PDA

View Full Version : 07 450r starting issue

cb3684
02-06-2008, 07:58 PM
My 07 450r will just start in neutral. If in gear it lunges forward but wont start. Runs Great otherwise.

CSR400EX
02-07-2008, 12:50 AM
if your talking about with the clutch in, while its in gear, my 05 is a b**** to start if its in gear. its just the nature of the beast

660r2a400ex
02-07-2008, 07:40 AM
all 450rs are a ***** to start period, all have starting problems, i believe theirs a recall on the week starter gears, but hey if thats the biggest problem with these quads, all owners are in luck, unlike every other 450 at least the hondas aint blown up left and right, fuel injection problems and everything else, in my opinion, honda and yammy, best 450s out !

cb3684
02-07-2008, 09:30 AM
Thanks for the quick response. Yeah, the problem is when i have the clutch pulled in. In Neutral it starts great..

turbo j
02-07-2008, 10:16 AM
I think your clutch is out of adjustment or worn out. When you pull the clutch lever in and it still lerchs forward the clutch plates are not being seperated enough. Being a newer bike I would bet its an adjustment thing and not a worn clutch. If your riding style tends to be hard on the clutch the metal plates could be warped due to excessive heat and will not disengage thus in need of replacement.

Not all 450R's have starting problems. There is usually a simple reason.

BrianD
02-07-2008, 11:56 AM
There is a recall on the starter gear and all. If anyone wants to pm me their vin I can run it through the honda network to see if it is included in the recall.
Other than that, adjust that clutch man :D

mak400ex
05-05-2008, 10:56 AM
Originally posted by BrianD
There is a recall on the starter gear and all. If anyone wants to pm me their vin I can run it through the honda network to see if it is included in the recall.
Other than that, adjust that clutch man :D

is their a site online (honda network) to check the vin number, if so can ya share it

thanks

Dave400ex
05-07-2008, 06:25 PM
The only Honda 450's that have starting problems are the E-starts. The kickers start great. Mine always start, cold, warm, or hot.

sparks 450
05-06-2009, 11:44 PM
kicker is the only way to go. you dont have to ever buy a battery or starter. mine starts easy, plus they weight less.

coryatver
05-06-2009, 11:49 PM
Originally posted by Dave400ex
The only Honda 450's that have starting problems are the E-starts. The kickers start great. Mine always start, cold, warm, or hot.

what he is saying is he can not start it in gear. Every 450r even the kick starts you can't start in gear as the clutch with not disengage. Only way to fix it is a recluse clutch.

Also starting these things the Jetting, decompressor adjustment, and valve adjustment need to be spot on. even for the kick starts or they are a pain to start.

sparks 450
05-06-2009, 11:51 PM
2004 trx will kick start in gear. you just have to kick it a little harder

Dave400ex
05-07-2009, 11:31 AM
Originally posted by coryatver
what he is saying is he can not start it in gear. Every 450r even the kick starts you can't start in gear as the clutch with not disengage. Only way to fix it is a recluse clutch.

Also starting these things the Jetting, decompressor adjustment, and valve adjustment need to be spot on. even for the kick starts or they are a pain to start.

My 06 and 07 started in gear just fine. It's just night and day better with the Rekluse. Rekluse = :D

coryatver
05-07-2009, 12:24 PM
Originally posted by sparks 450
2004 trx will kick start in gear. you just have to kick it a little harder

exactly you have to kick it harder. well the battery can't kick it harder lol. I have a ER with a kicker on it. And if I try to kick start it in gear with clutch pulled in you can tell the clutch is dragging and it is hard to start. if you have a recluse though it fixes this problem and makes starting this bike a lot easier.

I have found the fastest way to start is
1. have bike warmed up and in neutral (so clutch sticking is not a problem)

2. hit the throttle 3 times to prime it

3. then don't touch the throttle and start it. Sometimes it will start right away sometimes it will take a few seconds on the button or a few kicks

I have found it doesn't matter if I kick it or use electric start it starts the same either way and is a lot faster just to use the electric as if it doesn't start the first kick it will take longer to keep kicking it than just to hold the starter button. anyone have any better way to start this for dead engine starts?

Rich250RRacer
05-08-2009, 02:06 PM

Not true, the problem is a grooved clutch basket that doesn't let the clutch disengage properly. Another tell-tale sign is if the quad surges forward when revved in gear with the clutch pulled. I pull great dead engine holeshots with my '04, in gear. But I've also replaced the basket in it three times.

stoopidbot
05-08-2009, 06:50 PM
exactly you have to kick it harder. well the battery can't kick it harder lol. I have a ER with a kicker on it. And if I try to kick start it in gear with clutch pulled in you can tell the clutch is dragging and it is hard to start. if you have a recluse though it fixes this problem and makes starting this bike a lot easier.

I have found the fastest way to start is
1. have bike warmed up and in neutral (so clutch sticking is not a problem)

2. hit the throttle 3 times to prime it

3. then don't touch the throttle and start it. Sometimes it will start right away sometimes it will take a few seconds on the button or a few kicks

I have found it doesn't matter if I kick it or use electric start it starts the same either way and is a lot faster just to use the electric as if it doesn't start the first kick it will take longer to keep kicking it than just to hold the starter button. anyone have any better way to start this for dead engine starts? I'm in Colorado, I think that is probably the difference in how many times you need to pump the gas but I do the same thing. I actually put it on video for some one else.

http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/dd103/kristinkoron/th_DSCF3821.jpg (http://s222.photobucket.com/albums/dd103/kristinkoron/?action=view&current=DSCF3821.flv)