PDA

View Full Version : What Do You Think?

pods_BMOC
02-03-2008, 01:24 PM
Does anyone else think the plastic looks ugly on this machine?

TRXRacer1
02-03-2008, 04:30 PM
Originally posted by pods_BMOC
Does anyone else think the plastic looks ugly on this machine? You know the other 2 threads in this forum, that you posted in, are also "what do you think" threads..........

yfzrider310
02-03-2008, 08:39 PM
haha yea but what else is there to talk about!

pods_BMOC
02-04-2008, 11:59 AM
Yes i know, i wanted to hear other peoples opinions

02-04-2008, 02:53 PM
Everyones 1st reaction was shock and "what was Honda thinking?" But after seeing more views and angles its not bad at all. Sure there is some fine tuning which I deffinately think it needs appearance wise but its not really that bad. The plastic is very similar to the 04-05 450r or 05-07 400ex with just an added screen and the plastics are designed to scoop into that screen so it goes right toward the radiator. Its really smart engineering when you think about it. The only thing I say they need to do is modify the plastic a bit and get a staright axle in the rear instead of IRS (Independent Rear Suspension)

yfzrider310
02-04-2008, 03:58 PM
Yea i think they should make 2 models like polaris because IRS is really stupid.

pods_BMOC
02-04-2008, 07:01 PM
Theres a time and place for IRS, like trails and just as a work machine, don't be so arrogant, John

suprdavtn
02-05-2008, 04:59 AM
irs is stupid, that is what they said when polaris started putting it on many of there quads years ago. now look on the rear of all makers and tell me what you see. bring your straight up here to tenn and i will show you how stupid irs is?!?!?

yfzrider310
02-05-2008, 07:16 PM
That was kinda mean for your first post. Try to be nice to people on this site and well like you back ok. And I wasnt trying to be arrogant just saying that they should make two models for those who rides cross country and those who ride the track. Just my opinon. Dont need to get mad.

suprdavtn
02-06-2008, 05:14 AM
sorry, i was not mad just had a reaction to post. I have rode straights for 20 years in places where you should not. the ds is not known for its ability to go in the rocks and mountains where i love to ride. the heavy front end makes it the best climber i have rode. the outlaw 525 stands head and sholders above solid. get one one the trail and you will see what i mean.

TRXRacer1
02-06-2008, 06:09 AM
Originally posted by suprdavtn
sorry, i was not mad just had a reaction to post. I have rode straights for 20 years in places where you should not. the ds is not known for its ability to go in the rocks and mountains where i love to ride. the heavy front end makes it the best climber i have rode. the outlaw 525 stands head and sholders above solid. get one one the trail and you will see what i mean. I've rode IRS in the trails and it only slows me down. I depend on the ridgedness of that strait axle for technical maneuvering. Now on the other hand If I bought a big ol' ute I would definitely go with IRS but I'd use that in a different way then a sport machine. IMO Honda should have just completed the 700 with racks and 4wd.

quadman 05400ex
02-06-2008, 11:59 AM
i saw it in person at the cycle show in cleveland it dosent look that bad

sheriff525
03-21-2008, 08:09 PM
I have riden both straight and IRS. I love both but i chose the IRS over the straight anyday. I have the polaris and it is by far the best quad i have ever owned. I think it is great that honda is putting a quad in this segment because now that is going to make Polaris step it up. Nothing beats a little competition to make you try harder to stay on top. The polaris looks way better too! The 700XX is fugly!

ds450maniac
03-22-2008, 08:58 PM
I'm curious to see a race between the Polaris 525 IRS and the Honda 700XX and see which ones faster.

f4istunna
03-23-2008, 04:15 PM
Im not a big fan of IRS but im sure its perfect for a trail bike like its intended. My buddy ordered one from the local shop so ill have to get some seat time on it and see how it handles

blbraptor
03-24-2008, 11:30 AM
Originally posted by sheriff525
I have riden both straight and IRS. I love both but i chose the IRS over the straight anyday. I have the polaris and it is by far the best quad i have ever owned. I think it is great that honda is putting a quad in this segment because now that is going to make Polaris step it up. Nothing beats a little competition to make you try harder to stay on top. The polaris looks way better too! The 700XX is fugly!

