PDA

View Full Version : Where is Honda?!

05SnowPred
02-05-2008, 04:43 PM
The ATV world is in a very good place these days. We have so many great choices and it seems there are local racing series emerging across the country. I personally have found amateur racing to be a lot of fun. It has given me the opportunity to meet a lot of great people with similar interests. Cross country ATV racing is experiencing unprecedented growth. The GNCC, which has emerged as the premier cross country racing series, had in excess of 7000 different riders participate this year (that includes bike numbers). I expect the trend will continue this year.

It seems almost all major manufacturer's have stepped up to the plate to support top pros in the sport of cross country ATV racing. The manufacturer’s presence at racing events adds to the atmosphere and spectacle of the event. Their presence helps to draw in spectators, new riders and veteran riders are excited to see the kind of support previously reserved for the dirt bike crowd.

Polaris has expanded their efforts and support throughout the Country. They have established teams racing on both coasts in the most elite racing series. Polaris continues to develop more competitive, cutting edge performance ATV’s.

Can-Am’s commitment to the racer is also very impressive. The level of support Can-Am has dedicated to our sport is exciting. It is apparent Can-Am’s racing success has contributed to a rapid increase in market share within the utility segment.

KTM has arrived on the scene with a solid presence in the cross country racing scene. With 2 factory riders inside the top 6, they are serious about supporting the growing GNCC series and establishing their brand in the ATV world.

Yamaha is continuing their successful partnership with top pro GNCC riders. There is always a lot of blue when you arrive at the races. Yamaha seems to be ahead of it’s time when it comes to showing the kind of commitment it takes to earn a championship. They have established their riders and equipment as a top choice for anyone looking to go racing.

Suzuki showed interest a few years ago, but has been absent lately. It would be nice to see big Yellow back in the woods. I hope the rumors are true about Suzuki and their #1 contender this year. Competition is good. It will probably take another factory rider to unseat the reigning champion.

Kawasaki entered the pro cross country racing scene with a proven veteran rider. The team struggled to put a first year production ATV at the front of the pack. We have seen glimpses of what could be if the development of their equipment continues. I look forward to seeing the innovative KFX450 back on Pro Row in the future. That would help the manufacturer and aftermarket make advancements and put the Kawi on the podium.

Those manufacturer’s have stepped up when it comes to racer support in the premier cross country racing series’ around the country. Which brings me to the point of this rant……. WHERE IS HONDA? The GNCC contingencies are an insult to the racers. Factory support seems to have been overlooked. Honda has become the ATV of the privateer. A low risk solid platform to be used until factory support can be secured. With the development of the new 450’s and the support being given by the respective factories; Honda can expect to see a sharp decline in numbers (or at least market share) at major cross country racing series. As an amateur racer and paying customer, I look to the companies who are committed to ATV Racing. Those are the companies developing new equipment and refining their products each year. I understand Honda can, to some degree, count on the past and brand loyalty considering their history with the venerable 250R, but times are changing. There are many more viable options to riders today than yesterday.

I am hopeful Honda will step up and support the cross country ATV Pro’s in the same way they do their motorcross riders. Honda belongs at the races. Everybody who owns an ATV enjoys cross country riding. Why is this segment of the race community being ignored by Big Red? There are still some top pro riders on the Honda. Losing the GNCC number one contender was a mistake by Honda. It is time for the factory to recognize top pros with the support that their competitors are receiving. Otherwise, Honda may find themselves at the back of the pack in sales.

Attention Honda: There is a high concentration of riders is on the East Coast. Most of them are cross country riders. Wake up!

02-05-2008, 05:17 PM
yeah i dont know what Honda is doing? I went to an MX race Staurday and I saw all but maybe 5 Honda's out of all the ATV classes. Thats a lot of riders and only about 5 Honda'? And they arent really trying to sign big name riders contracts or support worth them going to Honda. They need to step up their game. Sure Honda has tons of other products cars being the biggest but thats no reason o stop or slow down things for the Honda ATV world. I'm really hoping they do something this year or next year such as getting their act together to be back on top and improving their machines. The highly anticipated new 400ex isnt much of an improvement. All they did was shange the plastics really and thats it. The 450r all they did was change the graphics. All they have to do is add something that makes everyone else look at Honda and say that is awesome they have that or such and such part on that Honda is the best.

