PDA

View Full Version : ford's 6.4 dsl? whats the word?

Giz400ex
02-05-2008, 05:08 PM
I was wondering the word on the street about 6.4, any bad or good news on it:confused: I'm looking at all trucks (diesels) and considering the 6.4 is the newest one. I was looking for some feedback here. I am fimiliar with Cummins and the Duramax so I'm just looking for feedback on the 6.4:D

Kickstarts-suck
02-05-2008, 05:56 PM
http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum169/

parkers30
02-05-2008, 06:03 PM
check out one of the Ford truck forums for more detailed info and your own piece of mind, such as:

www.thedieselstop.com
www.powerstrokenation.com

But what I have read is that most love the way it tows, its power, etc... and thinks the trucks are really nice. Some early (job1) trucks had some problems with radiators, and a few other components. Most Job 2 and Job 3 guys only complain about the fuel mileage, some are reporting good mileage though.

The one thing that the Chevy guys like to use is the post by one the OTR freight companies saying that they will no longer be shipping loads with 6.4 liter Ford trucks, but again this seems to be more a of a problem with early trucks.

My Dad's company should be getting a new F450 sevice truck with a 40' boom any day now, should be nice...

diangelo#67
02-05-2008, 06:03 PM
too much $$$$ and emissions

parkers30
02-05-2008, 06:15 PM
I'll agree with that, and I personally would not buy any of the trucks right now, but when you need to replace a truck, it needs replaced.

In the corporate world, when it's time to buy a truck you get what is available that meets your needs, especially when the current truck has 350k+

400exrider707
02-06-2008, 08:57 AM
the 6.4 is supposed to be awesome in every aspect, except fuel mileage, it's the only reason I did NOT buy one instead bought a used 06 6.0. Also I hate the fact that there isn't any more black smoke!:devil:

08mxkfx
02-06-2008, 10:17 AM
My friend has a f-350 6.4 and he gets around 6-7mpg and it has been in the shop like 3 times for an rgr vavle and a few other fuel related problems. He also has a 06 cummins 3500 thats putting out 500hp soon to be alot more and like 1000ft-lbs

infantry317
02-06-2008, 12:22 PM
I've heard that the mileage is awful also. I'm a Ford guy with a 7.3L, but if I had to go get a new diesel it would be a GM truck.

02-06-2008, 12:25 PM
My dads got one, no problems yet. He averages like 17mpg, not to great.

400exrider707
02-06-2008, 01:30 PM
Originally posted by nofearrider1
My dads got one, no problems yet. He averages like 17mpg, not to great.

If your dad actually gets that mileage, he should consider himself one of the luckiest 6.4 owners out there. This is unheard of.

400exrider707
02-06-2008, 01:32 PM
Originally posted by 08mxkfx
My friend has a f-350 6.4 and he gets around 6-7mpg and it has been in the shop like 3 times for an rgr vavle and a few other fuel related problems. He also has a 06 cummins 3500 thats putting out 500hp soon to be alot more and like 1000ft-lbs

That mileage is typical of 6.4's doing heavy towing. I'm guessing you mean EGR valve, not uncommon for an EGR to go on a diesel. I'd still rather have the crappy mileage on the 6.4 than a tranny go on the dodge. Obviously with that much power a beefed up tranny is being used though.

08mxkfx
02-06-2008, 01:55 PM
He never tows with his ford. That what he gets driving it daily during normal use but it doesnt change towing. I hate how everyone thinks dodges tranny's are horrible. My friends tranny was good till about 400hp then it started slipping but now he runs a custom built beefed up tranny and has had no problems. And he used to drive it daily so its very reliable and he was getting around 16mpg. And yeah i meant egr valve.

Waddell
02-06-2008, 08:03 PM
I havent heard anything about the 6.4's but I am guessing they are junk like the 6.0's plus If you have to do any work on the 6.4 the cab has to come off the truck. That's a bad design in my opinion.

The only trany problems I know of on the Dodge is in there gas trucks. Don't really know of any on there diesel trucks.

I belive that the 17mpg is streaching it just a little I dont know of any new powerstokes that get that kind of mileage 6.0's or 6.4's
unless you are always driving down hill:devil:

parkers30
02-06-2008, 10:27 PM
Originally posted by Waddell
I havent heard anything about the 6.4's but I am guessing they are junk like the 6.0's plus If you have to do any work on the 6.4 the cab has to come off the truck. That's a bad design in my opinion.

I don't think having to disassemble half the front clip like you would have to on the GM's for somethings is any better of a design. With how simple it is to take off, I don't think it is a bad thing. The standard R&R for the cab is a 4 a hour job I believe, once a tech knows what he is doing.

The trick to a quick fuel pump change on 90's GM trucks was to take off the bed, not terribly different in principle.

400exrider707
02-07-2008, 05:29 AM
Originally posted by Waddell

The only trany problems I know of on the Dodge is in there gas trucks. Don't really know of any on there diesel trucks.

