PDA

View Full Version : makin the switch

ATVMX905
02-05-2008, 04:07 PM
I no u guys will probally be wondering why i would want to switch to dirt bikes but oh well. I used to race them when i was younger up until i was 13 then i got into quads. I just miss it too much, imo, they are way funner than quads, and really fast. I think im gonna make the switch im not sure yet though. Anybody in the same situation?;)

02-05-2008, 04:21 PM
I just got a 2006 Kx250F and I couldnt be happier. Its really fast and handles great. I rode quads for 2 years till I switched and the only thing I miss about having a quad is ridding on the snow days but this winner sucks any ways

ZeroLogic
02-05-2008, 05:14 PM
Take ya trainin wheels off boy!:macho

Shift_450R
02-05-2008, 06:14 PM
i went from a 400EX to a yz125 couldnt be any happier:blah:

ATVMX905
02-06-2008, 03:11 PM
Originally posted by ZeroLogic
Take ya trainin wheels off boy!:macho

HAHA, thats what im doin. I just miss it too much. Theres no greater feeling then crackin the throttle on a dirtbike lol.

02-06-2008, 03:39 PM
Originally posted by Shift_450R
i went from a 400EX to a yz125 couldnt be any happier:blah:

i'm pretty sure thats a downgrade...

Shift_450R
02-06-2008, 04:27 PM
Originally posted by FoxHondaRider

please enlighten me how it was a downgrade? The yz's suspension is light years ahead of the 400EX's the power difference is night and day compared to the 400. So please tell me why it was a downgrade? Have you ever ridden a yz125? If you answered no to the last question proceed to put your foot in your mouth and keep it there.Have a nice day :)

CRich[814]
02-06-2008, 04:53 PM

you either...

A) smoke crack.
B) have never ridden a yz125.
C) thing 2 wheels isn't enough.

shadowwalker
02-06-2008, 06:06 PM
I can't use a twist throttle:confused:

I was messing on the Kawi 85 2 smoke my brother use to have and almost hit the fence more than once.

02-06-2008, 07:24 PM
I just cant stand 125 sorry thats why I said it was a down grade from a 400ex.

416exfreak
02-06-2008, 07:29 PM
I wish my dad would let me go back to bikes.

I miss my old CR125 so much:(

If he would, I would get an 07 or 08 KX250F. Or either one of the SE YZ250f's.

The all white ones. Those are so sick. If I ever do a complete rebuild on my 440 its going to be to white on white. Just like Espo's YFZ.:p

02-06-2008, 09:14 PM
its a fact that quads are harder to be fast on. anyone can be fast on a bike with a little time. but it takes natural talent to be fast on a quad.

Sportrax10
02-06-2008, 09:35 PM
Kinda got forced into the dirt bikes after my quad got stolen. Ill be honest though, I was really surprised.. Not only did I learn fast, but I really like them. So much that I will not part with it now that I am getting back into quads.. :devil:

CSR400EX
02-07-2008, 01:48 AM
i want to get another bike, but i want a 4 stroke. id like to have a CRF450 or a KX450F. i used to ride bikes for six years, and i like both worlds, but there are places for both machines.

mineralgrey01gt
02-07-2008, 07:27 AM
its more of a personal preference. I have ridden dirtbikes before but have way more fun on my 250r.

02-07-2008, 11:55 AM
Bikes are alot harder to ride then quads, Anybody can get on a quad and ride it

02-07-2008, 01:56 PM
Originally posted by Doug Hansing

That is true to a certain extent. Bikes are hard at 1st but its really easy to get good quick. Quads you can know how to ride 1 but to ride 1 good it takes a lot of skill and time.

