PDA

View Full Version : Ranger

Scott-300ex
02-08-2008, 01:44 PM
Alright, well a chick ran a red light and I hit her cuz I couldn't see her untill she was in front of me cuz of cars in the turn lane on her road so I was goin threw the intersection and then BOOM a car in front of me. I was like "MOTHERF**KER!!!!!!!!!!!!" slammed on the brakes threw in the clutch and turned to the left. Big surprise I hit her. Then she starts driving away real fast, I'm like "You little B!t(h!!!" she pulled over and I did to after I chased her down.

So now I have a 87 dakota that insurance is gonna total, $2000 in damage.

Now I'm lookin for a new truck

I want a Ranger. Extended cab or regular with a long bed. 5-speed stick for sure and 2 or 4 wheel drive, 4 or 6 cyl but wutever it is I want it to have good power when I need it and get 20+ miles per gallon.

Any imput on power, insurance rates, or anything would be great.

And your not gonna talk me into buying a s10. Maybe a Toyota 1990 pickup like Lazur has, thats a dope truck!

rider250ex
02-08-2008, 03:24 PM
I have two rangers. One is an 00 extended cab with the 3.0l v6 and the other is a 93 regular cab longbed with the 3.0l v6. both are different motors but they have plenty of power and get great milage. try and get a 95 up 3.0l if you do.

my88r
02-08-2008, 07:41 PM
i wish i got the ranger over my s10. i need a atleast a v6 to pull our 6x14 enclosed..

mittman
02-08-2008, 10:12 PM
glad you chased that b!t(h down my uncle was in a accident about two weeks ago and the girl was on the cell phone (what a surprise) she cut him off but couldnt chase her down look on www.craigslist.org you should be able to find something on there

400exrider707
02-09-2008, 07:03 AM
My favorite year rangers are the 95-97's. 93-94 had the same body style, but the interiors were of old design and ugly. The 93-97 years have the ttb front suspension, which does go through balljoints and tires faster, but IMO, nothing compares in strength. Rock solid foundation, especially for a young kid who is bound to take it offroading. I would definitely go V6 if you're worried about power, but I dont know if you're going to get 20+mpg. I've had two rangers now myself. I had a 95 regular cab, short bed, 4 cyl, 5speed, 2x4. It was a fun truck, I could haul my quad around, it got 23mpg at the worst, but it was slooooow. Wouldn't get out of its own way, but that may be good for you I dont know, I know it was a good thing for me when I started driving. I then bought a 97 extended cab short bed 4.0V6 auto 4x4. This truck was so much better in many ways, though I would have rather had a 5 speed. Much more power, but only got about 17mpg highway and a little less if I did a lot of town driving. Again like anything, if you drive slow it will be better than that. I had as low as 14mpg towing with it though, and it wasn't anything large. Insurance rates will certainly be cheaper than driving a 2 door car or anything like that. Check out www.therangerstation.com or www.rangerpowersports.com lots of good info on those sites and you can ask some questions there. I also like www.dezertrangers.com they have some very cool builds there, and you will see the 93-97 setups are quite popular with the desert crowd.

Scott-300ex
02-09-2008, 01:47 PM
Thanks guys and mittman, that was halarious.

I test drove a ext. cab 5 speed 2001 with 68k miles on it and it waw a 4 cyl. It wasn't bad, it actually got up and went, so I think I'll go with a 4 cyl. cuz its faster than my truck is now and that thing did haul. I want good milage like 20+ so I'm gonna get the 2.3. It'll be good.

I'm not gonna get that one though, the interior was rough and it needed new tires and stuff.

Now I'm wondering if I should get a regular cab with a long bed, but I still think I'll get an extended cab.

Ext. cab 4 cyl 5 speed 2000 body style.

And I recomend to everyone to get a plastic bed liner or the spray in line-x stuff. You can dump anything in there and then just wash it out and you don't have to worry about rusting the bed or anything, its very nice.

Thanks guys. Any more info is still appreciated.

my88r
02-09-2008, 01:55 PM
i wish i went extended cab. with all my riding junk i need the room. especially when it rains.

Sjorge450R
02-09-2008, 02:26 PM
hey scott, was your dak a 3.9? If so how was the gas milage? I just had the carb rebuilt on mine and i am still getting about 10-12 mpg. Just wondering if this is a common milage for these truck. I love the truck tho and i dont wanna get rid of it. Sorry to hear about yours, its not to often you see one of the orignal dakotas any more :(

Scott-300ex
02-09-2008, 03:28 PM
Ha yeh, mine was a 2.2, it is slooooooooooooooooooooow, I try and make it faster cuz I'm real good at drivin a stick, haha. But I'm gettin about 23mpg out of mine. It doesn't accelerate very fast put I'm always passin traffic.

