PDA

View Full Version : Moose Racing DUAL GASSER Thumb & Twist Throttle Combo!

08400EX
02-08-2008, 04:00 PM
Hi guys,

Just finshed some riding time with the Moose Racing Dual Gasser Thumb/Twist Throttle..this thing is Badd!!! It is made by Terry Cable and also sold by them.

For those of you that came from dirt bikes to quads, this is almost a must have! No more thumb cramp on long rides, etc, and the 1/4 turn throttle makes the throttle response with the twist a TON of FUN!

For those that have never seen this, it is a combination thumb and twist throttle. You can use the thumb throttle (which IMHO is ergonomically better than the stock one) or use the twist throttle. When in normal mode both are active, you just use the one you want. Then if you want a more rigid handle bar, you can push in a pin and lock the twist throttle and it is just like stock.

Installation was a snap, you can use your stock cable and it took me about 10-15 minutes to install, including changing the grips.

Retail is $149, but my local Honda parts dude cut me some slack and I got it for $119, and he had it delivered from their distributor in 4 hours! They are also on Ebay for around that price.

So far, 2 Thumbs (and Twists) UP from me. :-)

http://www.928gt.com/images/400ex/CIMG2175a.JPG

http://www.928gt.com/images/400ex/CIMG2176a.JPG

http://www.928gt.com/images/400ex/CIMG2177a.JPG

REDRIDDER
02-08-2008, 07:46 PM
Thats pretty sweet ...nice!!!

REDRIDDER
02-08-2008, 07:50 PM
08400EX
how do you like your seat on your 08 ex? makes me want to convert my 03 to 08 plastics just so i can have that seat lol, it looks more comfortable than the originals.Also do you know if the frames on the 99-07 are the same as on the 08s?Thanks .

08400EX
02-08-2008, 08:07 PM
Frame looks to be the same.

The seat is the biggest improvement. With the plastic update you can either love it or hate it, but the seat is GREAT! The whole quad feels much more roomier, much more "huggable" like a dirt bike because it is so narrow in front, and easier to move around on at speed. As far as comfort, come to think of it, I haven't thought about the seat when riding, which means a lot.

flauge
02-08-2008, 10:51 PM
I'll tell ya man. Im seriously thinking about using this for xc. It'll really help out when my thumb starts locking up. But then again, I dont think I'll be too great in the woods with a twist throttle. :ermm:

my88r
02-08-2008, 11:23 PM
Originally posted by flauge
I'll tell ya man. Im seriously thinking about using this for xc. It'll really help out when my thumb starts locking up. But then again, I dont think I'll be too great in the woods with a twist throttle. :ermm:

i would like to ride a quad with a twist throttle. i know when i hop on my ktm i like the twist. :ermm:

glamiskid395
02-08-2008, 11:39 PM
my sister got that terry cable version for her 05 trx450r and she likes it, but rarely uses the twist part of it.

i took it up a dune at olds, came back down and used the twist and flipped the bike right over cuz i twisted it to far to fast. :eek2:

i'm thinkin of gettin it for my 400 though.

flauge
02-09-2008, 12:03 AM
I had a motion pro twist for about a week and took it back off after I had a couple close calls with some trees....:eek:
But with the dual gasser I think it'll be better.. Keep it on the thumb for the technical stuff, and when I get out on the straights or open parts switch over to twist to give my thumb a rest..;)

DF400ex
02-09-2008, 07:26 AM
I think having the option of a twist and a thumb throttle is a great idea. I would definitely like the thumb for the tight technical stuff, but the twist is a must for longer rides. I ride a lot (when I'm not in the sandbox, lol) and even after a whole season of riding, my thumb still gets cramped on all day rides. I'll be getting one of these when I finally get back.

08400EX
02-09-2008, 07:59 AM
Originally posted by DF400ex
I think having the option of a twist and a thumb throttle is a great idea. I would definitely like the thumb for the tight technical stuff, but the twist is a must for longer rides. I ride a lot (when I'm not in the sandbox, lol) and even after a whole season of riding, my thumb still gets cramped on all day rides. I'll be getting one of these when I finally get back.