Shift_450R
02-07-2008, 07:29 PM
That is true to a certain extent. Bikes are hard at 1st but its really easy to get good quick. Quads you can know how to ride 1 but to ride 1 good it takes a lot of skill and time.

not really, when i hopped on my quad i had tons of confidence it took me no time and i was hitting pretty big jumps and trying everything i could. once i got on my bike my confidence level went way down, bikes are alot tougher than people think. heres me on my 400 3 months after i got it with no riding experience prior

Shift_450R
02-07-2008, 07:35 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/kwiatkowski/Heelclicker.jpg

i didnt have my 400 for long when this pic was taken too. i was able to adapt to my quad 10x easier than my bike. I hit every jump i could i dont know i just wasnt scared of anything on my quad

ALAMX37
02-07-2008, 07:36 PM
1. Riding a quad fast (A class) with good form is a lot more difficult than riding a dirt bike. I would know, because I have done both. Everything is easier on a dirtbike, plus it doesn't wear you out nearly as fast.
2. There is no chance in hell unless you have been racing two wheelers since you were small you will ever be a pro dirt biker.
3. It's all about fun so which ever puts the smile on your face thats where you need to be.

KXRida
02-08-2008, 08:28 AM
Originally posted by z400rider08
its a fact that quads are harder to be fast on. anyone can be fast on a bike with a little time. but it takes natural talent to be fast on a quad.

I gotta kinda disagree with you there. After racing both bikes and quads I found bikes harder to be fast on. Bikes are a bunch harder to corner than quads, but I must say I hate jumping quads anymore, but everyone knows you make your time in the corners.

I raced quad C and was usually mid pack, but that same season I started bikes, so I've been on a bike ever since. In that first corner it's a lot better to be on 4 wheels instead of two as well.

They have their pro's and con's, but to keep up with say half the 250c's (used to be 125c) here in D5, you gotta know what you're doing. Quad C, haha half of those guys I've seen are a joke, but the other half doesn't mess around!

trick450r
02-08-2008, 09:05 AM
i have extensive bike experience on a ktm 250sxf and i must say i got right on that thing and was pretty quick, my first lap on it i hit every jump on the track...

I think quads are much easier to ride, but much harder to ride fast. And if you dont understand that than thats simply because your not that fast yet.

And to the guy that said you'd rather be on 4 wheel than two in the first corner. I cannot agree just because
A. their simply isnt enough room for every quad to go through like on bikes.
B. Atleast one person ALWAYS goes down in the first corner.
C. When you go down on a quad you have to remember that quads CHASE YOU bikes just fall over.

trick450r
02-08-2008, 09:06 AM
but to the guy that said its easy to be fast on a bike is wrong.

If you want to make it past B class on either of them you need natural talent for sure.

KXRida
02-08-2008, 09:11 AM
I would much rather be on a quad in the first corner. Nerf bars and 4 wheels are a little better protection than sharp foot pegs and kamakaze riders.

02-08-2008, 11:36 AM
I've ridden a bike for two years now, used to be on a full mx 400. Two years my friend who has ridden bikes his whole life, and never prior had he jumped any jump on a fourwheeler. We went to the track and I was doing this small 50 ft table. He got on my fourwheeler(That was his first time EVER riding a fourwheeler on a track, and his FIRST TIME EVER riding anything but his mom's farm machine) and proceeded to do the same table his first time trying, that's when I switched to bikes. :cool:

NJ450rider
02-08-2008, 12:21 PM
Its funny to see me on a dirtbike. Youd sware id never ridden before! lol On a quad is a way diff story.

I dunno ive always loved 4 wheels better than 2. Except for when i was younger riding bmx bikes. after 14 years on a bmx youd think i would be able to ride a dirtbike around fairly easy. Nope complete opposite. lol

My brother has been riding/racing dirtbikes since he was 13. hes now 25 and still rides a ton. He is scared to death of my 450R and is horrible on it. He cant ride a quad for crap. Its not one is easier than the other its what your more use to/comfortable riding.

For me its quads and my bro its dirtbikes.