I agree, IRS on a sport is a GOOD thing...nice that someone else is offering this besides Polaris.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder though, I prefer the look of the XX much more than the Outlaw. Wait until you see one in person, they are pretty cool. Unlike the Outlaw, they actually look like a finished product!

RATPACK Z400
04-08-2008, 08:13 PM
Mark my words that IRS sytem will be gone in two yrs then they,ll put what every diehard honda fan REALLY wanted and give it a straight axle and save lots of unnessasery weight it does,t look bad,Im just disappointed with the IRS on the 700xx its makes it less sportquad and more ute like to me!

blbraptor
04-09-2008, 08:09 AM
Mark MY words, IRS sport quads will be still around in two years, I'd be willing to bet that other manufacturers will throw their hat into the ring as well. The Outlaw is in it's third year of production already.

sprocket226
04-09-2008, 09:49 AM
I like it, wouldn't mind having one. Do something with the front plastic, (and put a real front bumper on it) and exhaust, I think it would be a blast on the rutted trails.
It's the close to $8k I'm having problem with! :)

blbraptor
04-09-2008, 10:07 AM
I like the plastic, it looks different than everything else. I agree, $8k is getting up there, but that is about in line with the Raptor SE Editions, and about $700 more than an Outlaw. I don't think that it is out of line.

BOSTON GEORGE
04-09-2008, 03:27 PM
that bike looks like it should only be let out on october 31 thats how hiddeous it is

mike nash
04-10-2008, 07:15 AM
Wait til someone does a shootout then everyone will want one.Although I would imagine the utility guy's would be first to switch to that then the 450 crowd.And yes it needs a bumper .
I noticed in the video either they weren't trying hard enough or couldn't pull the front end up.I would think it has tons of torque. Overall I like it.:macho

reconranger
04-10-2008, 10:45 AM
Honda says the target audience for this machine is the big bore(ing) utility rider, who is looking for something more sporty. No doubt, at 500 pounds it will indeed probably seem "sporty" to folks who are use to 600-800 pound tall top heavy ute machines! But to someone coming off a 350 pound 450R, it has to feel like a tank....

I really think this is the wrong engine for this frame and its target audience! What Honda built is an over-square engine that is all rev, and makes its power way up in the rpm range. That is great for a full on sport quad, but an IRS frame is going to be best for rutted and rocky trails. This is semi-technical type riding, where you need to pick you way throught the terrain, so there will be lots of very annoying clutch slipping going on....

Besides, I really think the utility crowd likes automatics....so they can have their left hand free to hold a beer while they ride!!!

blbraptor
04-10-2008, 11:10 AM
You apparently are dead on right. Look at what ******** had to say:

"There’s no putting around on this machine. It wants to be ridden hard and aggressive. If you’re a new rider that wants to trail ride on something different, you need to ride this quad before you buy it. In stock form low speed maneuverability is horrible as the IRS quad will push instead of corner and with no bottom and mid range grunt you’ll need to constantly clutch and rev your way through the trails. Our point is to keep all this in mind if you’re a Sunday afternoon trail rider. In stock form we just don’t see this as a good choice for tight woods riding or perhaps GNCC racing out east. But if you’re a high performance desert racer on the west coast, with a little aftermarket help, there isn’t a better machine available."

Sorry...it's from a competing site, so you'll have to find the full review yourself.

troybilt
04-10-2008, 11:37 AM
Definitely an interesting quad. Isn't 350 lbs dry weight for the 450R? ...and 508 is wet weight for the 700XX? I read that wet weight for a 450R and LT450R is close to 380-400 lbs. ...not sure though. I would think the Raptor wet weight would be ~430 or so too. So the extra weight is probably all in the IRS, the outlaw IRS weighs 395 dry.

450R curb weight 390 lbs, off of Honda's website
Outlaw S 375 lbs dry
Outlaw IRS 395 lbs dry
LT450R 368 lbs dry
Raptor 700 396 dry
KFX 700 516 lbs dry

Which looking at it that way then the raptor weighs approx. 450 wet. So there is a difference of < 58 lbs. Not great IMO, but not that bad either, could probably shave at least half that in a race quad. It will be real interesting to see what the aftermarket does.

