PDA

View Full Version : Transfering motor ID number

All250R
02-04-2008, 02:48 PM
Have any of you guys transfered the little ID tag to a new left engine case? Can you drill out and use simple rivets?
Thank guys!

Slinky
02-05-2008, 06:49 AM
ummm why would you do that? your not supposed to re-id a motor. unless you scratched off the old numbers for some reason? anyone missing an R motor?

86 Quad R
02-05-2008, 07:27 AM
Originally posted by Slinky
ummm why would you do that? your not supposed to re-id a motor. unless you scratched off the old numbers for some reason? anyone missing an R motor?

brb! i'm checking my shop. :D

All250R
02-11-2008, 04:02 PM
Originally posted by Slinky
Because the left case half is blown apart and I would like to be able to transfer the ID to the new half. lol

Actually I stole a motor off an exriders member and I want to transfer the original case half's ID tag to it. :macho

Slinky
02-11-2008, 05:02 PM
Originally posted by All250R
Because the left case half is blown apart and I would like to be able to transfer the ID to the new half. lol

Actually I stole a motor off an exriders member and I want to transfer the original case half's ID tag to it. :macho

your really not supposed to transfer ID numbers. They are put there for a reason on that piece...now what i'd do is just take the trashed case half and put it aside...when you sell the bike, if someone wants to know that you have the original motor, show them that you still have the case half and that you replaced it with the new one due to the damage.

250Renvy
02-11-2008, 05:32 PM

Were they new case halfs from honda or just a different motor? If the case halfs were new, did they come with id tags?

Rich250RRacer
02-11-2008, 06:42 PM
Originally posted by 250Renvy
Were they new case halfs from honda or just a different motor? If the case halfs were new, did they come with id tags?

New cases come with no tag at all, just open holes where the tag will go.

Slinky, there is nothing wrong with what he wants to do. First of all, because of what I stated above, there is no tag on a new case half, so there is nothing illegal in doing what he wants to do. Second, the engine ID number is not listed on any title, at least not in my state, only on the Certificate of Origin. If you want to get REALLY technical about it, he's more legal transferring the ID tag, that way he has a motor that matches his VIN, not a motor without an ID. Just curious, how may 250R's do you think are out there that actually have the original ID tag on the motor that corresponds with the frame? I know all four of mine don't.

Slinky
02-11-2008, 08:51 PM
Originally posted by Rich250RRacer
New cases come with no tag at all, just open holes where the tag will go.

Slinky, there is nothing wrong with what he wants to do. First of all, because of what I stated above, there is no tag on a new case half, so there is nothing illegal in doing what he wants to do. Second, the engine ID number is not listed on any title, at least not in my state, only on the Certificate of Origin. If you want to get REALLY technical about it, he's more legal transferring the ID tag, that way he has a motor that matches his VIN, not a motor without an ID. Just curious, how may 250R's do you think are out there that actually have the original ID tag on the motor that corresponds with the frame? I know all four of mine don't.

this makes sense, but i guess where i was coming from was more of the automotive line... but there the # is actually stamped on the engine block, not riveted on.

honda380
02-11-2008, 09:40 PM
[Just curious, how may 250R's do you think are out there that actually have the original ID tag on the motor that corresponds with the frame? [/B]

Mine does!!! i have a title with an ID card that has my frame and motor numbers. both match, now im just between turning it back to stock as a "reverse" project or selling it and getting a dreaded four stroke...

All250R
02-11-2008, 11:30 PM
Originally posted by honda380
Mine does!!! i have a title with an ID card that has my frame and motor numbers. both match, now im just between turning it back to stock as a "reverse" project or selling it and getting a dreaded four stroke...
All of mine do too and I plan to keep it that way because California titles actually have the motor number on the title (it's California remember...).

I need to transfer the number. I appreciate your concern but I don't care if thinking inside the box seems to indicate that the original case half is supposed to carry the ID. The case half is just a piece of aluminum that holds the other half of the motor together and the original one is shot. So the ID tag (which is not stamped into the block) is going to get transfered to the replacement aluminum.

I'll see if regular rivets will seem to work...

my88r
02-12-2008, 12:25 AM
, how may 250R's do you think are out there that actually have the original ID tag on the motor that corresponds with the frame? I know all four of mine don't.

not very many.

All250R
02-12-2008, 11:07 AM
Originally posted by my88r
not very many.
All the residents of California are <i>supposed</i> to have matching engine ID's for off road vehicles, which are titled just like cars here. If the DMV here somehow audited the title, I suppose there could be a problem, but it probably happens rarely. Sounds like MI might be the same way... it's the larger states that usually have more rules and ways to fine people. CA and MI contain a lot of registered vehicles... who knows(?)

my88r
02-12-2008, 11:49 AM
All the residents of California are <i>supposed</i> to have matching engine ID's for off road vehicles, which are titled just like cars here. If the DMV here somehow audited the title, I suppose there could be a problem, but it probably happens rarely. Sounds like MI might be the same way... it's the larger states that usually have more rules and ways to fine people. CA and MI contain a lot of registered vehicles... who knows(?)

yep, i live in ny and don't need to have it. i did half to go through the motions of getting registered.so i could get a plate.:mad:

banshee84
02-15-2008, 05:27 PM
Man I live in Ca also, and I was looking to buy my uncle's 250r. The only problem is it isn't registered and the id # broke off the motor. He has the Pink slip signed over to him so he took it to the CHP to have it signed off. The guy he delt with said he has to order a new case half and bring the whole motor unassembled to show them. Then they will issue him a new #. He thought the guy was just being a dick but IDK. Let me know what you do or figure out