And i have quite a few friends that ride/race motocross in the amateur b class (thats one above novice/c class) and higher and they all think that riding a quad as fast as dirtbike around a track its alot tougher. mainly due to the fact an atv weights tripple what a dirtbike weighs. its alot more machine to throw around. And i also agree about dirtbikes fall over if you lose them and quads roll and chase you down. to say atvs are alot easier isnt true. racing one definalty takes skill and talent to be fast.

I was just thinking it would be great to have pros from the motocross world and pros from the atv world swap machines and have a race. would be funny to watch!!!

ALAMX37
02-08-2008, 12:29 PM
Several ATV pro's race dirtbikes for crosstraining. Natalie has been known to enter every Pro class at the local stuff.
Quad Pro 125,250 Pro

KXRida
02-09-2008, 07:18 AM
Originally posted by ALAMX37
Several ATV pro's race dirtbikes for crosstraining. Natalie has been known to enter every Pro class at the local stuff.
Quad Pro 125,250 Pro

he did not run pro class, just 125A and 250A, never pro on bikes.

Brauap
05-11-2008, 12:39 PM
Hey! I just bought a 2002 Yamaha YZ125 (rode it 2hours and now it needs a rebuild) and I have a 2003 Honda 400EX, where do you live? I live in Canfield, Ohio. Maybe we can go riding once I get my YZ fixed! ;)

Flyin-Low
05-11-2008, 02:15 PM

I'm getting sick of seeing all these threads about people switching to bikes and then having quads bashed.. Kinda like how ZeroLogic is starting to piss me off with some of his comments.

krt400ex
05-11-2008, 02:46 PM
I just cant stand 125 sorry thats why I said it was a down grade from a 400ex.

why is it that you cant stand the 125? is it because they whoop your arse every time you line up next to one...the 125's are awesome bikes, and i am still considering buying one myself

zukirules
05-11-2008, 03:35 PM
You'll be very happy if you're coming from the 400ex. I always have the thought of switching in the back of my mind, cause quads are tooooo expensive.

zukirules
05-11-2008, 03:38 PM

When that saying is true, the person riding the quad doesn't know how to ride, and is just putting around. Cause it has 4 wheels, anyone can hop on it and go in a straight line, a dirtbike everyone says is harder cause it takes a while to get use to balancing. But, have someone who's new go to the track and try and hit every jump, I can almost bet my quad that they will eat $hit on the first jump.

KXRida
05-11-2008, 03:47 PM
Originally posted by zukirules
When that saying is true, the person riding the quad doesn't know how to ride, and is just putting around. Cause it has 4 wheels, anyone can hop on it and go in a straight line, a dirtbike everyone says is harder cause it takes a while to get use to balancing. But, have someone who's new go to the track and try and hit every jump, I can almost bet my quad that they will eat $hit on the first jump.

I could almost bet my bike that they wouldn't even leave the ground on a dirt bike.

ATVMX905
05-11-2008, 05:05 PM
Originally posted by Brauap
Hey! I just bought a 2002 Yamaha YZ125 (rode it 2hours and now it needs a rebuild) and I have a 2003 Honda 400EX, where do you live? I live in Canfield, Ohio. Maybe we can go riding once I get my YZ fixed! ;)

if ur talking to me, i live in mcdonald, ohio. AIM>fitbmx38

WhiteZrider
05-11-2008, 08:38 PM
Eh, all you have to worry about is balancing or falling over, I use to ride dirtbikes, i'd say its harder to go faster on a quad than on a dikebike.

KXRida
05-11-2008, 08:41 PM
Originally posted by WhiteZrider
Eh, all you have to worry about is balancing or falling over, I use to ride dirtbikes, i'd say its harder to go faster on a quad than on a dikebike.

after riding/racing both, I feel it's harder to go faster on bikes. Harder to jump a quad, but 1000 times easier to corner on. Everyone knows the saying... Jump for show, corner for dough.

