PDA

View Full Version : Malossi /weisco piston single ring or Stock Piston

quad1rider
02-05-2008, 08:45 AM
Ok next Question ???

I have been told time after time that a single ring piston is higher compression therefore better and a must have. I also was told to go to a wiesco single.. I know that you get less racing between a single and double ring but what's your take on the benefits... pro's / con's

1. Is there a difference! Will there be a difference between 1st and 3rd or 6th that I should choose 1 over the other?

2. I was told that ordering a piston for the exact to the 1000th is something most dont do but would increase the output ? A 50cc piston isn't just a stock part, is what I was told!!! anyone else know anything about this.

BILLY????CRS1?????

bulldogfallon
02-05-2008, 12:46 PM
The amount of rings doesn't indicate the compression ratio of the piston....The Malossi single ring is actuallly shorter from pin to top so you would lose compression. (at least this was the case on the last batch I ordered and sent back)

A single ring piston allows for less drag which would have been caused by the dual ring set up.

On a 50cc besides port work (don't by the right person) nothing that I know will make you jump multiple positions (if you are properly tuned in the CVT and Carb)

You can always run a dual ring piston with 1 ring installed

But all of the little things help out in the end

Seat time and training will do more than anything else. IMO

ecmini1
02-05-2008, 04:22 PM
A single ring piston is used on high rpm eng. due to eliminate the trapped gases between the rings. They will need more attention on compression because of not having the back up ring. There is no performance gain on a stock low reving eng. I would just use a 2 ring piston for longevity.

cheatermtrsprts
02-06-2008, 01:48 PM
Also keep in mind that all single ring piston rings are not for cast iron cylinders just because the bore is the same. Before buying a single ring piston, make sure it is for a cast cylinder not nikasil. The nikasil cylinder would take a chrome ring and is too hard to seal against a cast iron cylinder. :D

quad1rider
02-06-2008, 09:26 PM
wow now that is something nobody has ever even asked me when i get rings.... I do plan to keep to the double set up oem rings ... There isnt enough advantage to do the change..

I do know the every little issue adds up but it dont seem to make as much difference as would the rider in the end...

Thanks again marc , gary . cheat..ms