PDA

View Full Version : which lights?

garrettagr
02-07-2008, 09:52 AM
hey guys. on my other R, i want to put some lights on it but not really sure what i should get. I want something better than those pencil lights like lazer stars and what not. I have a 200 watt stator so wattage is not an issue. I saw on here a while back a guy had a yellow 250R with three six or eight inch lights on the thing and i remember thinking is was badass. Cold you guys tell me and possibly post some pictures of your light setups. thanks

D Bergstrom
02-07-2008, 01:49 PM
Here is a post from about a year ago that I posted a picture of my dual HID setup in along with some other info. (Funny parts is, I knew I posted a pic of my lights somewhere on here, so when I did a search, it happend to be a post started by you almost a year ago!)

http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=283142

Doug

regg187
02-07-2008, 06:46 PM
This is a Ricky Stator bar mount light bar with 2 PIAA 6in lights ...forgot model # ,but 1 light is a pencil beam and 1 is a driving light, both are 100 watters, I too have a 200 watt R.S. stator. I got mine when you sent him yours and he rewound it for you.

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y144/regg187/DSC00006.jpg

garrettagr
02-07-2008, 08:09 PM
dont those 100 watt bulbs suck too much from the stator and not leave enough for the spark?

D Bergstrom
02-07-2008, 09:22 PM
Originally posted by garrettagr
dont those 100 watt bulbs suck too much from the stator and not leave enough for the spark?

Lights and ignition are on different circuits. One does not affect the other.

Doug

garrettagr
02-07-2008, 10:15 PM
oh. that is good. but why does everyone make such a big deal about not putting too much light on a quad until you update your stator. Or warn against too much wattage which will draw away power to the spark?

regg187
02-08-2008, 12:59 AM
Thats because the stock stator puts out about 85 watts .and the tail light takes like 15 watts leaving roughly 70 for the headlight so if you run a 100 watt main you'll be burning up the stator from it trying to supply whats demanded from it and overtaxin the system.

wishmasstir
02-08-2008, 05:56 AM
I'm guessing your talking about my old 250r with these lights...if your looking for the power of the sun and want to look like a baja racer then grab a set of them...

I still have mine somewhere, they are baja designs kit. I checked their site and they didn't have them offered anymore but you could call them to get a set probably, they were retailed at like $800 new last I checked. They make 2 light sets now and they are way cheaper, now you can get HID kits for what these retailed for back then.

86 Quad R
02-08-2008, 06:46 AM
THESE (http://www.autoanything.com/lights/69A1327A0A0.aspx#productInfoTabs) are interesting

garrettagr
02-08-2008, 05:52 PM
i see now. I do remember that yellow bike with the three lights on it. It looks bad and i bet you do pull the power of the sun. I may just do that and go with three 55 watt lights. Thanks for all the responses.

wilkin250r
02-11-2008, 02:23 AM
Originally posted by garrettagr
oh. that is good. but why does everyone make such a big deal about not putting too much light on a quad until you update your stator. Or warn against too much wattage which will draw away power to the spark?

It's not a spark issue. As mentioned earlier, the lights and the ignition are on different circuits.

I can't give you a full explanation without getting too complicated into Ohm's Law and power equations. But in essense, your stator will ALWAYS produce 12 volts, and your lights are designed to pull a certain amount of power from that 12V.

What happens when the lights try to pull too much power? It's bad, very bad. It's not like an engine, where the engine simply won't keep up. If you connect 200W worth of lights to a 100W stator, it will work just fine, it will light all the lights, right up until the stator melts.

The power rating isn't how much power it can produce, it's about how much HEAT it can handle. Pulling too much power will create too much heat inside the stator. It's the equivalent of plugging up the radiator on a car. The engine won't die the second you do it, it will run for a little while, but will eventually overheat and fail.

A 200W stator is wound differently that creates less internal heat, so you can pull more power without heat problems.