eastcoastpro20
05-11-2008, 08:51 PM
anybody can go jump a fourwheeler and corner one yea
but theres a difference in doin it and bein fast while doin it. You guys say its so easy to get on a fourwheeler, then why dont you do it the way ya talk ya could run with John Natalie, Doug gust, etc.
I know a lot of dirtbike riders who say quad guys take the most **** but that we also have the biggest balls and theres no way they would get out there on one.
It just ticks me off so bad when people sit their and say its so easy to race fourwheelers.

eastcoastpro20
05-11-2008, 08:54 PM
I know everyone has the rite to be here and im not sayin you dont. But last i checked this is ATVRIDERS.COM, so y are all you mx guys comin on here and talkin crap?

blacknblue#2
05-11-2008, 09:14 PM
I ride and race both. a CRF450 and a 450R. a bike makes stuff so much easier with more power and half the weight. But im twice as fast on a quad cause thats just where i have it. i think you have to really have something to be fast one a quad. anyone can cruise around a track and not be fast but we have to fight that dang rut that the bike leaves. If you dont know how to judge your speed and braking your gonna slide to far in a turn and kill your speed and it takes more for us to get over the gaps than it does the bikes. Ive jumped many jumps that guys on 450 bikes wont jump and i love that feeling haha. I really do like it when the honest bike guys tell me there is no way they would try to jump some of that stuff on a quad tho.

KXRida
05-12-2008, 06:17 AM
Originally posted by blacknblue#2
I ride and race both. a CRF450 and a 450R. a bike makes stuff so much easier with more power and half the weight. But im twice as fast on a quad cause thats just where i have it. i think you have to really have something to be fast one a quad. anyone can cruise around a track and not be fast but we have to fight that dang rut that the bike leaves. If you dont know how to judge your speed and braking your gonna slide to far in a turn and kill your speed and it takes more for us to get over the gaps than it does the bikes. Ive jumped many jumps that guys on 450 bikes wont jump and i love that feeling haha. I really do like it when the honest bike guys tell me there is no way they would try to jump some of that stuff on a quad tho.

Just ride your bike faster and rail those ruts! Oh I'll tell you straight up I wouldn't try half the stuff on a quad that I do on a bike anymore. I used to race quads, but after riding bikes It'd be so hard for me to even try to jump a quad anymore, so I don't even really bother with them until the snow comes or I trade off with one of my buddy's. What really gets me is when the quad guys take advantage of their weight on the track and use that agaisnt the bikes. It's one thing to be bar to bar to a bike, but a quad, no way. That grudge ended up getting someone hurt one day at the track, which is one of the main reasons they only let quads run one day up there.

ATVMX905
05-12-2008, 02:55 PM
My dads pickin me up an 06 crf250x this week. I cant wait!!:D Im gonna throw a fmf q2 exhaust and jet kit, and maybe a twin air filter when i get it.

jesseweaver
05-12-2008, 06:18 PM
i agree it might be harder to go fast on a quad than on a bike, but i'm looking to go as fast and as far as possible, so it makes sense for me to get a bike. and until they come out with some sort of machine that can get around an mx track faster than a bike, thats what i'm gonna get. ill admit riding a quad is more fun though, ill probably get another one when im too old to go fast. but when you can have a bike for much cheaper and go much farther and faster i dont see it being a hard choice. maybe if i did just trails or fields or something it might be a little different though.

i agree its awesome to see guys that look really good rolling jumps that you hit on your quad, but i don't know how much farther mine is gonna go, im hitting 75+ on stock rear shock and not that great front shocks. im not gonna go put 3 grand in suspension just so i can go another 25 feet, when i see stock bikes that you can buy for under 3,000 going that far.

gcart2
05-12-2008, 06:28 PM

On a track dirtbikes have a huge advantage. It takes a lot more skill to go fast on a quad on a track.

Honda TRX250ex
05-12-2008, 08:32 PM
gotta get some nice riding gear like this one :macho

KXRida
05-13-2008, 07:14 AM
Originally posted by ATVMX905
My dads pickin me up an 06 crf250x this week. I cant wait!!:D Im gonna throw a fmf q2 exhaust and jet kit, and maybe a twin air filter when i get it.

