View Full Version : mods

racer36
02-05-2008, 05:12 PM
what are the most important mods to do to a stock 400ex. I am planning on getting one.

casey_lamm
02-05-2008, 05:42 PM
I would go

1)exhaust (i like white bros or hmf)
2)suspension (450r fronts revalved)
3)motor(new cam, higher compression piston)

After 1 or 3 you will have to rejet. I would suggest removing the air lid and putting in a new high flow air filter such as K&N.

What kind of riding are you going to do? That might help a little.

Originally posted by racer36
what are the most important mods to do to a stock 400ex. I am planning on getting one.

02-05-2008, 05:54 PM
like said above it really needs an exhaust to wake up the motor. Just a slip on will make a huge diffrence. Suspension wise its fine for playing around and small jumps and its alright on the whoops but it needs something much better. Also like said above 450r fronts and getting all 3 shocks revalved/resprung you will be set for almost anything that you try and tackle. And after you get suspension why not be faster by getting engine mods. If you get them before you wont be much fster unless you get suspension.

Honda#4
02-06-2008, 06:51 AM
Suspension first then motor mods and dress up stuff later

TRXRacer1
02-06-2008, 07:27 AM
1) Slip-on, gearing and jetting

2) Dial in rear shock (Way too tight from the factory), get new fronts.

3) Bling, Bling........

mittman
02-06-2008, 07:50 AM
full system pipe

then do the engine

suspension

then you can do the small stuff like bumper, nerf bars thats it

hornetgod13
02-06-2008, 09:03 AM
1.) A good set of nerf bars (SAFETY FIRST)
2.) A nice quality Slip-on Exhaust (Rejet Carb)
3.) Aftermarket Air filter and or Air Box Mods (Rejet Carb)
4.) Suspension Upgrade

Really the limiting factor is money. There are limitless things you can do to a 400EX to improve it's perfromance as well as it's looks but, be warned, once you start, it's nearly impossible to stop.

casey_lamm
02-06-2008, 10:55 AM
very true,
Originally posted by hornetgod13
There are limitless things you can do to a 400EX to improve it's perfromance as well as it's looks but, be warned, once you start, it's nearly impossible to stop.

As you can see everyone has there opinion on the best way to tackle upgrades, but if you give us a better idea of your budget and where/how you plan to ride, we can give you the best bang for your budget.

How familiar are you with the bike? Have you riden the 400 ex before? How long have you had it? I guess what im getting at is some mods...might take you over you capabilities. For instance when I got the 400ex it was my 1st sport bike. I had alot of utilities. I probably would have gotten myself in trouble if I went straight to the high comp piston and cam changes... it does bring the front end up alot...so there are somethings you can put off and work your way into.

Honda#4
02-06-2008, 11:13 AM
Casey pretty much sumed it up.

racer36
02-06-2008, 04:09 PM
For those who want to know, it will be my first full on sport bike, I have been stuck with a ltz250 for about three years and I can throw it around in 5th gear pinned. I will mostly be trail riding and some small jumps on my family farm. As for my budget, I don't want to spend too much as performance goes besides a pipe and maybe a cam. Right away I don't want it to be to fast because a 250 to a 400 is a big leap.

casey_lamm
02-06-2008, 05:15 PM
i stick by what i said earlier then, exhaust is going to probably take about 200.00-250.00 of that for a slip on. I really recommend the HMF. Its great. At the same time you do that I would install the K&N power kit (filter and dynojet combopak).

Jet it, run it...then when you get used to the power and want more... drop a hotcams stg 1 or 2 in and maybe a 11:1 piston...

that should hold you over. At some point you will probably get tired of being beat around then you want to look into shocks. but those I think will run you around 500 after revalving

Well, good luck

For those who want to know, it will be my first full on sport bike, I have been stuck with a ltz250 for about three years and I can throw it around in 5th gear pinned. I will mostly be trail riding and some small jumps on my family farm. As for my budget, I don't want to spend too much as performance goes besides a pipe and maybe a cam. Right away I don't want it to be to fast because a 250 to a 400 is a big leap.

casey_lamm
02-06-2008, 05:16 PM
are you getting a new bike or used. if new i wouldn't do anything till its out of warrenty..
Originally posted by casey_lamm
i stick by what i said earlier then, exhaust is going to probably take about 200.00-250.00 of that for a slip on. I really recommend the HMF. Its great. At the same time you do that I would install the K&N power kit (filter and dynojet combopak).

Jet it, run it...then when you get used to the power and want more... drop a hotcams stg 1 or 2 in and maybe a 11:1 piston...

that should hold you over. At some point you will probably get tired of being beat around then you want to look into shocks. but those I think will run you around 500 after revalving

Well, good luck

xcracer416
02-06-2008, 06:13 PM
well first off i would change tires imo. then i would hit up the suspension. ride awhile the hit up the exhaust,air filter and jet the bike. once you get that taken care of just get used to the set-up. you could race it xc and do great without the cam and piston.
but on the other hand i can give you the best info on a free mod; all you need is a pair of pliers, sit on it as if you was riding. start the engine and let it warm up, then while its idleing feel the slack in the thumb throttle until it starts to pull the cable. pull back the rubber boot off the throttle cable at the housing. use your pliers to break the lock nut loose and adjust the cable out. ONLY adjust it out alittle, then turn your handle bars all the way to the left then all the way right. if it idles up adjust it back a little. usually ive had to adjust all mine about one and a half turns. but adjust it out to the point you cant due to it idleing up when you turn and you will see a difference. great throttle response with this mod.

racer36
02-09-2008, 10:12 AM
thanks guys for all the help, i cant wait to sell my 250 and start building a 400ex.

Brauap
02-09-2008, 10:42 AM

Its sounds like a huge leap, and it is, but only by speed.I went from a 250 Honda recon (utility) to my 400ex last year, when I was 12, you can handle it just fine!

tanner 222
02-09-2008, 11:06 AM
ya i had a 250ex before my 400 and ya it was a big step but nothing to big that your not gonna handle it. i found going from my 400 to a 450 was just as big of step. since the 400 doesnt have great power id go motor mods first. cam, piston etc and then a pipe. i wouldnt fool around with the slip ons cuz they dont give you much power gains. 2-3 extra hp at max. go with the full. then after do some suspension then the safety things. nerfs, tether etc.