PDA

View Full Version : Clicking noise coming from engine

jesseweaver
02-07-2008, 01:56 PM
whenever my 416 is running, there is a clicking noise coming from somewhere in the engine. i didnt do anything to the engine or really any part of the whole quad in a long time. i dont think i heard it before, im pretty sure it just started now. i cant really tell where its coming from, but its somewhere near the piston or exhaust ports. is this normal or is something wrong?

02-07-2008, 02:09 PM
check your valves maybe they need adjusting. If that doesnt work I guess start looking elsewhere. Post a video of your quad running so everyone can listen to the noise and chime in on whats wrong.

STUNTIN400EX
02-07-2008, 02:30 PM
could be your valves. and your cam chain might need adjusting.

Dustin075
02-07-2008, 02:31 PM
i would have to think it is the valves too. do you have a different cam in it?

jesseweaver
02-07-2008, 02:54 PM
i have a hotcams stage 2. are the valves hard to adjust? can you do it yourself? what about the cam chain?

02-07-2008, 03:45 PM
Originally posted by jesseweaver
i have a hotcams stage 2. are the valves hard to adjust? can you do it yourself? what about the cam chain?

adjusting valves it pretty simple and its something you should be doing after so many hours. When I havent checked my valves in 6 months and the previous owner who knows when he last did it I sure felt a gain. and you have an aftermarket cam you deffinately need to check your valves because you need to change the intake and exhaust to compensate for more air and flow. I'll bet on its yours valves

Dustin075
02-07-2008, 03:58 PM
also when adjusting the valves make sure you have the right clearance. the stage 2 use a different clearance then stock does.

Ruby Soho
02-07-2008, 04:54 PM
bet you its a headgasket.

does it click when you rev it

REPOMAN
02-07-2008, 05:25 PM
VALVE CLEARENCES ARE .005" INTAKE AND .006" EXHAUST. JUST GOT THAT FROM THE HOTCAMS WEBSITE

jesseweaver
02-07-2008, 05:48 PM
Originally posted by Ruby Soho
bet you its a headgasket.

does it click when you rev it

it does but i cant hear it as loud as when its idleing. we blew a headgasket on my neighbors 3wheeler and thats about what it sounded like now that i think about it. i probably should adjust the valves though too, ive had it for about half a year and never did and i dont know when the guy who sold it to me did.

jesseweaver
02-07-2008, 06:00 PM
i read in another thread that it could be the advance timing key too. that guy messed up his engine cause of that.

jesseweaver
02-07-2008, 07:20 PM
heres a vid of it idleing. this should help a little

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8XQ5QkHr80c

btw, how do you post videos so theyre in the thread and you dont have to go to the youtube website to watch them?

REPOMAN
02-07-2008, 07:26 PM
sounds like valves to me. mine are loud also.

440challenger
02-07-2008, 07:28 PM
soudns like a valve. maybe the lock nut backed off.

02-07-2008, 07:31 PM
its the valves I know it. Check your valves and re-do the clearance to compensate for the hotcam. All you need is a socket to fit the valve covers and a feeler gauge to check your valves

BigBore24
02-07-2008, 07:52 PM
I have the same problem with mine and ive adjusted the valves bout 5 times in the last 6 months and it still does it. I read a discussion on here once about hotcams being noisy and there is nothing you can do bout it. I got the stiffer valve springs and still no difference. I did notice mine has a slight bit of play side to side where the rod goes on the crank, so for me its either that or just the nature of the hotcam. if you have a stock cam you may try putting it in just to see. but definately adjust valves first

jesseweaver
02-07-2008, 07:55 PM
ok thanks. but seriously how hard is it to adjust the valves, cause i have a clymer repair manuel and i looked in there and it looks pretty hard. ive never been in the engine at all either. you make it sound easy though...

about how much would it be to get someone else to do it?

02-07-2008, 08:01 PM
who knows how much it would cost but its good to know how to do it. Read this article.

http://www.atvriders.com/articles/valveadjustment400ex.html

trx400EXtreme
02-07-2008, 08:58 PM
Originally posted by REPOMAN
VALVE CLEARENCES ARE .005" INTAKE AND .006" EXHAUST. JUST GOT THAT FROM THE HOTCAMS WEBSITE i read under the articles on here that they are intake-.004 exhaust-.005.:ermm:

JOEX
02-07-2008, 09:01 PM
Originally posted by trx400EXtreme
i read under the articles on here that they are intake-.004 exhaust-.005.:ermm:
That's for the stock cam. HotCam has a slightly looser spec.

trx400EXtreme
02-07-2008, 09:10 PM
Originally posted by JOEX
That's for the stock cam. HotCam has a slightly looser spec. ok, my bad.

REDRIDDER
02-08-2008, 01:41 PM
i broke my cam chain tensioner once and the extra slack in the chain made a ticking noise especially when i rev it up a bit. just my experience though.

BossHogg420
02-09-2008, 12:33 PM
I too have a slight clicking noise coming from my quad. The engine is stock and not even a year old. has about 40 hrs on it. I wanna say it make the sounds ever since i bought it. Isn't there always gonna be somewhat of a clicking sound or do u think my valves are loose also.

Ruby Soho
02-09-2008, 12:46 PM
when i blew gaskets it owuld sound like a sharp click when you blip the throttle and at no other time would you hear a difference.

to make sure, when its running put your hand around where the head meets the jug and feel for air coming out and look for little oil leaks from the same spot

Drummit77
02-09-2008, 01:42 PM
Hey killer!

Valve lash spec on a Hot Cam is .005 and .006. Be sure that you're checking at TDC with the COMPRESSION stroke. (Valve lobes pointing down)

I Need to know how old that cam is. I just tore my 440 apart and it was making a racket quite similar to yours. Turns out it had an old style Hot Cam in it and the timing chain sprocket was wobbling all over the place and causing the chain to rub the galley walls in the cylinder! Not cool at all! I thought it was the valves and adjusted and adjusted to no avail.

It's easy to check out really. If you tear the valve cover off and get a good look at the cam sprocket you'll notice that the cam is made with either a keyed or splined end to receive the sprocket. If you see splines you need to pull that cam and check for ANY lateral slop in the sprocket. If it's keyed then you're most likely home free. Not sure when Hot Cam changed to the keyed design so I can't help you there. Make sure to use a new valve cover gasket when you reassemble!!

Also might want to check your timing chain for stretch...mine was over 1/4 longer than what it was supposed to be. I STRONGLY suggest getting the HD model vs. the stock one. I think C&D sells it for $35? You'll need a clutch cover gasket, tensioner gasket, and oil pump gasket if you do the chain. (In addition to valve cover, valve adjusting cap o-rings)

Hope it helps! Good luck!!

Also check your chain tensioner.