PDA

View Full Version : 250r cylinder head stud problems

paul_700
02-04-2008, 08:19 PM
I have a 250r cylinder with one of the threads stripped out for the head studs. Has anyone ever had to use a helicoil repair on these threads. Is there enough clearance or am I going to wreck the cylinder in the process? Also will a helicoil kit give me the same size hole as stock or will it end up being a size bigger?

If there is a better remedy also please let me know.

02-05-2008, 01:24 AM
i can sell you a 250r head

86 Quad R
02-05-2008, 06:45 AM
i'd carry it to a local shop and get them to have a look see. if at all possible i'd try to fix it without using a helicoil. juss my opinion.

TRXRacer1
02-06-2008, 05:47 AM
Originally posted by paul_700
I have a 250r cylinder with one of the threads stripped out for the head studs. Has anyone ever had to use a helicoil repair on these threads. Is there enough clearance or am I going to wreck the cylinder in the process? Also will a helicoil kit give me the same size hole as stock or will it end up being a size bigger?

If there is a better remedy also please let me know. The helicoil will work just fine but if it was mine I'd take it down to my local machine shop and have them install some steel inserts. Also the correct helicoil will give you the stock thread size.

Teufel
02-08-2008, 07:46 PM
The heli coil is a great fix if it is done correct.... I have got a lot of mileage out of that fix

bustedknuckle
02-09-2008, 01:34 PM
We Had The Same Problem With Our Blaster.WE Had The Hole Welded Then Re Taped It.Heliecoil Worked To. Just Depends On Your Exrerience.

John451
02-09-2008, 02:00 PM
Well the best result would be buying a new one but the next best thing would be a used one. I don't think the heli coul would hold up for too long because it won't be anywhere as strong as the other holes so it might end up poppin it or stretchin it and it won't run right at all after that. Especially where it's going to be getting hot so it's more prone to stretching and breaking. You could get a descent one for around 100 on ebay.

TRXRacer1
02-09-2008, 02:12 PM
Don't know if you handled already or not but I just wanted to add that steel inserts are stronger then the stock threads.