I belive that the 17mpg is streaching it just a little I dont know of any new powerstokes that get that kind of mileage 6.0's or 6.4's
unless you are always driving down hill:devil:

The 6.0's get a bad rep, but not all are bad. The 03/04's were the problem childs, but even then there are still quite a few out there that are running strong. I bought a used 6.0 over a new 6.4 when I could have had it for virtually the same price. 17mpg is not a stretch by any means for a 6.0. I get 15mpg no matter what tune I'm using or how I'm driving. I'm only at 26,000 miles though, and the mileage will increase as time goes on. With a 2x4 truck 20+ is very attainable, it all depends how you use your right foot. From what I've seen though none of them will ever go past 22-23mpg. (speaking about the 6.0) 6.0's get a bad rep, do you even know what they are known to be bad for? Mostly its a head gasket issue from guys like me running extreme tunes on stock head studs. They're like 400ex's, they pull head studs a lot or warp heads. No one says the 400ex is a piece of junk though? I dont get it? Once you put head studs in a 6.0, they're typically good for up to 500-600 rear wheel hp. I plan on getting mine studded at some point.

Check out the dodge diesel forums. Between trannies and their DPF systems clogging like crazy.... obviously not every truck they built is falling apart, but it is a common problem, and even more so on tuned trucks. The tranny only held to 400hp? Is that at the wheels? All you would need is a tuner for that... so it couldn't hold up to just a tuner? Also are you talking rear wheel hp or crank hp?

What's wrong with taking the cab off? It comes off easier than pulling the motor, that's why they do it. It sounds crazy, but it's really not that big of a deal, especially for a tech who does it regularly.

bens250ex
02-07-2008, 08:01 AM
Originally posted by 400exrider707
The 6.0's get a bad rep, but not all are bad. The 03/04's were the problem childs, but even then there are still quite a few out there that are running strong. I bought a used 6.0 over a new 6.4 when I could have had it for virtually the same price. 17mpg is not a stretch by any means for a 6.0. I get 15mpg no matter what tune I'm using or how I'm driving. I'm only at 26,000 miles though, and the mileage will increase as time goes on. With a 2x4 truck 20+ is very attainable, it all depends how you use your right foot. From what I've seen though none of them will ever go past 22-23mpg. (speaking about the 6.0) 6.0's get a bad rep, do you even know what they are known to be bad for? Mostly its a head gasket issue from guys like me running extreme tunes on stock head studs. They're like 400ex's, they pull head studs a lot or warp heads. No one says the 400ex is a piece of junk though? I dont get it? Once you put head studs in a 6.0, they're typically good for up to 500-600 rear wheel hp. I plan on getting mine studded at some point.

Check out the dodge diesel forums. Between trannies and their DPF systems clogging like crazy.... obviously not every truck they built is falling apart, but it is a common problem, and even more so on tuned trucks. The tranny only held to 400hp? Is that at the wheels? All you would need is a tuner for that... so it couldn't hold up to just a tuner? Also are you talking rear wheel hp or crank hp?

What's wrong with taking the cab off? It comes off easier than pulling the motor, that's why they do it. It sounds crazy, but it's really not that big of a deal, especially for a tech who does it regularly.

yup that about the only flaw to the 6.0 they like to pull headstuds. just get some aftrermarket ones and you will have one hell of a truck. also if you ever want to get a killer wistle on your truck put the 03 6.0 turbo on it. it sounds crazy! ill post some vids later.

quads14589
02-07-2008, 08:04 AM
i wouldnt get a deisel truck anymore because of gas prices my dad has a f350 04 and it is rediculus to fill it up 3.60 a gallon:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Nac's22
02-07-2008, 09:34 AM
A friend of mine has a 6.4 and he is only getting like 8.3 last time I looked at it. I drove it and wasn't impressed by the power at all. My dads 6.0 work trucks feel faster then that.

400exrider707
02-07-2008, 10:59 AM
Originally posted by TRR440EX
A friend of mine has a 6.4 and he is only getting like 8.3 last time I looked at it. I drove it and wasn't impressed by the power at all. My dads 6.0 work trucks feel faster then that.

They are very close in performance, almost identical. The 6.0 probably feels faster because the new 6.4's are very comfortable and smooth trucks. That mileage sounds about right for the 6.4 Most are getting around 12-13 unloaded on the highway.

It sucks having to swipe the credit card more than once to fill my tank due to the limits at the pumps...

I've heard the 03 whistle on a truck... it's truly amazing, I cant believe a simple turbo swap produces that much more whistle.