Honda hasn't screw too many things up, imo. I think the jury is still out for me on this quad, though. I don't like the front end at all. Needs a bumper and some strategic plastic removal!

reconranger
04-10-2008, 01:37 PM
Originally posted by blbraptor
"But if you’re a high performance desert racer on the west coast, with a little aftermarket help, there isn’t a better machine available."

I see this as a lousy desert machine....but no doubt Honda will race it in the next Baja race and easily win! They did that with the Rincon, but notice they only did it ONCE just to prove they could, then went back to the more reasonable riding sport quads. Currently, the Honda 450's (both dirt bike and quad) dominate desert endurance racing!!!

IRS is really no help in big desert whoops anyway, and the extra weight is a huge disadvantage anywhere. Where IRS really helps is in the rocks...and while that might help occasionally, what you want in the desert is the absolute stability of an SRA machine in high speed turns.

troybilt
04-10-2008, 01:58 PM
I thought the Honda teams run the XR650R in Class 22. It used to be that bike would win 1st, 2nd, and 3rd every year. For 2008, there was 6 XR650R's in the top 10, and they took 1st, 2nd and 3rd. note that Pastrana's RM 450Z team, which took 3rd, was disqualified.

I was under the impression the 700XX engine was based on the XR engine?? ..if so then it should be a decent desert quad. I would like to see a straight axle version, maybe '2010??? ...and about 100-60 lbs lighter. Then I'd be all over it.

...or is this engine based off the Rincon engine. If that is the case then I definitely agree, this thing would be a dog.

reconranger
04-10-2008, 03:18 PM
Honda has not desert raced the XR for some time now...it's all the 450X now! Even when they first raced the XR and X together, the X won. I like their do more with less philosophy!!! Even folks who loved the XR650, admitted it was the "big red pig".....

The XX engine is substantially different from the XR650. The biggest thing is that the XX is over-square and has a little slipper piston like the 450 has. This is a whole different type of design from the long skirt pistons we were use to on the XR's. This makes the XX a rever, and not a lugger. At least on the dirt bike end, Honda has put all its eggs in the slipper piston basket!

Another issue is MAINTENANCE! Engines with slipper pistons tolerate a lot of compression blow-by. That means the fuel mixture rapidly contaminates the engine oil which dilutes it out, so this engine will need frequent oil changes....just like all the new generation of 450's do!!!

Did anybody notice whether they seperated the engine and transmission oils on the XX, like they did with the 450R??? This is a trend I would hope Honda would eventually work into all its engines!!!

comrad
04-10-2008, 03:23 PM
Oh wow, look at all the haters. Their is no way you can test ride an Outlaw on the trails or desert terrain and NOT like it, if you don't then you are just biased. I am a die-hard Honda fan and when I rode the Outlaw IRS I was definitely impressed with the smoothness and ease of riding around the trails.

I own a 450r, and have hundreds of hours on other machines such as Raptors, yfz's, banshees, ltr's, and a lot more. When I rode the Outlaw, I KNEW it was the way of the future and soon after, Honda releases its 700xx...

For those of you that are suggesting putting a straight axle on it, for the track... Are you a retard?

FIRST of all there is no "700" class in the MX racing, and creating one would be stupid because you can get all the power you need for MX out of a 450r. And plus the 450r power bands are created specifically for MX and such.

Second of all, what would be the point of creating pretty much another 450r with a big bore engine? That is pointless in my opinion.

Third of all, IRS > SRA in trails, not those ***** trails that are practically paved trails, I am talking trails with ruts, rocks, logs, streams, and all that good stuff. You know? The challenging trails.

The 700xx is a bit heavier than a Raptor or Outlaw, but I have my money on the 700xx in any type of race except MX, which this quad was NOT designed for.

