PDA

View Full Version : Studding tires?

kc 300EX
11-16-2002, 06:57 PM
This winter I plan on atleast riding on the ice, if possible maybe get into some ice races.
I have a set of Holeshot XCTs wich I currently dont use, so I plan on studding them. They dont have too much tread on them though, so I am worried if the studs will go all the way through. They are 6 ply and have never gotten a flat, so I dont know, I plan on adding slime to them to see if that will help, what do you think?
Also, how many and what kind of stus do I get?? Someone told me to save money and use sheet rock screws, what are your guys thoughts on this?

Also, for just riding and not racing, should I stud my front tires? or can I live without? I only have one set of front tires, wich I just bought, a set of Maxxis front Pros that I dont want to F* up, I was thinking maybe just a line of studs down the center knobs, is that a good idea or am I wasiting my time? If I race somewhere I will stud the whole tire, but I havent decided yet, any suggestions you have are appreciated, thanx

racin 400
11-16-2002, 07:53 PM
i wouldn't do it i would buy some 25$ ice tires and putting studs in them.

11-16-2002, 08:41 PM
well if u race i think there is a studded and nonstudded class. maybe u should try the non studded to see if u like it and then if u get serious get some ice tires

NTPRacing#19
11-17-2002, 02:28 PM
if you get sheetrock screw they will go right thro and screw up your tires. spend your money well and wise by doing it right and purchasing so ice racing screws

Live2Ride300
11-17-2002, 04:45 PM
It makes a huge different when you stud your front tires, if you dont your quad wont turn that good. Putting a line of studs down the center knobs works great, you dont really need to stud the whole front tire.

11-17-2002, 06:35 PM
to do it right you have to go all out and buying the studs that go all the way though the tire then use a nut on the back so it doesnt rip out. Then put as many of those bad boys in the ire as you can. I think with those they have rubber washers on the back to is doenst leak also. Then on the fronts all you need is some sheet rock screw that you just run like one or two rings around the center of the tire.
killer
I tried all sheet rock screws and almost all of them ripped out after 2 hours of rididng.

11-17-2002, 06:35 PM
the slime is a great idea, if it does go through then the tire just heals itself, and you can always judge if the studs are gonna go through , measure them and the tread on the tire and shorten them if you got to

Texan32
11-18-2002, 10:04 AM
i actually talked to a guy that ice races this past weekend. He said not to use the sheet metal or sheet rock screws. He showed me a set of race studs. The have a concave design that allows them to clean themselves out. He said the other screws will clog up real easy and you will loose traction. Also, the studs have really coarse threads which are supposed to prevent ripping out.

DESDAK4
11-18-2002, 12:32 PM
Texan, Have you heard anything about ice racing up there this year. I am can't wait to try it for the first time with studs. I am going to have the guys in bismarck get me going in the right direction. Anyway just checking and O yeah I get leave this rock on 2 Dec :D

Sparks425Ex
11-18-2002, 02:46 PM
I belive that Dennis Kirk Sells packs of some # of studs. I would just go and buy a few packs of those. They should work. and I wouldn;t stud your XCRs they are nice tires and you don;t wanna ruin them.

kc 300EX
11-18-2002, 05:28 PM
ok, well, looks like I am going to be racing this winter. We found a race February 15th on Lake George, sounds pretty nifty to me. There is also a few races on a lake Ive never heard of, lake Berne. 2 1/2 to 3 hours away, not too shabby if you ask me. All races are in January and February.
We are definetly studding our tires we just havent decided how yet. I am going to stud my XCT's because I have no other use for them. Does anyone know about how many studs I will/should use? Just so I have an estimate of how many I need to buy, its like 50 bucks for 1000, but Ive heard people use over 400 per tire, but Im not sure, anyone have a clue?

kc 300EX
11-19-2002, 02:13 PM
bump?

Well anyone interested in these races? I got dates and times and phone numbers of promoters if youd like

Texan32
11-19-2002, 03:26 PM
Jay, glad to hear you are soon on your way back home. I talked to the guys at cycle hutt and they said to keep an eye on their web page. www.cyclehutt.com The guy there told me they are looking for a new place to race this year. Last year, they were using a pond on some farmers land. He said it got too big and didn't have enough room to accomodate the crowd. As for me, i just today turned in a request to be get out of here early. It goes to AFPC for consideration. If it goes through, i will be on the road around christmas!!!!! Gotta run...duty calls...

kc 300EX
11-20-2002, 04:31 PM
I just read that on average rear tire will take about 200 studs, what do you think?? I think its going to end up being a lot more for 22" holeshot XCTs

Texan32
11-21-2002, 07:32 AM
Depends on what your studding. An actual ice tire, probably. A regular (holeshot, maxis, factory...) i HIGHLY doubt it. There is no way there are 200 tread lugs on a factory tire