PDA

View Full Version : Rear Brake Pedal Spongy - No Stopping Power

charlie211
02-05-2008, 12:54 PM
I have just replaced the rear pads on my Suzuki LTZ400 and bled them out to find out that stepping on the brake peddle has no effect at all on the rotor. Not even the slightest rusty grindy rock sound. However the parking brake, run off of of the cable, works like superman on steroids. Obviously no pressure from the Dot 4. What could it be? Maybe a bad seal? The only time I saw brake fluid leak out of the caliper was when I replacing the pads and tinkering with the parking brake adjuster screw and a couple of drips but that was it, however my reservoir was damn near empty. :huh

JOEX
02-05-2008, 03:18 PM
Could be the master cylinder...

quad97
02-07-2008, 12:00 AM
not good to see fluid when replacing pads or adjusting the parking brake. I had a set of front brake lines go bad internally and the front brakes did not work at all, lever went straight to the bars.

John451
02-13-2008, 07:46 PM
Test it by unhooking the line from the caliper and putting a finger on either side and pinch it and push on the lever if it doesnt have any pressure, take it off at the other end. If it still doesnt, prob need a new brake. But other than that I would say adjust the plonger at the back of the lever so it pushes it more. Good luck.

Waddell
02-13-2008, 08:42 PM
You may have to pull the pistion out of the caliper and clean it good I have seen them seize up when they are dirty and you compress them.

charlie211
02-14-2008, 05:45 AM
Well, I took her to the shop yesterday... It turns out that the seal in the caliper around the piston is blown. It is going to cost me $96 to fix with a new seal kit and labor charges. Oh well, I figure its my brakes and I would like them to be done right, just in case I need to stop one day!

John451
02-14-2008, 01:43 PM
Originally posted by charlie211
Well, I took her to the shop yesterday... It turns out that the seal in the caliper around the piston is blown. It is going to cost me $96 to fix with a new seal kit and labor charges. Oh well, I figure its my brakes and I would like them to be done right, just in case I need to stop one day!

Wow, thats quite a bit just for a seal. But worth it, will save you and ur bike.
Haha when I saw that pic I was like AHHH!!! That had to $uck!!!!

JOEX
02-14-2008, 08:00 PM
Originally posted by charlie211
$96:eek2: OUCH! About $90 of that is labor...:ermm: