PDA

View Full Version : what the he** does rejetting the carb mean and do?

monster300
11-16-2002, 08:16 PM
What exactly is the definition of rejetting a carburetor, what does it do, how do you do it, and is it hard? danke

MADRAT
11-16-2002, 08:34 PM
LOOK OUT FOR BEN

sprtrx300ex
11-16-2002, 10:20 PM
I believe the purpose of rejeting is to allow a larger amount of fuel to be injected. This is needed when adding a pipe or filter. I personally haven't done it myself because it seems complicated.

MATT

AtvMxRider
11-16-2002, 10:26 PM
Originally posted by MADRAT
LOOK OUT FOR BEN

:huh :huh :huh

YardDog24
11-16-2002, 10:29 PM
Thats exactly what its for, it allows more fuel flow. To compensate you do need to get more air flow or the mixture will be too rich. Adding a K&N or a pipe are ways to get more flow....

And its very easy to do (on the 400 anyway, Ill have to look at the 300 but it must be the same). I just picked up my 03 400, they put a pipe and jetted the carb for me but Im changing that jet tomorrow. Its as simple as pulling the bottom of the carb bowl off, removing the jet, install a new one and put the bowl back on. Takes all of 5 min.

lilpoppy
11-16-2002, 11:25 PM
It sound complicated but it really isnt. Look in the frequently asked questions section and look for how to install a k&n power kit and it will explain exactily how to do it. I was nervous about doing it too because i thought i would mess up my carb or something but it is really simple. Just follow all the steps. All you really need is a screw driver and maby a socket set.

lilpoppy
11-16-2002, 11:28 PM
by the way you don't need to buy one of those k&n power kits to rejet. Just go to your local honda dealer and ask for the size of jet that you need. They are only 7 bucks where i live.

YardDog24
11-16-2002, 11:30 PM
Originally posted by lilpoppy
by the way you don't need to buy one of those k&n power kits to rejet. Just go to your local honda dealer and ask for the size of jet that you need. They are only 7 bucks where i live.

Good call...I shoulda mentioned that!

monster300
11-17-2002, 12:33 PM
if i had a 400ex carb on my 300, would i still have to rejet it for the pipe and filter?

lilpoppy
11-17-2002, 12:51 PM
I'm sure that you still would have to rejet even if you switch to a 400ex carb unless you just got lucky and it just happened to be the right size. Don't think of it as your carb can't get it enough gas it is really just fine tuning your carb to get the exact ammount of gas that your quad needs to run best. If you do upgrade to a 400ex carb you will run faster from what I have heard though.

joeroadking
11-17-2002, 07:28 PM
proper jetting is essential to performance, adding more airflow requires adding more gas, adding a pipe or opening air box lid, kn filter all make more air pass thru motor without more gas you would be running lean you do not need to buy one of those expensive kits for basic jetting, just go to your local dealer and ask for larger main jets maybe 1 and 2 sizes larger than stock for a baseline, to start with under $15.00 max, I am sure there must be many threads illustrating proper installation use the search feature.