PDA

View Full Version : top mount(head stay?)

trx250r 88
02-04-2008, 04:19 PM
i did a search,i didn't find much.

i have a 86 250r,the top motor mount is not installed.is it ok to run it like that trail riding.the guy i brought the atv from said it was ok,none of his 250r's were using them.i just wanted to see what you guys think. thanks

86 Quad R
02-04-2008, 04:32 PM
you'll get mixed opinions on this.

with the horse power of todays engines and the new technology of the aftermarket suspensions and as harsh as they are being ridden i say its best to leave it out due to the fact that if in the event some of the other engine mounts were to get loose it would put a tremendous amount of stress on the cylinder assembly itself.

others will say that it helps strengthen the frame in that area and so forth.

for a recreation rider i think it would be ok but, if its going to be seriously raced then i say leave it out. provided that all other engine mounts are being used.

Rip_Tear
02-04-2008, 04:59 PM
Put one in there...

They guy I bought mine off said he was told not to put one in there, besides it didn't fit after it got stroked. But he wrecked one of the front motor mounts running like that, and a lower motor mount! So he replaced the front one but didn't know about the lower. Now I do, and when I got it I modded a head stay in because I was worried about it wrecking again... They guy who had it before only trail rode, but it is a 265 with pipe etc...

deathman53
02-04-2008, 05:26 PM
many put it in, but don't put a bolt in the cylinder head to hold it to the stay. The head stay is important for the frame, many frames have cracked, I cracked 2 atc250r frames from not using it, right on the mounts where the head stay mounts. I've been told it provides strength to the trx frame. Honda put it there for a reason, use it.

honda380
02-04-2008, 05:56 PM
i agree with deathman. i have one on my R, but i dont put a bolt through the head. i just use it to keep the frame ridged. i also figure it is there so why not use it. im just scared the other mounts may loosen up and pull on the cylinder, thats why i dont put the bolt through the head. Corey

trx250r 88
02-04-2008, 06:04 PM
thanks for the replies.is the mounting the same on 86-89 250r's?are all the headstays the same?i think i might use it just to strenghten the frame,but not as a motor mount.

86 Quad R
02-05-2008, 06:19 AM
Originally posted by deathman53
many put it in, but don't put a bolt in the cylinder head to hold it to the stay. The head stay is important for the frame

good point deathman. i kinda forgot to mention running it without the head bolt. :rolleyes:

DareDevilQracer
02-05-2008, 08:19 AM
I ride MX and havn't ever run a headstay on my 310R. Both front motor mounts broke but after investigating I found the lower mount under the motor had come loose and put more stress on the front mounts. I welded up the broke mounts and tightened all the bolts and havnt had any problems yet, even dropping my quad from 30ft in the air on some tracks. Just keep an eye on the other mount bolts and make sure they stay tight.

mineralgrey01gt
02-05-2008, 10:23 AM
well while we are on the discussion of this. I have an 88/89 style swingarm on my 86. I have an aftermarket headstay on mine (way thicker than the stock one) and I have it bolted down since I cant use my rear mount. Is that a good idea? Id hate to break the head mount or anything like that but I figured id need all the mounts I can get since my rear one isnt available

86 Quad R
02-05-2008, 12:03 PM
if i remember correctly, i answered this very same question for you when you first started aquiring parts for the build and the answer is the same. if you wish to run that particular swinger you need to get that rear mount fabbed up or your asking for trouble. whether it be the one at the swinger(86-87 setup), the upper rear(the 88-89 frame type) or the rear lower(fabbed in at the shock linkage tabs).

you'll find that eventually the engine will start to rip itself from the frame, taking all the mounts with it and even cracking up the lower cradle rails.

since your engine is down, this will be a perfect time to address it.

:blah:

mineralgrey01gt
02-05-2008, 12:30 PM
i remember that but i hate to weld on a really good condition 86 frame. I may just pick up an 88/89 frame and go with it from there.

86 Quad R
02-05-2008, 12:32 PM
it's either weld it now or weld it later. :confused:

deathman53
02-05-2008, 01:06 PM
welding those tabs in, shouldn't be a big deal. If you do it later, you will probably have to do more welding to the frame and more cracks.

mineralgrey01gt
02-05-2008, 01:14 PM
i know its really not a big deal to do it, its just getting harder and harder to find 86 frames in this good of shape. Thats why im considering just getting an 88/89 frame.

86 Quad R
02-05-2008, 01:27 PM
look at it this way....... this is a perfectly good frame your dealing with and if your wanting to run the present swingarm setup you'll need to weld it and if you continue to run it as is, it'll eventually crack all up leaving you to weld it later. welding it by no means is going to ruin it.

you can either run a swinger that allows for rear mounts or weld mounts in this frame to continue running the swinger you have.

its kinda redundant to buy another frame just to run a particular swinger. besides 88-89's are even harder to find than the 86's.

mineralgrey01gt
02-05-2008, 02:08 PM
you do have a point. I could just swap the swinger but i really dont feel like searching for an 86/87 style. Does anyone know the measurements for the rear mount on an 88-89?

86 Quad R
02-05-2008, 02:33 PM
if you intend on fabbing up a rear mount, whether it be the upper or the lower. knowing what the measurements are on someone elses quad isnt going to do you any good.

this is one of those deals where it'll be a "field" fit. meaning each application is unique.

the measurements of the placement of mine may not work for you. taking in account of different swinger, shock( and length) and how age and wear as play a role on your frame over the years.

see what i mean?

for this to be done. its gonna have to be a fly by the seat of the pants when fabbing.

mineralgrey01gt
02-05-2008, 04:08 PM
oh ok, i see what you mean. Well Ill pick up some square tubing and mark it up and see what I can come up with. It looks like ill go ahead and tear the bike down and send the frame out for powdercoating while im at it also

450racers.com
02-06-2008, 09:50 AM
I never ran it on any of my stock or after market chassis...