trx400EXtreme
02-05-2008, 05:26 PM
yea honda is diggin' there self into a deep hole. i was really expecting a much better 400ex. i'm not saying it's not better, but they made such a huge deal about it and for what, some new plastics? they said it had "bold new graphics".:ermm: woo hoo? also the fact they wont step up and start a factory team sucks. i was really disapointed when i found out honda wasn't going to have a factory team for 08. it would be sweet to see a team red out on the track.

jesseweaver
02-05-2008, 07:32 PM
if honda would have started just a few years ago, theyy could have a crazy team. im sure natalie would have rode with them. they probably would have been anle to get weinen. joe byrd would have probably rode for them too. chris borich too... the list goes on. if they want to start now, about the only guy theyd get is dunk, unless they wanted to really spend a lot.

D-7#61-450r
02-05-2008, 07:46 PM
Check out Baldwins web page. Names Like Upperman, Byrd, Goodman, Dunk, and possibly Clay Holmes if he moves up. As far as the gncc guys not to sure. I am sad to see some of the top guys go elsewhere, but thats what happens when money talks. I expect Upperman will be someone to really watch now that he is back on a Honda.

coryatver
02-05-2008, 07:55 PM
It will be interesting to see the results these guys get for going to other companies for the money. I think honda is redesigning the 450r for 09 and will have a factory team. Wonder which of these guys will want back on a honda after this season. Also honda seems to only sponser Champions.

As for not sponsoring any GNCC racers you have to win a championship before they will give you a full ride. They are offering 25,000 to anyone that can win the championship on a honda and they would probley offer them a full ride. But until someone proves they can beat Ballance who is OWNED by Yamaha for the rest of his life they are not going to do it.

NJ450rider
02-05-2008, 10:47 PM
The answer to this is that Honda doesnt care. nothing else needs to be said about this.

my88r
02-05-2008, 10:51 PM
Originally posted by NJ450rider
The answer to this is that Honda doesnt care. nothing else needs to be said about this.

NJ450rider
02-05-2008, 11:03 PM
Its a shame too theres so many diehard honda fans that have sold off there hondas for other brands that care more about supporting atv riding/racing.

This will probably be my last year on my 450R. Im just waiting to see the longterm reliability of the other new 450's out. The 09 honda 450R would have to be extremely innovative/impressive for me to stick with honda. i highly doubt it will be anything close to those two things.

Id suggest everyone buy/ride/support the other atv brands that want to support you. Its definatly not on a honda.

my88r
02-05-2008, 11:11 PM
i got my eye on the ktm 450xc:eek2:

Rulz
02-06-2008, 05:42 AM
Why would Honda care about ATV racing when they are still outselling all over ATV's combined? They probably sell 6 times the number of "farm animals" then sport ATV's. Until those farm animal sales start going in the crapper, they won't wake up and smell the coffee!

54warrior
02-06-2008, 06:00 AM
Originally posted by Rulz
Why would Honda care about ATV racing when they are still outselling all over ATV's combined? They probably sell 6 times the number of "farm animals" then sport ATV's. Until those farm animal sales start going in the crapper, they won't wake up and smell the coffee!

Sadly, you are 100% correct. I do think the other mfg's are starting to steal that part of the pie though too.

I'm totally impressed with what Can-Am has to offer, in all regards, sport and utility. Very nice stuff. Great ideas, well thought out products. Seem to be reliable too.

DF400ex
02-06-2008, 06:10 AM
Originally posted by NJ450rider

Pretty much. Honda has a great loyal fan base. I've owned a few other quads in my day, and have ridden pretty much every sport quad out there, and I still prefer Honda.

Still, it would be nice to see Honda out there supporting riders. I think it would be really cool if they signed maybe one or two top pros, and spent the rest of their racing budget supporting the up and comers in the ammeter ring. I'm not saying for them to fully support them, but price breaks on machines, parts, and what not. A little financial help goes a long way when you are a private racer trying to keep your quad race ready.

Bottom line, people choose Honda for a reason when they are paying for stuff themselves. But when it comes right down to it, they go where they can get sponsored.