Yes, even thou I come from a few decades of dirt bike riding I do see the advantage of the thumb throttle in some situations, although I do think if Quads had never had thumb throttles people could ride just as technical with a twist as they do now with a thumb. I do understand there is a lot more body/weight shift and handlebar leverage needed on a quad vs. a bike, but I think we adapt to what we are used to. Heck if those Superbike guys can hang off of the side of a bike at close to 200mph and still control the throttle, body/weight shift control and steering leverage at those speeds, I think we could learn to do it on a quad below 60-70mph, and we are on 4 wheels (part of the time :-)

Anyway, the main reason I wanted the Dual Gasser is there are times when we have to do some long rides on roads and easier areas where the twist will be a welcome addition to give the thumb a break. I first started thinking seriously about it on our 4 day ride trip to the Hatfield-McCoy trail over the New Years. On New Years eve my wife and I had ridden most of the day on the trails going from Gilbert to Man , WV . By the time we got to the trailhead at Man it was close to 4:30 and the temps were around 38 degrees. The HMT trails are closed after dark and at that time of year it would be dark in an hour so riding back on the trail was a no-go (legally anyway). Plus my wife was getting pretty cold as we were pretty soaked and mud covered from the ride. We made the decision to take the short cut home on the highway, that would only take 30-40 minutes or so at "highway speeds". After about 15 minutes of steady speed with the thumb throttle in mid 30 degree weather I thought my thumb was gonna break off. By the time we made it back in the dark I had made up my mind to research a combo throttle for at least situations like that. That is what finally lead me to the Dual Gasser.

I am heading out today to one of my favorite ride places so I will know for sure by the end of the day if it is a keeper, even thou I know it is. Funny thing is my wife rode my 400 yesterday and now she wants a Dual Gasser for her 250EX. Her first comment from riding was "dang, that twist throttle could get you into trouble" as she smiled real big :-)

hornetgod13
02-09-2008, 09:27 AM
Great Post! This is on the top of my Valentine's Day gift list from the wife. My thumb often craps on long rides and it would be great to have a twist throttle option.

08400EX
02-09-2008, 12:17 PM
Originally posted by hornetgod13
Great Post! This is on the top of my Valentine's Day gift list from the wife. My thumb often craps on long rides and it would be great to have a twist throttle option.

Hi Hornet,

Happy Saturday!!

I know you will like it, especially with that extra power from the new mods!! BUT, be careful the first time you twist it, it is only 1/4 turn and the afterburner kicks in FAST !!

Unfortunately my ride trip got postponed until tomorrow, wife came back from Post Office this morning and said truck was making a grinding noise in the back :-(
Gonna be replacing rear brake pads and rotors today *$&@^@$*!!

Oh well, that has given me time to do all the updates to my carb today before my ride tomorrow. Just finished installing the 42 pilot, and new early style(03) adjustable needle and "flat head" mixture screw.

NacsMXer
02-09-2008, 01:16 PM
Just curious....is there ANY play in the grip forward or back when the twist is locked out?

08400EX
02-09-2008, 01:27 PM
Originally posted by NacsMXer
Just curious....is there ANY play in the grip forward or back when the twist is locked out?

Yes, a very slight amount. I would say 1/2 to 1 degree maybe ??

It is from the lock pin being slightly smaller diameter than the hole on the twist section. I guess if they made it a tighter tolerance it would be harder to engage/disengage.

If they would design a chamfer on the end of the pin then they could tighten the tolerance and still make the engagement easy.

BUT, it really isn't noticable so far. I actually had to go and feel for the play when you asked because I hadn't noticed it when riding.

REDRIDDER
02-09-2008, 06:59 PM
Originally posted by 08400EX
Frame looks to be the same.

The seat is the biggest improvement. With the plastic update you can either love it or hate it, but the seat is GREAT! The whole quad feels much more roomier, much more "huggable" like a dirt bike because it is so narrow in front, and easier to move around on at speed. As far as comfort, come to think of it, I haven't thought about the seat when riding, which means a lot. thanks for the information.:D

hornetgod13
02-10-2008, 10:51 AM
Do you think my PowerMadd mounting kit is too large to accomidate the dual gasser installation? Your mounting kit looks smaller than mine. I know it's a different brand. How much did it cost?

