There are a few things you can do though. First, take it apart and clean any old paint and grime out of the valve/striker/bolt area. Replace any o-rings that are accessible. You could start with any deformed, discolored, or hardened ones and see if that helps. If it still leaks replace the rest of the o-rings. Make sure you are putting a thin coating of gun oil on the new 'rings going in. Before airing it up, remove the barrel, make sure there is no paint in it, and put 3 or 4 drops of gun oil in the asa. Then turn the marker upside down after airing it up and dry fire it at least 15 or 20 times. If that doesn't do it you probably need that valve rebuilt.

In the future, you can lengthen the life of your o-rings and seals by always cleaning and lubing the marker thoroughly after use and keeping it lubed through the dry fire method before a day of play. Additionally taking steps to keep liquid CO2 out of the gun will also help. This can be done by getting an anti-siphon tube installed in your CO2 tank, running an expanson chamber, or even switching to compressed air. Good luck getting your Tippy running!

spanky101
02-10-2008, 10:35 AM
hey, just noticed you say youngstown in your location, im from austintown man. Take it to pbsphere in boardman nd they will set you up right!