08mxkfx
02-07-2008, 11:44 AM
Originally posted by 400exrider707

The truck was putting out 453 rear wheel hp according to his dyno sheet. It had a bully dogs chip with crazy larry installed, mbrp dul 4in exhaust with no cats, and an intake. Now he getting stage 3 injectors, getting the head done, changing the cam and fuel system and maybe an ats tt

400exrider707
02-07-2008, 01:37 PM
Originally posted by 08mxkfx
The truck was putting out 453 rear wheel hp according to his dyno sheet. It had a bully dogs chip with crazy larry installed, mbrp dul 4in exhaust with no cats, and an intake. Now he getting stage 3 injectors, getting the head done, changing the cam and fuel system and maybe an ats tt

I'm running right around 400 rwhp and 700rwft/lbs with nothing more than a custom tune. There is still at least one tune above mine, but mostly all it does is lock the TC in all gears, which I dont have a need for. My stock tranny is holding up great. The bullydog chips dont really help the tranny out at all so that could be part of the problem.

Here's a pic of my fuel slut.... I'll get more pics up later with the new add ons.

Waddell
02-07-2008, 04:50 PM
.The 6.0's get a bad rep, but not all are bad. The 03/04's were the problem childs, but even then there are still quite a few out there that are running strong. I bought a used 6.0 over a new 6.4 when I could have had it for virtually the same price. 17mpg is not a stretch by any means for a 6.0. I get 15mpg no matter what tune I'm using or how I'm driving. I'm only at 26,000 miles though, and the mileage will increase as time goes on. With a 2x4 truck 20+ is very attainable, it all depends how you use your right foot. From what I've seen though none of them will ever go past 22-23mpg. (speaking about the 6.0) 6.0's get a bad rep, do you even know what they are known to be bad for? Mostly its a head gasket issue from guys like me running extreme tunes on stock head studs. They're like 400ex's, they pull head studs a lot or warp heads. No one says the 400ex is a piece of junk though? I dont get it? Once you put head studs in a 6.0, they're typically good for up to 500-600 rear wheel hp. I plan on getting mine studded at some point.

Yes I do know what they are bad for. They have computer problems, injector problems, head gaskets, turbo problems, downpipes spliting just to name a few. I know this because my dads has had all of these problems and a friend of mines truck has had most of the same problems. His truck would just shut off going down the road.

Taking the cab off just leads to more things that can happen imo. Like getting scratched or falling off a lift. I am guessing the only reason Ford made the cab so that it can be lifted easy is because they know how much work that has to be done to the 6.0's and they are almost certain to have the same with the 6.4's so now they have a head start on the problems. But who knows the 6.4's may be good trucks but Ford will have to prove that to me after the last crap they have come out with. I would probaly take my chances with a trany in a Dodge or go with a GM.

eastside 400
02-07-2008, 06:49 PM
my dad has an 04 6.0 it has 53,000 miles and so far its on its 3rd turbo, 3rd EGR valve and a couple blown off boost tubes, its a good truck besides all the problems, were looking at getting a LMM GM. also about the 6.4 work and having to pull the cab, the 6.0's require that too, one of the other techs at my shop did a motor swap on a 6.0 cuz the crank had so much back to fourth play that it wouldnt build oil pressure, but he pulled the cab and it took him about the same amount of time as it did for another tech to just take off the front clip pieces to do it.

400exrider707
02-08-2008, 06:22 AM
Originally posted by eastside 400
my dad has an 04 6.0 it has 53,000 miles and so far its on its 3rd turbo, 3rd EGR valve and a couple blown off boost tubes, its a good truck besides all the problems, were looking at getting a LMM GM. also about the 6.4 work and having to pull the cab, the 6.0's require that too, one of the other techs at my shop did a motor swap on a 6.0 cuz the crank had so much back to fourth play that it wouldnt build oil pressure, but he pulled the cab and it took him about the same amount of time as it did for another tech to just take off the front clip pieces to do it.

Most turbo problems are caused from lack of use of the truck in general and lack of use of the skinny pedal on the right. I've heard of guys media blasting the vanes so the soot doesn't build up on them anymore. Also shutting it down after a hard towing or something causes the oil to burn on the turbo since it stops circulating. The boost tubes blowing off are intermittent, but if you search on the forums you will learn how to fix that permanently. It's quite simple fix. EGR valves seem to go on stock and modded trucks with no rhyme or reason. It is a diesel and it produces a lot of soot which can block EGR's and cause them to stick. This can also be solved permanently with an EGR block off tube and a tune that wont throw the engine light for this mod. If these are your only problems on an 04 motor, consider yourself lucky.

Chris 75
02-08-2008, 07:22 AM
Dont forget about the serpentine belt I am on my 3rd one in 16000 miles and a few of my friends have had them replaced

400exrider707
02-08-2008, 08:27 AM
Originally posted by Chris 75
Dont forget about the serpentine belt I am on my 3rd one in 16000 miles and a few of my friends have had them replaced

This is definitely something I have not heard of, or seen anything of on the forums... I'm at 26,000 running extreme tune, no belts replaced yet...