PDA

View Full Version : who makes good 440s??

STEVER925
02-08-2008, 04:25 PM
hey guys Im looking th have my motor rebuilt but dont know who to go with. am I better off sending to duncan or sparks or just sticking to the locals?? we dont have much choices around here but I know bristol make a good motor. Im just wondering what everyone else knows that I dont thanks. I race MX every weekend In the AM class so I need a good motor. what does everyone think??

xcracer416
02-08-2008, 08:07 PM
well it dependds on the $$$$$$ if you know what i mean. i had duncan do my retired race bike that i now use for practice that thing will haul the mail. but i think from what ive researched sparks is awsome with the 400's. if you want cheap and questionably reliable i would hit up the locals, but if you want serious and dependable spend the money and get duncan or sparks to make the beast. I dont know if 4 stroke tech is still operational but they made a hoss of a motor for chad duvall when he raced pro production

STEVER925
02-08-2008, 08:42 PM
you can race a 440 in pro production??

Ty's400
02-08-2008, 09:33 PM
I had a GT Thunder 440 kit with a ported head, hot cam, and FCR39 carb. That thing had great power!

ThreeDollaBills
02-09-2008, 07:48 AM
Originally posted by Ty's400
I had a GT Thunder 440 kit with a ported head, hot cam, and FCR39 carb. That thing had great power!

How much was the FCR carb? I'm getting that same thing done to mine, except I'm stroking my crankshaft at the same time.

Ty's400
02-09-2008, 08:39 AM
I don't remember exactly the price of the carb. I would guess somewhere around $300-400 roughly. I got it brand new from C&D Racing here on the site.

Wheelie
02-09-2008, 08:45 AM
Whatever you do, don't send it to CT Racing. They build a engine, don't stand behind it, jack their customers around and treat customers like crap.

STAY AWAY FROM CT RACING!!

PS--They built my brothers LT500 engine. It ran for about an hour before it blew a head gasket and darn near burned a hole in the piston. They jetted it for sea level and set the compression for pump gas. The engine was running on 93 octane and broke in at 1500ft.

scruff_mcruff
02-09-2008, 04:32 PM
Originally posted by Wheelie

PS--They built my brothers LT500 engine. It ran for about an hour before it blew a head gasket and darn near burned a hole in the piston. They jetted it for sea level and pump gas. The engine was running on 93 octane and broke in at 1500ft.
if they jetted it for sea level than it should have been a bit fat and been running cooler, not burning the piston up. sounds like something else was wrong. and 93 oct is pump gas.

and to the OG poster. just buy my kit off of ebay:D item #270209166920

Wheelie
02-09-2008, 04:37 PM
They assembled the engine, sent it back in a crate supposedly ready to run. When the engine blew the head gasket, I called them, Allen Knowles got pissed and very defensive. He told me the engine was jetted wrong--HE JETTED IT HIMSELF and told me it was setup for sea level.

The engine hadn't even been opened up yet. We had just finished breaking the engine in.

CT Racing is a joke, they do poor quality work, take too long, and don't stand behind their product.