08400EX
02-10-2008, 11:14 AM
EDIT/Update: I just checked and you should be able to use the standard PowerMadd mounts with the Dual Gasser.

I am pretty sure you will need to change to the ROX mounts. I will look closer at my wife's standard PM mounts and see if I can tell for sure.

Check this thread for more details and pics.

http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&postid=3141841#post3141841

Got to ride some today until the wind got so bad (severe wind warnings in the mountains 35mph w/60mph gusts). The more I ride with it the more I like it!! Gonna get a second one for my wife.

08400EX
02-10-2008, 11:45 AM
Hornet,

I just checked and it will work with the standard Powermadd mounts. If I recall you have yours coming across the top (vs going on the underside) and as you know it is already tight on the throttle cable adjuster. If will be the same with the Dual Gasser. I can send pics if you need me to.

Thanks for asking that becasue I would have sworn it wouldn't work and had alreadly palneed to spend the extra $ to get the Rox mounts for my wife. You just saved me $40!!

Will edit above post.

hornetgod13
02-10-2008, 10:19 PM
I got the green light to buy one as a Valentine's present using the Wife's debit card. Woo Hoo!
I'm down in Key West for a 3 week detachment with the Navy so it won't get installed until after March 1st.

casey_lamm
02-11-2008, 06:29 AM
im also picking one up. seems like a great concept.

I got the green light to buy one as a Valentine's present using the Wife's debit card. Woo Hoo!
I'm down in Key West for a 3 week detachment with the Navy so it won't get installed until after March 1st.

Mercedes
02-11-2008, 10:57 AM
Do they make thumb trottles that are softer than OEM. i have been fighting the cramps but this is getting out of hand(no punn intended). After a 200KM ride on friday, I could not even make it out to ride the next day.

Or is there any way to make is softer? My buddy's ltr450 throttle is like butter.

08400EX
02-11-2008, 11:57 AM
Originally posted by Mercedes
Do they make thumb trottles that are softer than OEM. i have been fighting the cramps but this is getting out of hand(no punn intended). After a 200KM ride on friday, I could not even make it out to ride the next day.

Or is there any way to make is softer? My buddy's ltr450 throttle is like butter.

The feel of the thumb throttle is going to directly related to the return spring on the carb itself and the ratio of the thumb movement. You can make the thumb ratio higher (longer throw), put then the throttle will not feel as responsive. plus you will have to move your thumb farther which would probably make matters worse. You could modify the carb, but that could cause safety problems etc.

I will say the shape and position of the thumb throttle on the Dual Gasser does feel more comfortable than the stock one.

They (Terry Cable/Moose) do make just a replacement thumb throttle for around $60 or so.

hornetgod13
02-11-2008, 03:30 PM
I see it takes a motorcycle grip. What did you use on the other side? Do I have to use 2 different types of grips?

08400EX
02-11-2008, 03:40 PM
I see it takes a motorcycle grip. What did you use on the other side? Do I have to use 2 different types of grips?

I ordered the the dirt bike version of the same gel grips I was using before. Temporarily I am using a cheapo plain Scotts dirt bike grip until the other set arrives.

No you don't have to have 2 types of grips, dirt bike grips have the small size on the left side and slightly larger size for the throttle tube on the throttle side. Actually there is a larger selection of grips for dirt bikes than ATVs. In other words any set of dirt bike grips will work.

NacsMXer
02-11-2008, 06:06 PM
Originally posted by Mercedes

My FCR39 can wear me out after repeated laps as well. I had a brand new motion pro cable on it but never thought to lube it.

What I did was I got some good silicone spray and shot it in from the top until a small amount dripped out by the carb. I then worked the thottle back and forth and all I could say was WOW. Both the action (how quick you could chop the throttle) and the effort were reduced by a good 40%. It was like a hot knife through butter every time you chopped the throttle. Simple to do and works great, night and day difference.

Also take out the throttle return spring in the thumb thottle housing if you already haven't, it helps a tad but most of the resistance is going to be in the cable and throttle spring in the carb.

08400EX
02-11-2008, 06:35 PM
Very good point!!

This also reminds me to mention that there is no direction in the instructions for the Dual Gasser concerning lubrucation. They are shipped "dry" which I find odd. Anyway I would recommend to have some silcone or lithium spray handy to lube the throttle tube and the inside of the Dual Gasser when you have it open to install the cable. It will be obvious where it needs it, every place that there is any movement of parts.

