PDA

View Full Version : Best Mini for Trails

realchosen1
02-04-2008, 09:18 AM
Looking to move my 8 year old up from a 50 to an 80 or 90..
Was wondering what everyone thought.
We ride mostly trails as we live close to croom in Florida.
Thoughs on new raptor 80, Extreme 90 or Honda TRX
not looking to race, however he could down the road.
little guy only ways 60lbs soaking wet.
Needs to be reliable as I am not a mechanic...
thanks

ecmini1
02-04-2008, 09:21 AM
Go with the DRR its reliable, safe and is easy to turn it into a racer in the future. Best bang for the money.

etondaddy
02-04-2008, 09:47 AM
I agree with the DRR ............. If you can get them with an air box and not an open air filter and if you decide to race you’re in. We've always had good luck with the Kawasaki. The best part of trail riding is the mud puddles even for big guys lol. We race the E-Ton and trail ride with the Kawasaki but it's a 05' 2 stroke not sure how the 4 stroke's are.

Mike Kozura

http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g278/etondaddy/Kyles_80003.jpg

STOCKRACING917
02-04-2008, 09:53 AM
We have a raptor that our son uses for trail riding and he loves it.
It handles well for him in the woods as well. We have never had any trouble with it. He likes the way it looks too.We had an eton before that and it was a good machine but the raptor seems easier for him to handle on the rougher terrain. If you think there's a chance you could become as addicted to racing as the rest of us here, you might want to listen to ecmini and get something you can modify . Whatever the choice, have fun!!

mxdad
02-04-2008, 11:06 AM
The Honda TRX will be the best TRAIL quad with the least maintenance by far!!! The DRX is a super machine but it is a 2 stroke that will need maintenance more than the TRX if you are riding mud, water, trails, etc... You may also want to consider the Yamaha Grizzly 125 which is what my less than 60 lb rider uses for trails. It is a 4 stroke so you just gas & go and it has a nice intake system that can handle mud, water, etc... It also has REVERSE which is huge for trails. It will save you from having to get off and pull him out a million times.

musky
02-04-2008, 11:40 AM
The Can Am DS90X would also be a choice for trail riding, 4 stroke, reverse, long travel suspension, nerfs & kenda tires stock. My son has one & it seems to really well on trails. We are planning on running some hare scrambles when the aftermarket parts are finished.

RTJ
02-04-2008, 10:48 PM
I 100% agree with musky. but what ever you decide STAY AWAY from the XTREME they are trouble looking for a place to happen

mxdad
02-05-2008, 03:05 AM
Originally posted by musky
The Can Am DS90X would also be a choice for trail riding, 4 stroke, reverse, long travel suspension, nerfs & kenda tires stock. My son has one & it seems to really well on trails. We are planning on running some hare scrambles when the aftermarket parts are finished.

Nice looking quad!!! I would still think the Honda TRX90 would be the most reliable though and it is $500 less than the Can-Am.

Actually I'd be suprised to hear anyone on hear say that any stock 90 would be more reliable than the TRX. Remember, this guy says he is "not a mechanic". I know there are faster, cheaper to mod for racing quads out there but for reliability the Honda is definitely the way to go.

realchosen1
02-05-2008, 06:20 AM
thanks for everyones imput... My mechanical skills are that of writing a check...think I am going to go Honda or Yamaha...

musky
02-05-2008, 06:36 AM
There is no doubt mxdad that the hondas are proven to be reliable but comparing a trx 90 & ds90x in stock form is like apples & oranges to me. There is no question that all of us are guilty of pushing what we own. Having said that the Can Am also has reverse, stock double a arms, 7" front & 9" of rear travel, hydraulic front & rear disk brakes. I believe stock the trx has 2.6" of travel both front & rear. The trx also has drum front & rear brakes. If you are riding in alot of water & mud drum brakes can be a real pain. Like I said the trx is really reliable but BRP also has alot technology resources & I dont believe they would advertise a product so heavily if was not reliable. As for as realchosen1 not being a mechanic , I think that is something that you evolve into if your kids ride very much. I know that mine can tear the horn off a anvil. If you dont learn it can be very costly. But like I said we all push what we own. In my opinion the $500 more is money well spent.

mxdad
02-05-2008, 08:17 AM
Originally posted by musky
There is no doubt mxdad that the hondas are proven to be reliable but comparing a trx 90 & ds90x in stock form is like apples & oranges to me. There is no question that all of us are guilty of pushing what we own. Having said that the Can Am also has reverse, stock double a arms, 7" front & 9" of rear travel, hydraulic front & rear disk brakes. I believe stock the trx has 2.6" of travel both front & rear. The trx also has drum front & rear brakes. If you are riding in alot of water & mud drum brakes can be a real pain. Like I said the trx is really reliable but BRP also has alot technology resources & I dont believe they would advertise a product so heavily if was not reliable. As for as realchosen1 not being a mechanic , I think that is something that you evolve into if your kids ride very much. I know that mine can tear the horn off a anvil. If you dont learn it can be very costly. But like I said we all push what we own. In my opinion the $500 more is money well spent.

FOR THE RECORD, I DO NOT OWN A HONDA. My son has had 3 DRR/DRX's, a Pred 90 and now he rides a Yamaha Grizzly 125 which we are very pleased with as well. I also agree the Can-Am is very nice but it is also very new which means it will have bugs that need to be worked out. Sounds like he is making a smart decision by sticking with Honda or Yamaha to me.

realchosen1 take your son to the dealer and let him sit on some of these quads to see if he is comfortable. Like I mentioned my son is 58 lbs and about 4'4" tall and he fits fine on the Grizzly 125. Good luck and be safe!!!

realchosen1
02-05-2008, 08:22 AM
how did the predator 90 treat you Was also thinking maybe an MXR90

etondaddy
02-05-2008, 08:57 AM
Well if you go with a used 06' and up Honda 90 the only things we'll be using off this 08' is the motor, frame, and plastics there a lot of stock parts out there. :D :D

Mik Kozura

http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g278/etondaddy/100_0073.jpg

http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g278/etondaddy/100_0074.jpg

mxdad
02-05-2008, 09:27 AM
Originally posted by realchosen1
how did the predator 90 treat you Was also thinking maybe an MXR90

We had an 04 so it was a 2 stroke. It was a nice machine but it did not like the water too much. I haven't heard much about the newer ones???

wvspeedfreak
02-05-2008, 06:40 PM
I have to agree with Adam.If I wanted a bulletproof trail quad it would be a trx90 for sure.