Get the crf250R... You'll be MUCH happier.

quad59
05-13-2008, 07:56 AM
Bikes are cheaper and at least in my area you can ride more tracks on a bike than a quad. Most practice tracks around here are no quads.

ATVMX905
05-13-2008, 04:53 PM
Originally posted by KXRida
Get the crf250R... You'll be MUCH happier.

I wanted an x, because it had lights so i can ride at night. lol;)

KXRida
05-13-2008, 08:17 PM
The R has a much better motor and loads more power.

Honda TRX250ex
05-13-2008, 08:34 PM
The R has a much better motor and loads more power.
so buy him one

bcg717
05-13-2008, 08:55 PM
I'm making the switch this week. To many places closing down to quads around here.

KXRida
05-14-2008, 05:30 AM
Originally posted by Honda TRX250ex
so buy him one

Why in the world would I spend money on a honda? :eek2:

Honda TRX250ex
05-14-2008, 04:48 PM
i thought maybe you decided you might become a man

my88r
05-14-2008, 05:16 PM

:huh :mad:

KXRida
05-14-2008, 07:56 PM
i thought maybe you decided you might become a man

That's why I had a ktm and now a yamaha :eek:

my88r
05-14-2008, 08:07 PM
That's why I had a ktm and now a yamaha :eek:

you got rid of a ktm for a yamaha.... :mad:

KXRida
05-15-2008, 01:22 PM
because the suspension blew more than pamela anderson. I didn't really feel like unloading the money to have everything redone. Mxtech quoted me at a little under $1200 for the full deal. Screw that. Now for the yzf, a full works would be 800ish with all new seals, bushings, springs, and valves.

krt400ex
05-15-2008, 01:57 PM

cuz you know that honda is #1 :D

KXRida
05-16-2008, 08:26 AM
Originally posted by krt400ex
cuz you know that honda is #1 :D

When it comes to crf 50's heck yah! Hands down I'd take a honda!

my88r
05-16-2008, 10:49 AM
because the suspension blew more than pamela anderson. I didn't really feel like unloading the money to have everything redone. Mxtech quoted me at a little under $1200 for the full deal. Screw that. Now for the yzf, a full works would be 800ish with all new seals, bushings, springs, and valves.

if you set the suspension up correctly. as i have mine. they are great.

KXRida
05-17-2008, 10:52 AM
Originally posted by my88r
if you set the suspension up correctly. as i have mine. they are great.

06 suspension is 1000x better than the 04. The 04 needs a considerable amount of work to be nice for me. The power was there, but the suspension blew donkey ding dong. A correct set up for me would require a full suspension service. I replace seals and bushing regardless so I know they're fresh. Active ride can usually get me in around $800ish for a full service.

Honda TRX250ex
05-17-2008, 09:00 PM
06 suspension is 1000x better than the 04. The 04 needs a considerable amount of work to be nice for me. The power was there, but the suspension blew donkey ding dong. A correct set up for me would require a full suspension service. I replace seals and bushing regardless so I know they're fresh. Active ride can usually get me in around $800ish for a full service.
I got a idea, if you guys want to argue do it over AOL or email ;)

KXRida
05-18-2008, 08:51 AM
I got a idea, if you guys want to argue do it over AOL or email ;)

and enlighten me on how this is arguing when we're talking about suspensions? :confused:

I got an idea, if us guys are "arguing" about dirt bikes, don't read the thread ;)

Ruby Soho
05-18-2008, 09:05 AM
my quad will be gone this week or this coming weekend.

then im off to check out a 2006 YZ250F

and im going to try and get some more money for trick450r's drz110

my garage is loosing wheels:p

my88r
05-18-2008, 12:15 PM
and enlighten me on how this is arguing when we're talking about suspensions? :confused:

I got an idea, if us guys are "arguing" about dirt bikes, don't read the thread ;)

exactly,