PDA

View Full Version : Rath Racing Water Cooled Bumpers

Rath303
02-06-2008, 11:17 AM
Here is a picture of our water cooled bumper. I have heard some rumors on the quad over heated. I would like to change the bumper a bit so it is raised a bit... however, the airflow over the top of the bumper would be different.

Rath303
02-06-2008, 11:20 AM
This is a picture taken of Will Harness's water cooled 50. He just installed our nerfs and the new bumper. The bumper was designed off a stock 08' Drr water cooled quad. I am just looking for some opinions and feedback. Alot of the calls I have gotten have been about parents worried about the quad over heating because of the bumper blocking air flow...

tireman43
02-06-2008, 01:21 PM
You didn't really mention if there IS a problem with overheating. Are the concerns with your product causing the mentioned overheating problems or are they general overheating questions?

I think the bumper looks great. Is it available in black only?

Kevin

THARNESS
02-06-2008, 02:36 PM
That is my son's quad in the photo. We have not had any overheating problems yet. We raced it at an indoor race last month and have had a couple practice sessions with no problems. I think the bumper is great. Ours is glossy black, it also comes in flat black or bare aluminum. We have used and abused Rath stuff for years and I belive that thier products and thier people are top notch.

tireman43
02-06-2008, 03:20 PM
Thanks Tom. That is what I was looking for.

They do seem to be very good people at Rath. It is nice living close to them, we have ran into Daryl with his family at a few races and he is very down to earth.

Kevin

TTracer#22
02-07-2008, 07:46 AM
I couldn't agree with you more Tom they are great people and the products they make and sell are top notch!!

raidernut
02-07-2008, 06:32 PM
We put one on Buddys quad, and ran it at the last WORCS race. 45 minute long desert moto. We run a water temp guage on bike, and bike ran about 15 degrees hotter with the rath bumper. Not to the point of overheating, but did warm it up noticably. I think the problem lies in the solid insert in the middle of the bumper, and not the position. Maybe if the middle piece allowed for more airflow??

Logan #34's Dad
02-07-2008, 09:24 PM
CAN'T PUT ANY HOLES IN THE INSERT IN THE MIDDLE! It may look like an AC bumper. LOL :devil:

quadscrib
02-08-2008, 09:51 PM
Originally posted by raidernut
We put one on Buddys quad, and ran it at the last WORCS race. 45 minute long desert moto. We run a water temp guage on bike, and bike ran about 15 degrees hotter with the rath bumper. Not to the point of overheating, but did warm it up noticably. I think the problem lies in the solid insert in the middle of the bumper, and not the position. Maybe if the middle piece allowed for more airflow??

Very good info! Ive always read and heard the Rath products were kick ***** and Ive actually looked for reviews on THIS very subject cause I want to put one on Olivers new Drx50 l/c...coincidentally same color as the one in the pic.
Daryl I think it probly requires a specific adjustment for the Liquid DRX's.... a worth while move Im sure.
Great lookin peice

Rath303
02-09-2008, 10:58 AM
Originally posted by tireman43
You didn't really mention if there IS a problem with overheating. Are the concerns with your product causing the mentioned overheating problems or are they general overheating questions?

I think the bumper looks great. Is it available in black only?

Kevin

I have gotten feedback from Ryan's dad and they had no problems over-heating. However, the calls I get from the riders parents have all been concerning the watercooled quads overheating. I didnt know if that was a big issue?? I just want to make sure that the new bumpers will work and not cause any issues. Another thing we are thinking about doing is this, making the plate 1/3 of what it normally is

raidernut
02-09-2008, 01:22 PM
I think that would be the ticket, smaller plate. I would not worry if you are racing mx only. But gncc, or WORCS i would feel better with more air flowing to the radiator.

quadscrib
02-09-2008, 06:30 PM
Originally posted by Rath303
I have gotten feedback from Ryan's dad and they had no problems over-heating. However, the calls I get from the riders parents have all been concerning the watercooled quads overheating. I didnt know if that was a big issue?? I just want to make sure that the new bumpers will work and not cause any issues. Another thing we are thinking about doing is this, making the plate 1/3 of what it normally is

I think that would end the discussion....

dodgepower
02-10-2008, 06:30 AM
A question i have though is what antifreeze are they running that they are overheating......I would be concerned with the smaller plate not as much protection for the radiator.......Maybe run Engine Ice and a regular bumper so can keep stuff out of the radiator which will cause it too over heat though too.........

Great to see a company listening to the consumer though....Awesome!

quad1rider
02-10-2008, 08:23 AM
Just a thought Rath ... what about adding directional fins to the top or sides for air diversion or a fan behind the bumper... I made a conical turbine fan it goes fast as the speed increased. Just some thoughts ...

We all know you want a perfect product, as usual but knowone said it overheated yet it just ran hotter... so you need to get more air to it... GOOD LUCK

Rath303
02-20-2008, 08:19 AM
Originally posted by dodgepower
A question i have though is what antifreeze are they running that they are overheating......I would be concerned with the smaller plate not as much protection for the radiator.......Maybe run Engine Ice and a regular bumper so can keep stuff out of the radiator which will cause it too over heat though too.........

Great to see a company listening to the consumer though....Awesome!

That is a good point to with the protection of that area. I appreciate everyone's feedback. I may see if for this bumper if I could center the smaller plate. That would add proctection but allow more airflow above and below the plate in the center of the bumper maybe?

etondaddy
02-20-2008, 08:54 AM
Sorry to get off the subject but................... you guys make great stuff period. My son will be running your bumper and the comp. nurfs on his TRX 90 this year. The quad looked great at the show.

Mike Kozura

http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g278/etondaddy/l_04b38c987e31cd8cc7a96d7267dda1eb.jpg

http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g278/etondaddy/l_5c39f86f9ff54a5417a35757b5ef6c46.jpg

http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g278/etondaddy/l_6ca260d166afea73104ee93ca0460dcf.jpg

http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g278/etondaddy/l_79412b07dba10b6a44e4c5f6b10de6ec.jpg
http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g278/etondaddy/l_4d6d5b6825a012051e0f9ce2bf659c53.jpg

http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g278/etondaddy/l_5002fa12776b9422596c78dd7dd9bb4c.jpg

#17TBoneRacing
02-20-2008, 01:25 PM
The Rath bumper looks great and I would buy one, but I am concerned about the overheating as well. Ran my sons W/C DRX50 for the first time with the number plate on front cut to fill the stock square area on the stock bumper. I drilled holes all over the plate thinking it would help and the warning light came on within 15-20 min. I took it off and he ran our practice track for an hour plus with no issue. The directional fins may be the ticket for those who want to run a plate there. To me that is the benefit to the Rath bumper being able to run a plate.

dodgepower
02-20-2008, 05:44 PM
Couldnt ya just run the plate to the side like i do?