PDA

View Full Version : loose sprocket

lethalmethods
02-08-2008, 12:56 PM
Hi,

I just bought a 2001 400ex a month ago. Two weeks ago the chain came off and wedged up between the sprocket and chain guard (not the case saver). I bought new sprockets and a chain. The front Sprocket now has a little play on the output shaft if wiggling back and forth (it doesn't rotate over the splines).

I doubt this is normal, but I have read and was told on another forum that it happens to them. I am just looking for some more input and I would appreciate any from everyone.

lorenjr83
02-08-2008, 01:41 PM
the front sprocket on my 2000 400 has wobbled a little bit since i have had it.

NacsMXer
02-08-2008, 01:47 PM
Welcome to the site :)

That side to side wiggle on the shaft that you mentioned is completely normal. What you don't want is the sprocket rotating fore and aft on the splines....this would indicate wear. Sounds like you should be ok.

lethalmethods
02-08-2008, 02:44 PM
Hey thanks a lot guys. I appreciate the quick responses.

lethalmethods
02-08-2008, 07:43 PM
Well now the chain is loosening and tightening. I tightened the pinch bolts on the axle bearing carrier and I can not move the tensioner but when I am riding and turning (at slow speeds) it is tightening. It's not getting any looser than what I am adjust the chain to. Am I missing something?

Brauap
02-08-2008, 08:14 PM
There are 4 bolts on the back of the swing arm. Lossen them up (but dont take them out!) and then adjust your chain by getting something (I find that an allen wrench works best) stick it in one of the 3 "holes" and push down to makeit tighter and up to make it looser. Once satisfied, make sure to tighten up the 4 bolts up again real good, and there you go! I am not sure if this is what you asked, but there you go! lol! Hope this helps, if not.. sorry!

lethalmethods
02-08-2008, 08:25 PM
Hey thanks, but I know how to adjust the tension on the chain, but now it seems like when the tensioner is not holdings it position when I tighten the 4 bolts. Just didn't know if this happened to anyone else. Maybe it's time to get a new swing arm and axle and of course go +2 on them. lol :D

NacsMXer
02-09-2008, 08:40 AM
A bad bearing carrier in the swinger can cause erratic chain tension while riding....not saying that it is, but it is a possibility with the symptoms you describe.