PDA

View Full Version : Piston seize/jetting/oil injec. problem

leasureryan
02-03-2008, 09:10 PM
okay....got a problem now. As I was messing with the jetts....I was told to jump like 3-4 sizes in main jett. It had a 230 in it from stock setting. I put the reeds and reed spacer in, removed the air box lid, new Uni 2 stage filter, junk DG pipe, with stock silencer.

NOW....boysen reeds say in the directions that these reeds will make it run lean on pilot, rich on main. They suggest going DOWN 1 size main, and up 1 size in pilot. Local honda store gave me the wrong pilot, so I left the pilot stock at what I belive is 32.5. Will be getting a bigger one tomarrow. I also got jetts from 240-280. Since Boysen said to go down 1 main jett size, I figured I would only have to go up a couple instead of 4. So I went from 230 main BEFORE the parts....to a 250 main after. I took it for a spin, and was going to chop the plug to see if it was lean or rich. Still acted like it wanted more fuel from the main, cutting out at full throtle. So I bumped up to the 280...which is 5 sizes bigger than stock. When I took it for a spin again....seemed like it was running great, getting plenty of fule, but then the piston seized in the sleeve for a split second, locking up the rear wheels and killing the engine. I pulled the clutch in, and rolled, poped the clutch out slowly, and it acted like it never seized up, just fired right back up. I just shut it off, and pushed it home. The piston is not seized in the sleeve, and turns over very very easy. The guy who owned the Blaster before me said he owned it the whole time, and I don't think the top end has ever been rebuilt. Maybe once. It still has stock piston and everthing. Question is...what should I do. I don't really want to bore it out. Just want good crisp compression. Also, what size jett should I use? Should I go more than 5 sizes (280) up? Should I just put new rings in it and see how it reacts? I just don't want to put a new stock size piston and rings in it is it is going to need honed or bored .25 over. Then I will have to buy 2 piston and rings. I might just try the rings first. Let me know what you think????????

Oh yeah....I also accidenlty pulled the oil injection line off while re jetting. I put it back on before I took it for a test spin, but the fuel in the carb just did't feel, look, smell like it had any oil mix in it. I went ahead and removed the plastic gear, oil lines, and oil tank from the Blaster, and am just going to mix my own fuel. I think this may also have contributed to the piston seizing. Also didn't notice as much smoke from the exhuast as I useualy do.

Modifly
02-04-2008, 02:19 PM
When re jetting your block, start higher and work you way down until it feels good and running well with plug colour ect.

chuck you oil sump, make sure to get a block off kit! instructions come with it, pre mix your fuel starting at 30:1 then go to 33:1 then possibly 35:1 (i run mine at 40:1 which is on the limit buh i rebuild after every ride)

boysen reeds only go off what there reeds do to a stock engine, youve got other mods so disgard what they said. its bull anyway.

clean up the top end, check the piston over and make sure the bearing is greased up properly, check the sleve for scores, fresh rings and gaskets, new plug and check the head nuts and pot nuts. clean up your filter and boot.

its crutial to get it rite the first time or youll be rebuilding more than riding.

personally start with a 310 and work down, youve got your lid ovv with a filter.. so your getting a fair bit thru.. just remember to keep it all clean when messing with jets and dont loose any parts ect haha.. been there done that..

ehhh if you want some info on rebuilding the motor if you havent done it its preety simple, how old isit? if you have a clymr manual you will get it done in no time. go for a new piston if your still running stock, wiseco is my personal recommendation. wouldnt use anything else, that will give you a fresh engine that is crisp with lots ov compression.

anythin else just ask.

leasureryan
02-04-2008, 06:01 PM
okay...I have a problem with the block off kit. I made a thread, but nobody replied....here is what it said

OK....I took everything off including the oil pump, took the case cover off, remover e clips on pump shaft, that holds the plastic gear on, removed the second e clip that holds the pump shaft in, the pump shaft came out of the holrer/sleeve that it runs through, the sleeve that holds it in place if you will. This is somehow supposed to also come off so that the plate from vito's can be installed over the hole where the oil pump used to be. But the sleeve thing will not come out! There is a rubber seal inside the case that also seems to not come out, after much poking and proding. There is no way the the Vito's block off plate will screw over top of this. The screws would have to be 1 1/2" long, and there would be no use for this gasket they sent me. I called Vito's, and they told me they have never heard anyone have this problem. He said the sleeve thing that holds the pump shaft must be pressed in. I beat the hell out of that thing, and it ain't budging! Not to mention that the direction's vito's gave me where PERFECT, except for this shaft, which the instructions no where mentions this shaft sleeve thing at all. Like it didn't even exist. What the hell. Someone please help me out here.

leasureryan
02-07-2008, 03:15 PM
???ANYONE???

Modifly
02-11-2008, 03:11 PM
i have a confession to make.. i didnt do mine on the blaster.. the guy in the shop did it before i had it so i never really learnt how to do it.

il try and find out for you.

Modifly
02-17-2008, 05:48 AM
Sorry, nothing. (ive asked alot of people that have race blasters and engine builders and none have heard ov this problem) im stumped. i think youd be better off giving it to a qualified mechanic to figure out. :)

leasureryan
02-17-2008, 11:10 AM
naaaa.....I got it. The sleeve thing was pressed into the case. Just needed to be pressed out. I got my Clymers manual in the mail, and read it, figured it out, and the oil injection blockoff is complete. Thanks for helping though.

Cyclinder has ben bored, and fitted with a new piston....Wiseco!!!!
Just for you Modifly...lol

So....how much more do you think I will have to jet after boring. I think they went from 66mm (stock bore) to 66.5mm...or .25-.50 over. Not sure yet, still haven't got it back. Should be here tomarrow. Stock jet was the 230......It now has a 310 main jet to start off with after all the upgrades and bored. Do you think my main needs to be even larger than that? I don't think it will....seemed to be running perfect just before it seized, and that was with the 280 jet. I think it seized due to air in the oil injection line that fits to the carb. I accidently pulled to hard on it when rejetting, and it sliped off. I didn't bleed the line like a retard. I'm almost positive this is what did it. I think back to when it happened......and I don't remember seeing any smoke from the exhaust like normal. Useualy smokes pretty good.....on this day, I can't recall seeing any. Stupid me, but live and learn.

Any help would be greatly appreciated