PDA

View Full Version : What Steering Stem to get?

450Honda23
02-06-2008, 07:28 AM
I am goig to get a houser steering stem but not sure which i should get. I race harescrambles, and do woods riding. Should I get the +0 or +1 stem. Not sure how much of a difference it makes between the two other then an inch but thought I might ask. Thanks

duke416ex
02-06-2008, 07:40 AM
I just sold my +1 and got a +2 for more comfort when standing up and riding. I use a low bend bar though. Just be sure you order the reduced bump steer stem, they are the same price, but are suppposed to be a lot better. I will be trying out my new stem this weekend(SMC reduced bump steer)

ohsobad_chevy
02-06-2008, 08:02 AM
I am 6 foot tall and I have a +1 stem with low bend trailtech bars......they are just a tad bit low, yet......not enough to justify a +2 stem, but maybe some medium bend bars would make it perfect.

How tall are you and what bend bars are you going to run?

400exrider707
02-06-2008, 09:14 AM
After trying so many different setups on my quad, the best I've found to fit my 6'0" frame is a +2 stem with Renthal CR-hi's. This is the most comfortable for me and is the best of both worlds, its high enough to make me feel comfortable standing, yet low enough to not hinder me moving my body around for corners and laying low. Before this I had tried very tall Renthals (250R bend) with stock stem, that was great for standing up, but awkward for steering, then I tried low bend KSA fat bars on stock stem, AWESOME for turning, but standing up was impossible. I found one that is nice for both. I want to try a set of atv bend flexx bars and a +2+1 stem (2 up and 1 forward)

NJ450rider
02-06-2008, 09:28 AM
I have +2 houser stems on my 400ex and 450r. The 400ex has protaper mid atv bends on em and there great. My 450r has tag trx450r bend specific bars but i just got them and dunno what there like yet. Both bars are 1 1/8. Im 6ft 1 and its perfect when you stand up. Sitting is fine as well. If your 6ft or taller you might not like a +1. a +2 might be better with the right bars.

national425ex
02-06-2008, 10:10 AM
I use a +2 with Creech bend flexx bars. Perfect fit for me and I wouldnt have it any other way.

kbass24emtp
02-06-2008, 02:55 PM
Make sure you get the reduced bump steer stem. It makes a huge difference.

02-06-2008, 03:05 PM
I'm 6'1" and growing still and it gives me a back ache and its feels like i'm standing over the front of my 400ex when standing up with the stock bars and stem. I was considering a +1 stem because I think huge stems look pretty goofy at times. I also heard the stock bars are some of the highest bars? can that be right?

Choreboy
02-18-2008, 06:07 AM
Originally posted by national425ex
I use a +2 with Creech bend flexx bars. Perfect fit for me and I wouldnt have it any other way.
Hey bro if you don't mind me asking what is the specs on the Creech Flexx bars? I am running a +2 stem and just purchased a set of Flexx Quad Racer Bars and am worried they will be too high for cornering and getting low on the bike. I am 6'6" though. I'm just trying to figure out if I should exchange mine for lower rising ones. Thanks ahead for your reply bro.