PDA

View Full Version : what to do with title after buying used ATV

ridgeback-x-2
02-06-2008, 06:28 PM
I've just purchased a utility atv. arctic cat 400 4x4. i got a title with it. i got a bill of sell. what do i need to do to be legal??? go to tax office and show them everything??? i am new to 4-wheelers. just don't want to get caught by the law and get a ticket or fine. help.

Rowdy

quad97
02-07-2008, 12:10 AM
in Montana the seller has to sign the title over in-front-of a notary and then they stamp it with a seal to show it is leagal.

gemer
04-29-2008, 05:35 PM
In CA, NJ and VA you take the title to the DMV along with the bill of sale. They will ask you to pay registration, tax for the purchase price and take away the current title. 15-20 days later you will get the new title in your name by mail. However you will get the green sticker right away, put the sticker on the left rear of the ATV where it is clearly visible.

gemer
04-29-2008, 05:49 PM
For most states, as long as the value is under $4K nothing more is needed other than what has been told above.

In fact I just registered my ATV just using the title( 2 week ago), no bill of sale was ever used.
I have done this on my Jeep Wrangler too but had the bill of sale for just in case scenarios. :devil:

Teufel
07-16-2008, 06:00 PM
Check with your state dmv, in WV a dealer cannot take an ATV/UTV in on trade without a current title registered to the owner.
If you buy it second hand and the initial tax has been paid- well then you have some wiggle room - of course I do not condone tax avoidance :devil: after all there are alot of welfare reciepants counting on you

Also remember a MSO is not the same thing as a title