In my opinion all the talk in this thread is just a bunch of kids just talking bull ****.

reconranger
04-10-2008, 03:43 PM
Originally posted by comrad
Third of all, IRS > SRA in trails, not those ***** trails that are practically paved trails, I am talking trails with ruts, rocks, logs, streams, and all that good stuff. You know? The challenging trails. That is exactly the place where I think this frame will excelling....but why didn't they give it an engine to match the frame. Why put a high reving engine in a semi-technical trail quad???? If somebody else doesn't mind those weird combinations, then this is going to be the machine for them. For me, I just can't see that this machine would work anywhere that I ever ride....which is good because that means I don't have to spend any $$$$ getting one!!!

As for being a "hater", I can't see mylelf on anything that is called a "sport" quad that weights 500+ pounds. This is the same reason I don't like the Kawi 700 or even the DS650 (which is SRA) for that matter.

I know Honda's marketing research indicated that folks might like IRS. Trouble is, when you do marketing research and then try to take that to production (5 years minumum), you aren't setting trends anymore....you are already behind the curve. I do know that the Polaris IRS machines are sitting unsold on dealer's floors.....so maybe this market trend already came and went????

blbraptor
04-10-2008, 05:34 PM
Originally posted by reconranger
I see this as a lousy desert machine....but no doubt Honda will race it in the next Baja race and easily win! They did that with the Rincon, but notice they only did it ONCE just to prove they could, then went back to the more reasonable riding sport quads. Currently, the Honda 450's (both dirt bike and quad) dominate desert endurance racing!!!

IRS is really no help in big desert whoops anyway, and the extra weight is a huge disadvantage anywhere. Where IRS really helps is in the rocks...and while that might help occasionally, what you want in the desert is the absolute stability of an SRA machine in high speed turns.

That is EXACTLY why I thought that Honda would dial this thing in totally for woods/trail riding, but apparently the gearing and EFI mapping is off by a mile. Some are saying that it is a simple fix with a sprocket change, pipe, filter and programmer, but if you have to do all of that to HOPEFULLY get it right for trail riding, forget it. I had all my cards in on this one, man I am really disappointed!

troybilt
04-10-2008, 06:11 PM
Originally posted by comrad
Oh wow, look at all the haters.
In my opinion all the talk in this thread is just a bunch of kids just talking bull ****.

LOL.

...Not a hater, but a thinker... I would already own one if it wasn't for the almost ~8k price tag. If I'm going to spend a lot of money on a quad, I want to make d$mn sure it's going to suit my riding style. a.k.a. the dunes.

For the record, I like the quad. I'm deciding bw an outlaw and this quad, or even possibly a 450R at this point.

I've never owned a HP 4-stroke, been 2 stroke all my life. So I'm still learning the ropes.

...BTW, my birthday is this weekend, and I sure do wish I was just a kid!!!!!!!!

Keep ridin'

reconranger
04-10-2008, 07:27 PM
It is highly likely that Honda severly detuned this machine on the low/mid end, because they feared that folks would wheelie a 700 right out from under themselves!!! Perhaps you are right, that some gearing changes and a remap will turn this into the excellent trail quad. This frame might have potential....if it were only 100 pounds lighter!

04hemiboy
04-11-2008, 12:12 AM
Hopefully mine will be here this month. If it pulls anything like my 800x it's going to be a blast. 508lbs doesn't concern me one bit.

troybilt
04-11-2008, 06:50 AM
Originally posted by 04hemiboy
Hopefully mine will be here this month. If it pulls anything like my 800x it's going to be a blast. 508lbs doesn't concern me one bit.

Keep us posted how it runs... I'm really curious.

RATPACK Z400
04-15-2008, 10:37 AM
When Honda built this quad I THINK it was built for overweight america ,60% of americans are overweight .And they cant ride a 450 or 400 sport but would like too so they build big quads for them kawi 700,ds650,700xx,renagade etc. cause the shocks on a 450&400 won,t hold the weight of a large person too long and would easyly bend frames etc,I just wish they built two versions .And the straight axle would be for weight saving and handling in woods not for tracks I like feel of straight axle.I dont like the weight of a UTE on a sport quad other than the IRS I like it ! Im 5,5 150 pds it wouldn,t suit me at all. JUST MY THOUGHT ON THIS QUAD!

