View Full Version : Outlaw Skids and armor? Anyone using PRM?

willb
02-04-2008, 07:11 PM
The ongoing build continues.....during winter. So I figured that I would share some insight.

Plus this board has been slow lately:

First off does anyone here use the PRM rear skid or a arm guards?

Got the PRM belly skid installed. Went with the .125 per the rep. It is still pretty solid and seems thicker than other .125 products. To do it over, I would probably get the .160.

Install
While using the AC front bumper, I cut off the front kick up lip back to the front a-arm bolts as the AC Front bumper extends below that and back. Other then that the install went well. I am not overly fond of using hose clamps to hold the front portion of the skid on.
But the AC bumper sandwiches that to the frame real well.
* You cant use the 3rd mounting position hose clamp with the AC Pro Peg setup without removing the cross support. I didnt see a need for that clamp, so I opted to leave it alone?

The AC Pro Pegs
As many of seen the AC Pro Pegs and bumper are on. Not to bad of a install. I advise using ratchet straps to hold the pegs tight to the frame. Also a set of good drill bits would save some effort. I broke by good bits and had to use crap ones. AC could come pre drilled and I dont know why they didn't. I would give it a 4 out 5 because of that.

PRM Rear skid. I can't get this thing mounted. Holes do not match and it looks like it will bind the chain off the rear support. I called them and they are going to look at and get back to me tommorrow that is why I am asking you guys???

Have any of you used there a-arm guards? We ride some knarly gncc style terrain as our normal trek.

Evasiveone
02-04-2008, 07:32 PM
Throw up a pic of the AC bumper on the front. I noticed you sold your Rath bumper on ebay, didn't like it?

Also take lots of pictures of your AC nerfs while they are black, because they will not be that way for long. Every set of black AC nerfs I have seen the powdercoating is flaking on. Mine started flaking off within the first month. :grr:

willb
02-04-2008, 07:49 PM
Hey Evasive,

Wasn't me on the rath> I looked at it. I will get a side shot of the AC bumper for ya. Sticks out perfectly for me, not to big and has a spot for mounting up the race number.

I hear ya on the blackline. Doesn't feel more like undercoating paint than powdercoat?

Here are some pics: Last one posted by my bud erac

http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&postid=3121282#post3121282

FReEK
02-04-2008, 09:44 PM
Hey willb,
Nice looking Outlaw.

So how do you like the alba antivibe and protaper Bars? I think that is the setup im looking at getting for my 450.

LT250_JOE
02-05-2008, 06:34 AM
COULD YOU POST A PIC OF THE REAR A-ARM GUARDS. I BOUGHT THE POLARIS GUARDS FOR THE 500 OUTLAW(ONLY 14.00 EACH)

OutlawBill
02-05-2008, 08:23 AM
I sold the RatH Bumper, I went with PRM desert front bumper and rear grab bar. I have .190 belly and rear A-arm skids. I have had to cut on both to get them to work with aftermarket stuff. The rear skids I cut off some of the outer end because they cut in to my Hiper dual bead locks, and I had too narrow the front of the belly skid for the Rath A-arms.

willb
02-05-2008, 06:59 PM
LT Joe: I dont have the arm guards. I was asking who has them and likes them.

Also I was asking about the rear skid because it is not mounting up. 14.00 per guard is cheap. Are those aluminum and what and where is your dealer cause I will be calling for some.

Freek: The Alba bar kit is nice. The mount and rubber grommets are machined nicely.

I went and got shorter screws to make it look nice. The kit uses stock mounting screws thru the mount into the stem which are a 1/2 inch too long. 2 bucks for 4 stainless looks alot better to me.

Make sure that you get the ATV bend as the cr high does not have enough room for the brake throttle, and grip.

I am 6'2" and this setup brings the bars to a much better feel.

LT250_JOE
02-06-2008, 06:51 AM
East Coast Powersports. 6098833169 Plastic factory a-arm guards off the 500 outlaw. They are webbed guards- exact pattern as your rear a-arms and use the holes already threaded into them. I bought 2 sets because of price and if one breaks I have a backup hanging on my wall. Their price on the screws is ridiculous, I just went to the hardware store and paid a few pennies each. If I have time tonight I'll post a pic of one.

suprdavtn
02-06-2008, 05:13 PM
I love the prm product i got the190 stuff because i ride in alot of rocks. these were the easiest ever to install(had dealer install all, read profile, as part of the deal. they sure do look good on there compared to the oem stuff.

LT250_JOE
02-06-2008, 05:37 PM
OOPS THE GUARDS ARE 17.54 EACH. POLARIS P/N 5436523-070 AND 5436522-070. THEY ARE LIGHT AS A FEATHER, AND DONT GIVE UP ANY GROUND CLEARANCE (MAYBE A 1/8 INCH)

willb
02-06-2008, 06:41 PM
Thanks LT, I was just looking for something to keep from dinging them all up. Let me know how it goes on the mount up.

Thanks for the info.

Hey supr, that doesnt help much but thanks. Still looking for anyone that installed a rear skid.

LT250_JOE
02-07-2008, 07:40 AM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by willb
[B]Thanks LT, I was just looking for something to keep from dinging them all up. Let me know how it goes on the mount up.

I've had them on for a while. Survived a weekend at Hatfield/McCoy and Paragon ATV park(a boulder fest). I'll try and take a shot of them on my quad this weekend.

I'm in not saying these are the best, but showing a good option in my opinion.