10-12? I think you'd be able to pull better than that.

My 5.0 Mustang can get 20 on the highway IF I RUN 93 OCTANE, if I run 87 I get 17, try runnin 93. And do you drive your foot to the floor? :devil:

mittman
02-09-2008, 03:36 PM
get the ext cab i wish mine was when i go to our hunting camp we stay for about a week and no one else can ride with me cus i end up taking the most crap if i got to take the beer that wouldnt be so bad:devil:

416exfreak
02-09-2008, 09:36 PM
I have a 93 Dodge D-150 with a 360 Magnum. I run 87 octane and get 17-18 mpg is I keep my foot out of it.

Stock engine with 184,XXX miles on it and it doesnt use a drop of oil. I do wish it wasnt a standard cab though.

No room for anything. :(

Sjorge450R
02-09-2008, 10:16 PM
Originally posted by Scott-300ex
Ha yeh, mine was a 2.2, it is slooooooooooooooooooooow, I try and make it faster cuz I'm real good at drivin a stick, haha. But I'm gettin about 23mpg out of mine. It doesn't accelerate very fast put I'm always passin traffic.

My 5.0 Mustang can get 20 on the highway IF I RUN 93 OCTANE, if I run 87 I get 17, try runnin 93. And do you drive your foot to the floor? :devil:

if i drive wiht a lead foot or regular, i get the same...lol. It pisses me off. Then again its cold right now and i was getting 12mpg this summer and i am getting 12 now when it is cold and when i drive its only for like 3 miles so my choke never turns fully off,. I will see what is going on after it warms up. I may try a disc filter on it.

KXRida
02-10-2008, 08:23 AM
Originally posted by Scott-300ex

try not being able to run 87 at all and getting 8-10 :D yah my brother's 396 in the ranger.

What years in particular are you looking for? The gen III's (93-97) can be found in pretty good shape for under 5,000. I have an 88 ranger with a 2.9. It doesn't get too bad mileage, but then again I have 35's on it so my estimated 15-17 isn't too bad only with 4.10's.

If you can find a 4.0, go for it. Not bad on gas and put out some decent power. I'm looking for a 4.0 to swap into my ranger, but I need to find all the electrical stuff first.

Insurance wise, I'm only titled as a second drive, so my dad is the primary. My insurance comes to around $78 a month.

KXRida
02-10-2008, 08:27 AM
Originally posted by 400exrider707
My favorite year rangers are the 95-97's. 93-94 had the same body style, but the interiors were of old design and ugly. The 93-97 years have the ttb front suspension, which does go through balljoints and tires faster, but IMO, nothing compares in strength. Rock solid foundation, especially for a young kid who is bound to take it offroading. I would definitely go V6 if you're worried about power, but I dont know if you're going to get 20+mpg. I've had two rangers now myself. I had a 95 regular cab, short bed, 4 cyl, 5speed, 2x4. It was a fun truck, I could haul my quad around, it got 23mpg at the worst, but it was slooooow. Wouldn't get out of its own way, but that may be good for you I dont know, I know it was a good thing for me when I started driving. I then bought a 97 extended cab short bed 4.0V6 auto 4x4. This truck was so much better in many ways, though I would have rather had a 5 speed. Much more power, but only got about 17mpg highway and a little less if I did a lot of town driving. Again like anything, if you drive slow it will be better than that. I had as low as 14mpg towing with it though, and it wasn't anything large. Insurance rates will certainly be cheaper than driving a 2 door car or anything like that. Check out www.therangerstation.com or www.rangerpowersports.com lots of good info on those sites and you can ask some questions there. I also like www.dezertrangers.com they have some very cool builds there, and you will see the 93-97 setups are quite popular with the desert crowd.

Have of the guys at RPS are major dicks, so I'd go to TRS if you need info.

Keep in mind if you do want to get into the aftermarket, the 93-97 is the hot truck, but most parts will swap from 83-97 depending what it is, but the aftermarket is much better for the Gen III's than my ranger.

Warlord
02-11-2008, 11:19 AM
The newer duratec 2.3 4 bangers are alot different than the older lima 2.3/2.5 engines. In mid 2001 ford switched to the duratec which has alot more power and gets slightly better mpg. I have a 2003 5spd duratec and I can easily get 30+ on the highway. It can haul two quads on a trailer with ease.