PDA

View Full Version : Going to the dunes

mdh23jr
02-06-2008, 11:23 AM
Im going to the dunes here soon is there anything i need to do to my 250r before i go? I know i have to put my outerwear on my air filter but is there anything else i should do?

wilkin250r
02-06-2008, 01:08 PM
Some people change gearing for the dunes, some don't. Personal choice.

One piece of solid advice, when you get BACK from the dunes, clean your quad real good, and pay special attention to your chain.

The sand sticks to your chain lube, and can wear things down. No use cleaning it while you're at the dunes, it will just get dirty again. But you'll want to get it off as soon as you get back, and re-lube your chain.

danhung11
02-06-2008, 03:13 PM
Also, make sure there are no fluid leaks like the o-ring from the gas tank... it will leak and sand will adhere to everything.

Also....bring a couple of counter sprockets, perhaps 1 up and 1 down.

If this is your first time going down to Little Sahara...

be careful...those drop offs at night are ridiculous and have seen guys waad up their quads trying to slow down due to visibility when the sand is blowing around.

BTW - buy your flag down there...might be a few $ more but worth the 1-peice design with spring.

Have fun and wear a helmet dude! ;)

kiesta00
02-06-2008, 04:19 PM
Just remember to bring extra supplies: plugs, tranny oil, rad fluid, and tools tools tools!

mdh23jr
02-06-2008, 05:03 PM
ya this is my first time going, its gonna be like me and 20 of my friends. what gearing is usually good for down there. i only have rear sand tires that should be fine right...

Dave83
02-09-2008, 11:18 AM
Dan is right about those drop offs.There is a nasty one when you enter thru the "checkpoint and turn right once you get by the drag area.Its a good ways down to it and its tempting to pin it and take off,just get familiar with things first.I have a MX built R w/ESR 310 in it and ran the 13/38 sprockets with 20" hauler 10 paddles.Did alright except in 6th gear.I just ran some 21" knobbies on the front,no problem.Next time Im going to use 8 paddle rears and take a next size bigger rear sprocket just to be safe.