Mitragorz
02-14-2008, 06:57 PM
http://img405.imageshack.us/img405/5138/06320254fd1.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

Does this whole assembly just slip over the existing bar?

08400EX
02-14-2008, 07:17 PM
Originally posted by Mitragorz

Yes, mine ended up in the same postion as the stock thumb throttle housing.

My wife's Dual Gasser for her 250EX will be here tomorrow, I will post a pic of it to if it helps.

Mitragorz
02-14-2008, 07:25 PM
...I will post a pic of it to if it helps.

Absolutely. I bought an '01 last June, but the PO beat the crap out of it, so it was in the shop for a looong time, then I got a job and won't be back with it until this coming June. I'll have some money to spend then, so I'm trying to get ideas together.

Also, what are the dimensions on your bars, and how do you like them? Looking at the Fasst site, I see all the models, Woods, Enduro, etc... which style are yours?

08400EX
02-14-2008, 07:32 PM
Absolutely. I bought an '01 last June, but the PO beat the crap out of it, so it was in the shop for a looong time, then I got a job and won't be back with it until this coming June. I'll have some money to spend then, so I'm trying to get ideas together.

Also, what are the dimensions on your bars, and how do you like them? Looking at the Fasst site, I see all the models, Woods, Enduro, etc... which style are yours?

14 degree QUAD RACER Part # FL-1003-14-31

08400EX
02-20-2008, 12:03 PM

Yes, mine ended up in the same postion as the stock thumb throttle housing.

My wife's Dual Gasser for her 250EX will be here tomorrow, I will post a pic of it to if it helps.

Mitragorz,
Sorry, I just remembered I forgot to post the pics of the 250EX install last week.

It was just as easy as the other one. Due to the fact there are aluminum hand wraps plus the Powermadd standard mounts I did have to shift the brake perch over apprx. 1/8". This was to make sure there was no interferance at the end of the handlbar with the twist tube/grip and the aluminum hand wraps (see 2nd pic).

Here are the pics, hope it helps...

08400EX
02-20-2008, 12:04 PM
next..

08400EX
02-20-2008, 12:05 PM
last one..

n2quads4
02-23-2008, 05:18 PM
do you still have the dual gasser for sale.

hornetgod13
03-04-2008, 08:58 PM
I finally received my Terry Cable dual gasser today. Installed it in around and hour which included modifying the PowerMadd mounting bracket and installing a new grip.

I took it out and test drove it and I have to say it's one of my favorite mods. The 1/4 throttle takes a little bit to get used to but, it's great to be able to use either your thumb or twist throttle. I paid $119.00 off Ebay.

casey_lamm
03-05-2008, 03:55 PM
why did you have have to change your powermadd bracket?

I finally received my Terry Cable dual gasser today. Installed it in around and hour which included modifying the PowerMadd mounting bracket and installing a new grip.

I took it out and test drove it and I have to say it's one of my favorite mods. The 1/4 throttle takes a little bit to get used to but, it's great to be able to use either your thumb or twist throttle. I paid $119.00 off Ebay.

hornetgod13
03-05-2008, 04:55 PM
Originally posted by casey_lamm
why did you have have to change your powermadd bracket?

The Powermadd mounting bracket was too wide to fit between the throttle assembly and brake reservoir, even when I routed it underneath the handle bar. I ended up having to bench grind a 1/3 of it's width off to make it fit.

Mustangous
01-15-2009, 07:37 PM
Hornet and 08400ex, great idea guys...

Would you guys know the pros and cons from the moose and the terrycable twist throttles? both looks good. Heard their may be issues with the cable screw/tensioner on the terrycable? Hornet, did you have any issues? Also what kind of grips are they?

You guys got some sweet machines!

BigLuke
02-20-2009, 11:05 AM
Just got mine in today 119.00 plus shipping! I does take some getting used too, set it on the grab bar first time...

Mustangous
02-22-2009, 08:41 AM
any pics? which did you get, the moose?

wvbball27
12-05-2009, 08:01 PM
what size grip do you need? twist or will a thumb work?