STEVENJANNA
02-05-2008, 11:53 AM
http://editorial.autos.msn.com/article.aspx?cp-documentid=445275&topart=pickups

coryatver
02-05-2008, 01:13 PM
that just goes to show the media has no idea about our sport

Pipeless416
02-05-2008, 01:21 PM
on long trails i can get about 45 mpg's. and they're saying the average rider spends $1000 in fuel each year?? at $3 a gallon, im sorry, but im not covering 15,000 miles per year on my quad. and seriously, taking one gas powered atv away is like taking 4 cars off the road? come on now. :rolleyes: i think they're still using 2 stroke stats, and a 2 stroke thats running constantly, or 15,000 miles per year for that matter. hippies..:bandit: maybe cutting out their hippie activities will be like getting rid of 3 cars on the roads :eek2:

STEVENJANNA
02-05-2008, 03:50 PM
You have to take a close look at who wrote the article.

jesseweaver
02-05-2008, 07:28 PM
wow jacob gordon of treehugger.com:rolleyes: thats pathetic. i dont see how msn could put that on their site.

wilkin250r
02-06-2008, 12:21 AM
Originally posted by Pipeless416
taking one gas powered atv away is like taking 4 cars off the road? come on now. :rolleyes: i think they're still using 2 stroke stats, and a 2 stroke thats running constantly,

I'll agree with the "running constantly" aspect, but I'm not too sure that the rest of the stat is too far off.

I came across a study a while ago about ATVs and pollution. I was shocked to find that my little 250cc motor put out about TEN TIMES as much unburnt-hydrocarbon pollution as a standard V8.

I'm not talking per cubic inch. I'm saying that my little 15 cubic inch engine puts out ten times as much as a modern 350 cubic inch truck. If you break that down per unit volume, then it's 230 times more polluting for every given CC of displacement.

Four-stroke ATVs aren't nearly as bad, but they are still carbureted, and fairly inefficient. I don't have the exact statistics in front of me, but I would bet that a standard 450cc engine does indeed put out about 4 times as much pollution as a standard economy car with a 3-liter engine per mile, or per minute.

Like I said, however, I do agree with you to some extent. The average car gets easily 20 times the milage and running time of any ATV.

54warrior
02-06-2008, 06:22 AM
That "Barefoot" Atv is a project that one of the mythbuster dudes is involved in.

bwamos
02-06-2008, 07:03 AM
Originally posted by wilkin250r
I'll agree with the "running constantly" aspect, but I'm not too sure that the rest of the stat is too far off.

I came across a study a while ago about ATVs and pollution. I was shocked to find that my little 250cc motor put out about TEN TIMES as much unburnt-hydrocarbon pollution as a standard V8.

I'm sure ATV's are. There's no catalytic converter on an ATV.

That being said.. you're average lawnmower also puts out more emissions than an ATV or V8 motor does according to government emmission studies I've seen.

STEVENJANNA
02-06-2008, 08:02 AM
This is how it starts..............They couldn't get rid of ATV's via the CPSC now they're gonna use the Global Warming, "Green" angle to try and get rid of them. It just goes to show that this is going to be an endless battle with environmentalist and we need to stay vigilant. We need the ATVA and all the local organizations to be our voice on the front lines. So support your local advocacy group and for God sakes if you aren't a member of the ATVA sign up.

Toadz400
02-06-2008, 09:10 AM
I hate hippies so much...

They don't take into account how much their weed pollutes the environment or their crappy old VW van that gets 5 mpg.

*Edit* I just noticed this in that article.

"But according to Scheder, charging an electric ATV with power from the grid, rather than paying $3.00 a gallon for gasoline, could save owners $1,000 a year."

So that means for $1,000 that translates to 333.33 gallons. So if an ATV is getting roughly 30-45 MPG that means they think most of us are riding our ATVs 10,000-15,000 miles a year. That is a lot of miles to put on an ATV! That would be like doing the Baja 1000 10-15 times...wow! I never knew I put so many miles on my YFZ!:eek2: Guess I should start driving my YFZ to school and work instead of my truck as I'll be getting twice the mileage. I wouldn't even mind throwing a catalytic converter on it for that kind of mileage.

416exfreak
02-06-2008, 11:39 AM
That article is biased, yet MSN still allowed it to be posted on thier site. This shows that MSN obviosly doesnt care about how thier news is seen.

I use CNN and FoxNews for things that actually matter.

Think about it logically. It would be impossible to ban ATV's. To many have been bought over the last 30 odd years. They would have to go back, go through the records and find EVERY single ATV that has been bought, and have it destroyed.

If they ban ATV's then they have to ban dirtbikes, chainsaws, outboard boat engines, weed eaters, edgers, limb saws, lawn mowers, etc.

Just getting rid of ATV's isnt going to fix the problem. If they would quit launching rockets into space, and work on cleaning up the earth in general, we would notice more of a change than just by getting rid of ATV's.

kawiefan
02-06-2008, 01:54 PM
Just getting rid of ATV's isnt going to fix the problem. If they would quit launching rockets into space, and work on cleaning up the earth in general, we would notice more of a change than just by getting rid of ATV's. [/B][/QUOTE]

agreed