PDA

View Full Version : Common 400ex Promlems?

RUFIO
11-16-2002, 08:57 PM
Is there anything special on a 400ex that i need to watch out for..like something is a common problem to alot of 400exs becuase i just got mine and i want to make sure everything is nice and tight and ready to go thanks

11-16-2002, 08:59 PM
GREASE EVERYTHING!

especially the swingarm bolt. I grease mine once a month or more when i get bored. As long as u do it often it takes 1 minute to do. and if u dont and it rusts up inside u r screwed. also lube the rear brake pedal cuz sometimes it sticks. and last the a arm bushings cuz i had one go out in only 5 months of riding since new.

i have also heard of swingarms cracking but that is if u ride real hard

RUFIO
11-17-2002, 01:43 PM
Thanks, ill do that...any thing else?

Bean
11-17-2002, 07:32 PM
subframes can bend rather easily, rear shock mount isnt the strongest, tube next to footpegs under motor cracks alot, front shock mounts crack alot, thats about it for the chassi

RUFIO
11-18-2002, 08:59 PM
lol wow what did i get myself into here? :huh

RUFIO
11-18-2002, 09:01 PM
and is there any trick to getting the fuc*king spark plug out and ini couldnt get it out its in sucha werid place:confused: :confused:

AtvMxRider
11-18-2002, 09:10 PM
I had to cut the plug wrench that came with it to get it to fit.

jello
11-18-2002, 10:55 PM
Originally posted by TRX286

a whole lot of fun?:D

ChEX
11-19-2002, 09:53 AM
Originally posted by TRX286

I have a really slim and long socket made for the 400. It has a hole in the top for a screw driver to twist it off. I don't know where it came from or what brand it is, but I can change plugs in under a minute. It was just hanging out in the tool pouch when I bought my quad used. I will check for the name in the side of the socket when I see my quad next.

ChEX
11-19-2002, 09:54 AM
oops, hit the wrong quote button.

SLB400EX
11-19-2002, 06:27 PM
Do you have the stock plug wrench that comes with the 400EXs??
If not...heck, even if you do...I'd recommend the Motion Pro socket for that hard to reach spark plug. Great little tool, we have one and love it.

Mitch400EX
11-20-2002, 01:09 AM
The bike has to be ridden really hard for the frame to crack. I've had mine for almost 3 years and the frame just started to form a small crack near the footpeg, cost like 20 dollars to get it fixed at the local machine shop. My bike sees lots of air (10-15ft), usually with no or bad landing ramps (very hard landings). The frame has actually held up quite well for what i've thrown at it. My subframe is tweaked a little bit, but nothing noticable. The stock aluminum swingarms hold up okay, but I broke mine about a year ago. They break without warning too, I didn't see any hairline cracks before it broke. They're only like 75 bucks on ebay to replace though. The plug wrench that comes in the stock tool kit works good, just stick the chain adjustment wrench through one of the holes to turn it. Watch the air filter and air boot, the air boot doesn't stay on the carb that well, bad news if it falls off and goes unnoticed. I put grip glue on my airboot where it meets the carb and it hasn't been a problem since. The stock airfilter can pop out sometimes too.

RUFIO
11-20-2002, 08:38 PM
thanks alot :)

400exbat
11-24-2002, 12:54 AM
Hey Quad MX18 , How do you grease the swingarm bolt? Is it easy to get to? thanks.

11-24-2002, 07:21 PM
yeah its real easy to do as long as u do it often. Look at where the swingarm is and the bolt goes through the engine and front of the swingarm. It is a real big bolt from one side through the other. Just hold one end and unscrew the other. then push it out with a screw driver lube it put it back in then torque it to abt 80ft pounds.