PDA

View Full Version : trx400ex vs kfx400

atv_man2007
02-04-2008, 06:51 PM
i own a 2004 trx400ex stock gear with the factory gearing k&n air filter, hmf pipe, jet kit ,and revbox +1,000 rpm im running 20's on the rear my buddy just bought a bone stock 2005 kfx400 that he says can smoke my 400 all i know is that im a 190lb rider and when im half way through 3rd i can stomp on it and pack the tires into 4th no forth gear wheelies here dont want to die yet .and and hes a 175lb rider .if his is faster is it top end or take off i also have a16t front gear on the way but dont know if i want to install it yet.

trx400EXtreme
02-04-2008, 07:13 PM
o boy... another one of those "my buddy says he's faster than me threads":rolleyes: .but anyway, the kfx400,z400, and dvx400 (all being pretty much the same other than plastics), will be faster top end wise than a 400ex stock for stock. my cousin has a Z and we both had pipes and filters with stock everything else. i had him my about half a length all the way through 3rd, but when he hit forth he pulled away and we would finish with my front tires a couple feet behind his rear tires. considering you have a CDI, and he is completely stock, you will probably be able to beat him.

atv_man2007
02-04-2008, 09:56 PM
whats makes the kfx better on the top end is it the gearing .or just the hp it puts out.im kinda new when it comes to mods .so im trying to learn what i need to do to make mine a little faster i thought about a cam but dont know if the gain would be worth doing unless i decided to bore it out a little.

my88r
02-04-2008, 10:43 PM
it would take the airbox lid off and rejet.

either remove the choke or put a 450r carb on

just some ideas:)

casey_lamm
02-05-2008, 06:36 AM
cam is 100% worth doing even if you use stock bore!

if you did a cam (hotcam stg 1 for low end stg 2 for mid) and a 11:1 piston You would be pleasently surprised. I know I was!

Plus bang for the buck its a great mod :)
Originally posted by atv_man2007
whats makes the kfx better on the top end is it the gearing .or just the hp it puts out.im kinda new when it comes to mods .so im trying to learn what i need to do to make mine a little faster i thought about a cam but dont know if the gain would be worth doing unless i decided to bore it out a little.

klutch
02-05-2008, 07:35 AM
I don't understand what the point is in trying to make your bike faster just to drag race a friend. If you want to drag race go buy a Banshee.... In the trails, or on most any other style of riding it all depends on the rider.

atv_man2007
02-05-2008, 12:06 PM
its an easy way to see what kind of gain ill be getting from each mod i do .and i know that when he starts the mods with his he will be faster than mine so i can mod somemore so it will be fun to see what happens to our atv's by the end of summer .hopefully not a bad crash lol

trx400EXtreme
02-05-2008, 01:53 PM
Originally posted by atv_man2007
whats makes the kfx better on the top end is it the gearing .or just the hp it puts out.im kinda new when it comes to mods .so im trying to learn what i need to do to make mine a little faster i thought about a cam but dont know if the gain would be worth doing unless i decided to bore it out a little. i'd say what makes it faster is the fact that it has a higher compresssion stock, it's liquid cooled... really it's just a stronger motor, but not NEAR as reliable as the 400ex motor IMO.