PDA

View Full Version : Honda 450R leaking gas carb

Depalma
02-08-2008, 04:50 PM
Went to start my 450 today and gas was pouring out of the hose on the right side of the carb(sitting on quad) it wasn't the hose from the overflow float it is on the right side. I didn't start the quad for about 3 weeks it is not coming from the overflow it is the tube av. The dealer said it might be the needle vlve or they said tap the carb because the float can be stuck any help would be great. thanks

KEVIN132
02-08-2008, 08:09 PM
a common prob. just remove the bottom of carb . the piece that looks like a old bomb! that goes on float hinge is probally a little stuck. spray it good and you will be fine.
:)
also check the screen in your carb . alot of people dont even know there is a screen in it!:rolleyes: not that this is the prob but good to clean out !:macho

atvrulz
02-08-2008, 08:45 PM
Mine did the same. But the gas only ran out when the quad was running. I just cleaned my carb really good and it stopped.

Depalma
02-09-2008, 05:50 AM
Wahts the best stuff to use for carb to spray in it and is it safe to put any stuff in your gas with a 450r?

440challenger
02-09-2008, 06:19 AM
The only way to do it is to take off the carb. Pull the floats and clean the needle and seat. While your there clean out your pilot jet too. The gas now a days turns to crap in a few weeks. Its a very common problem, always doing at least 5 a week lately.

If your going to store the quad for a bit of time, i suggest not leaving pump gas in there. It breaks down too quick. Leave some vp red or c 12 as it will hold its octane and not break down any where near fast as pump.

atvrulz
02-11-2008, 08:48 AM
Use a good quality fuel stabilizer in your gas to prevent breakdown.

KEVIN132
02-11-2008, 03:08 PM
man you jinxed me!!
i had my kids motor apart . took a while. and bam carb was gummed up.
took it apart and cleaned it . fine now!!:D

440challenger
02-12-2008, 05:31 AM
Originally posted by atvrulz
Use a good quality fuel stabilizer in your gas to prevent breakdown.

Not true with my experience lately. when the fuel was good,i would say yes. but nowadays, the fuel contains ethanol and the stabilizers are not mixing with the fuel and causing more problems then ever. We have many customers complaining, and I also hear horror stories from friends in the boating industry. but to each his own.

atvrulz
02-12-2008, 10:00 AM
I use seafoam stabilizer with high ethanol based fuels and have had no problems.

Originally posted by 440challenger
Not true with my experience lately. when the fuel was good,i would say yes. but nowadays, the fuel contains ethanol and the stabilizers are not mixing with the fuel and causing more problems then ever. We have many customers complaining, and I also hear horror stories from friends in the boating industry. but to each his own.

bananas
09-16-2008, 05:44 AM
A few months ago I had the same problem, i pulled off the tank 3 times, pulled off the carb too.. The only thing that got it to stop was starting the quad and running it for a few.

I just changed my gas tank and I made sure it was clean, same thing again, so I just started it and it was fine again... I am running super in it too..

TRX450r 06...

motoboy66
09-16-2008, 10:07 PM
No to stabalizers. I winterized my jet ski last year, and for the first time used fuel stabalizer in it, years befor I would just run the carbs out of gas. needless to say when I went to use it the first time it was a real dog. I ended up having to clean the carbs, as the stabalizer had gummed everything up. Ill never use it in anything again.

If your going to store your quad for a while just drain the floatbowl and gas tank. Im sure you can use the gas for something around the house. When your ready to ride just add new gas and go.