PDA

View Full Version : Frame Repair?

Les Davis
02-04-2008, 07:44 PM
Hey Pappy great so see you this weekend. I checked on the site for the frame you had this weekend and it sold last night....snooze you loose!! Well onto plan B??? I've attached a couple pics of my frame and the problem spots we talked about. Let me know your thoughts if it can be repaired?

First one is on the left side upper frame tube just behind the upper motor mount. Paint just started chipping almost the entire diameter of the frame in this area. I don't notice any cracks but it looks like it's getting ready to go.

Les Davis
02-04-2008, 07:46 PM
Here's another picture of the same area...different angle.

Les Davis
02-04-2008, 07:48 PM
And here's the same area but on the kicker side. I did notice a small hairline crack in the frame in this area.

Pappy
02-04-2008, 07:53 PM
My dad is a Television repairman

He has an awesome set of tools

I can fix it
:cool:

Les Davis
02-04-2008, 07:56 PM
and one last area. This is the kicker side just below the swingarm pivot bolt. Paint keeps chipping away but no visible signs of cracks. Is this area prone to cracking? Do you think the large gusset that is located at the front motor mount/ nerf bar mount could possibly be causing the frame to torque??

Pappy
02-04-2008, 08:04 PM
near the pegs is a common area, its due to honda using metal paper thin welded to the peg-mount bung. your pegs flex down when you land hard and it continually flexes the frame in that area. i can fix it:cool:

Les Davis
02-04-2008, 08:11 PM
That's great news Pap!! If I can't find a frame in the next few days what should I do next as part of "plan b"? Tear bike down to the frame or can you repair without a teardown? Almost sounds like a complete teardown and new powdercoat might be in order?

Pappy
02-04-2008, 08:16 PM
it really needs to come apart, i bet i can find 5 or 6 more cracks easily :p

check with gbcap (he is in westminster and thats his name on the site, he may have a frame left)

Les Davis
02-04-2008, 08:21 PM
sounds good Pappy. That damn Harry homeowner gusset at the lower motor mount was driving me nuts anyways. I've hated that thing since day one:grr: :mad: Give me a little time and I'll get a frame up to you for some magic. Thanks for the heads up on GBCAP. Talk to you soon:blah: