PDA

View Full Version : clutch adjust question

fxbrry
02-05-2008, 02:00 PM
I originally posted this in the KFX400 forum but I never get any help in there so I figured I post it here since there are alot more posts and users in here. My problem is on my KFX400 but is applicable to any quad with a clutch so here it goes...

I have an 06 that I bought used. The motor begins to pull when the clutch lever is almost all the way out ( farthest from grip). Im afraid that the clutch isnt completely out and I'll burn it up. I tried to adjust the cable on the perch and the adjust screw is all the way in toward the grip. If I adjust in out the other way it makes the problem worse. Its farily new and shouldnt need a new clutch. In 4th and 5th gear at higher rpm's If I give it full throttle the motor revs but the bike doesnt pull as hard as it should. THis makes me think the clutch isnt all the way out and is slipping. Whats going on? Am I adjusting the clutch correctly? At what point should the clutch release? Thanks.

drew416ex
02-05-2008, 02:45 PM
I have mine adjusted where there is about 1/8-1/16" of free play at the lever. If you have that slight freeplay, you know the clutch is enguaged all the way. IF its still slipping, it may be time for some new plates.

Firey400ex
02-05-2008, 06:34 PM
Your clutch cable might be stretched out. If you have to replace it, it's a pretty cheap fix.

TRXRacer1
02-06-2008, 05:43 AM
Originally posted by Firey400ex
Your clutch cable might be stretched out. If you have to replace it, it's a pretty cheap fix. A stretched cable would do the opposite, he'd have a harder time disengaging it.

Try loosening the adjustments up, so that there is no tension on the lever when it's out all the way. If that doesn't work then maybe it's time for a clutch service.

dustin_j
02-06-2008, 08:18 AM
There's also an adjustment down by the engine.

kfx400rider03
02-06-2008, 07:58 PM
theres another adjustment spot in the front about 9 inchs away from the perch(just as the cable goes into the plastics up front). it has a rubber boot thing covering the adjustment. just slide the rubber peise aside and it will be simaler to the adjust ment on the perch.

kfx400rider03
02-06-2008, 07:58 PM
theres another adjustment spot in the front about 9 inchs away from the perch(just as the cable goes into the plastics up front). it has a rubber boot thing covering the adjustment. just slide the rubber peise aside and it will be simaler to the adjust ment on the perch.