PDA

View Full Version : 450xc or 525xc? for me!

offropro12
02-03-2008, 06:05 PM
Im not sure which one will be better form me, what do you guys think?

I'm moving on from a 400ex and need more power. Im about 150 lbs.

I ride a little bit of everything.... dunes, trails, track etc......

But I mostly ride trails....... Im planning on starting to compete on something similar to Baja races but shorter, in mexico....

I feel that I want the 450 xc, but I'm afraid that I will want more power, but I have also heard thets its just the higher revs in the 450 that make the difference...

what do you guys think?

yfzrider310
02-04-2008, 07:37 PM
525 for the dunes and 450 for the trails and track. My friend said that his 525 has to much power for the woods. Its all what you most like to do. If you like trails and track more then get the 450. But make sure you know what you like best before you buy a 9000$ machine.

04TRX400EX
02-04-2008, 10:49 PM
I am in the same situation. I am still strongly considering a KTM as my next quad. I also ride a little bit of everything from MX tracks to XC courses but mostly desert trails. From what I hear, the 525 almost has too much "kick" for the trails. The 450 is apparently easier to ride fast and more controllable. If you are looking into racing, make sure the classes are designated by age and/or experience and not by engine size because anything bigger than a 450cc usually gets bumped into the "Open" class where you'll be racing some outrageously modified quads and your 525 might not even be enough.

If I end up getting a KTM, I'm going to go with the 450XC.

LT250_JOE
02-05-2008, 05:55 PM
Originally posted by 04TRX400EX
[
If I end up getting a KTM, I'm going to go with the 450XC. [/B]

I would think long and hard b4 making that decision! If you get the 450 you'll probably/eventually say to yourself: I'm going get a K&N air filter, I'm going to get a full any company exhaust....etc...etc... Well then you're looking for more power and that is where the 525 is at stock. But I'm just speculating.

The 525 is an unbelievable trail engine. Tons of torque and if you dont want all the "kick" it provides, just short shift.

Just my $.02

Chillinthemost
02-05-2008, 06:17 PM
More is always better in my world. No doubt which one I would get.

yfzrider310
02-05-2008, 07:19 PM
same here but if your in the woods there can be "to much power" A term i dont like but its true

04TRX400EX
02-06-2008, 05:45 PM
Originally posted by LT250_JOE
I would think long and hard b4 making that decision! If you get the 450 you'll probably/eventually say to yourself: I'm going get a K&N air filter, I'm going to get a full any company exhaust....etc...etc... Well then you're looking for more power and that is where the 525 is at stock. But I'm just speculating.

The 525 is an unbelievable trail engine. Tons of torque and if you dont want all the "kick" it provides, just short shift.

Just my $.02

Interesting you say that because I already know that even if I get the 525 I will still want to add a filter and a pipe at a minimum just to see what it can do. I am strictly going off of what I hear others say. I have zero experience with KTM products but love the looks, design, and performance (engine & suspension) of their new quads right off the showroom floor.

I guess my decision wasn't so easy after all :confused: I need to convince my local KTM dealer to let me ride both of them so I can decide for myself.

offropro12
02-07-2008, 12:39 AM
Im in the same situation, Im still not sure which one to get. I will also get the k&n still and the pipe with the 525..... im not sure.........

is there someone in here that has ridden both quads?

what is the real difference?

spanky101
02-07-2008, 01:39 PM
alot of it has to do with racing between 525 and 450. I personally will run a 450 if i do run a ktm due to that i race mx and most classes havea 450cc limit. I know a 525 would run great, but against those unlimited class bikes it will look like extremely outta place.