PDA

View Full Version : Baldwin Rebuild

mdickerson319
02-05-2008, 05:35 PM
Has anyone had a stock rear shock rebuilt by Mark Baldwin? The price quote I got was around $350. Should I go with him or look somewhere else? I ride some mx and was also wonderinig if the stock rear can handle the abuse or should I look aftermarket?

800screws
02-05-2008, 05:42 PM
is that just to rebuild it? check out the site sponser C&D racing...they just did all three of my ltr450 shocks...they made the rear dual rate zps using tcs parts...

garrettagr
02-05-2008, 07:01 PM
yeah 350 is a little high. You can get an aftermarket shock for a little more than that and a rebuild should be much cheaper. like he said, check out C&D

fastest440ex
02-05-2008, 08:24 PM
C&D resprung and rebuilt both of my front elkas for cheaper than that and they work better than when i got them new from elka!:D

fastest440ex
02-05-2008, 08:24 PM
C&D resprung and rebuilt both of my front elkas for cheaper than that and they work better than when i got them new from elka!:D

Rich250RRacer
02-05-2008, 10:35 PM
I ran a Baldwin revalved resprung rear for years, it worked great, well worth the money.

dustinshuler
02-06-2008, 07:28 AM
the baldwin is by far the way to go, it is not only a revalve, it is also a respring and he anodizes the shock body and rez for better shock cooling. ive had many of them over the years and they work great.

honda380
02-06-2008, 08:22 AM
i sold one to mineralgrey01gt. i think he runs it, you may want to talk to him and see how he likes it. Corey

garrettagr
02-06-2008, 08:24 AM
in hearing that he does all of that, then i would say that it is not a really bad price. I thought that he only refilled and valved, not resprung too. check it out i guess.
But how does anodozing help witht the cooling?

mdickerson319
02-06-2008, 02:29 PM
$350 is a revalve/resprung. Thanks for the info. Im going to check with C&D before I send it out.

JM317
02-07-2008, 06:15 PM
I just had GT Thunder revalve and respring (eibach spring) my stock rear for $188 and that included return shipping. Everything I've ever had from GT Thunder has been great.

C-LEIGH RACING
02-08-2008, 09:21 AM
In Baldwins defence of what I know & seen, & I'm not saying C&Ds work isnt good either, but, when you have one of the best shock builders you can find in this country looking & holding his hand on your shoulder while your building or repairing a shock, you can rest assured you will be doing the best that you can be taught, Wayne wouldnt have it any other way.
Now I couldnt say for the other guys at Baldwins, but Mark, doing them would be just as if Wayne was doing them.

PEP shocks cant be compaired to any other shocks because 98% of them are custom made to who ever they are going to & for the type of riding/racing they will be used for, thats why they cost so much. You wouldnt be getting a run of the mill shock from PEP or Baldwins. Wayne & Mark both have been to just about every track in the country, took notes each time & know what type of shock needs to be used. Sometimes several shock changes would need to be made during that one day of running.
Mark has had many years walking behind Wayne & being taught by him so any shocks he would do would be the same as Wayne would produce.

Then again, most everybody is looking price, its our duty, so what you have to ask youself is, what do you realy want.

Oh, BTW, I dont own any PEP shocks but its not because I dont want some, maybe one day when I stop dreaming.
Neil

my88r
02-08-2008, 10:34 AM
i think C&D is a little to new at it. i would send mine to mark. i run a hygear. but i but it with that and would never go back to them. their a local place and he doesnt know his $hit.