PDA

View Full Version : Transmission Problems!!!!!!!!

pods_BMOC
02-08-2008, 12:10 PM
Hey, i am in the process of re-builing my buddies 2003 blaster. The top end was re-built 1 year ago with new yamaha stock piston. I have the engine down to the cases with the clutch off and all the balanceing gears and drive gears off, so basically everything down so i can split the cases. I did this because the engine would shift 1st throught nuetral then 2nd, after anything higher than 2nd, the transmission would lock up, so i desided to take the shifter off and pull it though the cases and with this take the little spring and shifting lever-type thing off (the lever clicks into the shifting star to switch is into gear) well my friend and i played with the star manually, the engine shifted all the way through the gears fluently, so i put the shifting lever back on, fed the shifter through the cases and tried it again, same as last time. I have no idea what is going on, are the shirfting-forks bent? Star Bent? What is going on? PLEASE HELP:(

86 Quad R
02-08-2008, 12:44 PM
have ya carefully inspected everything regarding the shifting linkage. to my thinking if the tranny will shift by rotating the star/drumby hand, it should shift using the lever. ofcourse i could be wrong on this.

did ya ask this similar question in a previous thread?

pods_BMOC
02-08-2008, 09:03 PM
yes is did but i did not know what i was talking about then, and now i have the engine in peices and looking everything and things seem different that expected, i have no idea what going on in this stupid thing, mabie ill have a pro look at it for me, or is there something i should look for?

yfzrider310
02-09-2008, 08:53 PM
Give the bottom end to me and then Ill drive down to yamaha on tuesday (or sometime this week) and have them take a look at it. They should know what to do from there.

pods_BMOC
02-09-2008, 11:06 PM
ok, and church! that sux, come over after if you can.

pods_BMOC
02-15-2008, 04:19 PM
BUMP

CSR400EX
02-16-2008, 01:02 AM
could be a bent shift fork. but it shifts through the gears without the shift shaft in??

pods_BMOC
02-16-2008, 08:04 PM
yes it does, i think that i am just gonna split the cases and see where that takes me

CSR400EX
02-16-2008, 08:52 PM
does the star show signs of wear??? just trying to eliminate possibilities

pods_BMOC
02-17-2008, 08:21 PM
little signs of normal wear and tear. Actually today i split the cases and took the transmission out w- shift forks and shift drum, i noticed that the 1st shift fork was getting hung up on the first down-pull to change into 3rd gear, its just getting stuck for what appears to be no reason at all. I just dont understant what the deal is here, i have to dig my fingers into the tranny just to free the fork linkage. Please any ideas to what needs to be done?