PDA

View Full Version : Is it worth the risk?

Ogener
02-06-2008, 03:34 PM
here is an ad from a local for sale page

"04 yamaha yfz 450 quad
doesnt run but turns over may be timing aftermarket parts needs tires and plastics remounted barn find 1800 offer"

I have a warrior now so switching tires wont be a problem. but is it worth the work to find out if the motor is blown, or majorly ****ed up, or should I take the risk and assume its just the timing? and the fact that it is a barn find makes me wonder if its hot (stolen). Do u guys think its worth looking into or should I keep looking around? I havent called him yet but I was wondering what possible motor costs were gonna be before I did to make sure I could afford it.

450racers.com
02-07-2008, 11:08 AM
If it were me, I'd buy it.

jstalnaker
02-07-2008, 02:15 PM
in my opinion you might as well asume the motor is blowed up.
and rebuilding the motor is not cheap
with this being a o4 you can count on replacing the crank.

crank
pistion
replating cylinder
timing chane
gaskets
seals
crank bearings
oil mod
LABOR
mininum 1500 (i know there will be alot of commit about that price)
this is just some of the major stuff im sure there will be other little stuff to add to it.
and hope the head and cams are still good.

as far as woundering if it might be stolen make him give you a bill of sale if you decide to buy it

#17YFZRACER
02-07-2008, 05:16 PM
id be a little worried, its your call though:confused:

Ogener
02-07-2008, 06:57 PM
I most likely wont end up getting it becuase I have to get my current quad sold and then like jstalnaker said I would problably have to have the motor rebuilt, and even if I didn't have to I probably would just as some extra insurance. The guy said he had the title but how he got it worries me, plus he said he had a ton of callers about it so it will most likely be sold before I get to it. Thanks for the responses.

SRH
02-07-2008, 08:05 PM
Originally posted by jstalnaker
in my opinion you might as well asume the motor is blowed up.
and rebuilding the motor is not cheap
with this being a o4 you can count on replacing the crank.

crank
pistion
replating cylinder
timing chane
gaskets
seals
crank bearings
oil mod
LABOR
mininum 1500 (i know there will be alot of commit about that price)
this is just some of the major stuff im sure there will be other little stuff to add to it.
and hope the head and cams are still good.

as far as woundering if it might be stolen make him give you a bill of sale if you decide to buy it

i think thats a little off

parts about 700, you pull the motor out yourself and take it to them shouldnt be much over 300 in labor i know i can dissassemble and reassemble in about 2 hrs, most shops here charge 65 for labor, id off them 1000-1500 for it, youd have a good buy

jstalnaker
02-07-2008, 08:56 PM
i know thats a little high but its better to estamate high and not spend it all than to estamate low and need more. and if the head is junk then its realy going to get expensive.

Ogener
02-07-2008, 09:27 PM
yea I also like to estimate high to make sure i have enough. It will be a bit before I buy but I really do apreciate your adivce guys thanks!