PDA

View Full Version : false nuetral

450rcrazy022692
02-07-2008, 10:17 AM
On alot of shift i hit false nuetrals and sometimes when i want to get it into nuetral it wont go it for 1st to 2nd and vise versa....what is causeing this and how can i fix it?

smithn1683
02-07-2008, 11:31 AM
Getting to N is a tricky one sometimes. Put it down all the way into first, with the clutch in hit the the throttle as the RPMs start coming down click it up into N. Its a lot easier to get into N with the method. Also try and rock the quad sometimes you need to be moving for it to click in. Useually now when I am coming to a stop I pull the clutch and put it into N while I am still moving then hit the break if needed.

Also check the tension on your clutch cable.

If you are riding and hitting false N try useing the clutch (if you dont already) and letting off the gas while you shift.

400exrider707
02-07-2008, 01:32 PM
Originally posted by smithn1683
Getting to N is a tricky one sometimes. Put it down all the way into first, with the clutch in hit the the throttle as the RPMs start coming down click it up into N. Its a lot easier to get into N with the method. Also try and rock the quad sometimes you need to be moving for it to click in. Useually now when I am coming to a stop I pull the clutch and put it into N while I am still moving then hit the break if needed.

Also check the tension on your clutch cable.

If you are riding and hitting false N try useing the clutch (if you dont already) and letting off the gas while you shift.

Get used to false neutrals... I cant get rid of them for anything, though switching to a two stroke gear oil on the tranny side did seem to help. I've actually came up short and face planted a double because of a false neutral before.

BlaineKaiser450
02-07-2008, 04:32 PM
i used hit false neutural all the time.Now I just dont go in 1st, start in 2nd and ride in 2nd and up. Id just get used to it if i were you.

Ogener
02-07-2008, 06:44 PM
I used to have that problem, just learn your machine real well and as added assurance really put alot of force on with your foot when shifting to help jam it in there.

blacknblue#2
02-08-2008, 01:20 AM
Yeah i agree with the above post, get used to how to go from 1 to 2 and keep that same routine. Ive only hit neutral one time and it was the last place i ever wanted to hit it, on a holeshot where every second counts. Ever since i just slam it hard, its actually prolly a wonder i havent bent a shifter haha. Pull that that shifter way up when going to 2nd it wont go any farther than 2nd unless you let it down and pull it up again

400exrider707
02-08-2008, 06:14 AM
BlaineKaiser450 & blacknblue#2 - No he's not actually hitting neutral. It's a "false neutral" I've hit it between 2nd and 3rd, between 3rd and 4th, and now once between 4th and 5th. Its not actually neutral. You upshift, nail the throttle (or like some of us, never let off) and the motor revs up like its in neutral, you let off for a split second and hit the gas again and its in gear. No grinding noises, nothing slipping, just sounds like its in neutral. Like I said switching to the gear oil seemed to help whether it did or not, but it seemed to happen less. I've also tweaked my shift lever up and down and I've also found that different riding boots I wear effect this too, so a full solid shift seems to help a TON, but it still happens. I had my first 4th to 5th false neutral ever this past weekend running ice ovals.

blacknblue#2 - with the mods in your sig you should have NO problem pulling second gear starts, I would never start in first because of this problem....

NJ450rider
02-08-2008, 09:45 AM
yeah it happens. both my 400ex and 450r will do it once in a while. Usually on my 450r itll do it 3rd to 4th. not really any other gears. And ive never had it happen before a jump thankgod.

Honda_Matt
02-08-2008, 09:53 AM
Yeah both of my R's can be hard to find nuetral.... tight shift pattern!

I dont usually have the problem hitting false nuetrals though, i shift pretty firm, although I cant say it's never happened.

wckedclownz69
02-08-2008, 10:20 AM
riding wheelies i hit false neutral sometimes i just learned to click up harder and then when my clutch plates started going out seemed like i was hitting a false neutral all the time lol wasnt slipping or anything just not catching to where when u would hit the gas to get up and go the rear end just felt like it was spinning but nothing lol.. just shift harder and let off a little thts what i do