OutlawBill
04-15-2008, 12:16 PM
I think this quad will win the Baja 500 and 1000 this year. It sure did pass me this weekend and I was on my Outlaw. But Wayne Matlock would pass me on a 90ex because I am a S.O.F.:D

reconranger
04-15-2008, 08:29 PM
Originally posted by OutlawBill
I think this quad will win the Baja 500 and 1000 this year. It sure did pass me this weekend and I was on my Outlaw. But Wayne Matlock would pass me on a 90ex because I am a S.O.F.:D

Can you tell us anything about it and how it did in the race???

I am sure Honda will race it, just like they raced a 2wd Rincon in Baja....and of course won. Will this become their regular Baja ride, I doubt it. They will prove it can be done, then go back to the tried and true 450R...just like they did with the Rincon.

OutlawBill
04-15-2008, 09:41 PM
this is his second race. At the first one he pick-up Friday race Sunday and just a set of Elka shocks up front. He DNF, flats and the seat feel of.f This weekend I think he won and now has added Laeger front A-arms

07trx400ex
04-15-2008, 11:07 PM
Has anyone considered that IRS might not be the reason for such a big disparity between the weight of the 450r and the 700XX.

When comparing the Outlaw 525 IRS with the SA version, they only have a 20lb. weight difference.

Outlaw 525 IRS:395
Outlaw 525 SA:375

Would not the only advantage of an axle over control arms be structural rigidity and weight savings?

Dual a-arms would offer much more tune-ability, the arms would allow more "flex" for better traction and easier landings, two springs could be used etc...

Why is IRS being treated so harshly besides the weight disadvantage?

I would like to hear from some racers, if an IRS set up could be made to work an motor cross track.

reconranger
04-16-2008, 08:00 AM
I have to say that I am judging IRS by the big huge heavy tall ultra sloppy big bore(ing) utility machines, that have tons of body roll. A tighter system on a "sport" quad might not be so bad, but once you get it really tight, it isn't going to be all that different from an SRA. For now, I want the solid no body roll feel of an SRA in high speed turns.

Again, seeing that one usually comes off a whoop pretty straight, I can't see the advantage of IRS in that situation at all (especially given the weight penalty!). In the rocks where the two sides articulate seperately, is where IRS really comes into its own....thing is, if it's that bad I'm going to be on a utility instead.

04hemiboy
04-16-2008, 09:21 AM
I have to say that I am judging IRS by the big huge heavy tall ultra sloppy big bore(ing) utility machines, that have tons of body roll. A tighter system on a "sport" quad might not be so bad, but once you get it really tight, it isn't going to be all that different from an SRA. For now, I want the solid no body roll feel of an SRA in high speed turns.

Again, seeing that one usually comes off a whoop pretty straight, I can't see the advantage of IRS in that situation at all (especially given the weight penalty!). In the rocks where the two sides articulate seperately, is where IRS really comes into its own....thing is, if it's that bad I'm going to be on a utility instead.

Go ride a 08 Renegade 800X and come back and tell us how sloppy and boring it is. I can hang with any Raptor or 450r out there. Mine weighs 730lb and the weight isn't a issue whatsoever unless stuck. The 700xx is going to be a breeze to manhandle and I'm only 170lbs. IRS eats SRA any day if you're a trail rider. I have 11000k on my bike since April and no way in hell can you do that mileage with a SRA machine.

Tree
04-16-2008, 12:26 PM
I think the IRS is here to stay and hope that Honda will be leading the way again. They have been relying on the Honda name for too long. I'd buy one of these in a heartbeat, engine providing. I don't want something too highstrung, that requires a rebuild every year. I'm too fat and lazy for that.

Most guys that bash the IRS are born and raised SRA. They haven't given the time to the IRS machines to give a true informed opinion. A ride here and a ride there and they think they know everything about IRS quads. If they spent two seasons on one, their opinions may be different. On that note though, most of them want to gripe about the weight. 250R's are a thing of the past. As much as most of us love them, they will all be gone soon enough. Eventualy the EPA will outlaw all 2 strokes, racing or otherwise.

IRS shines in anything rough. Roots, rocks and stumps go right between the wheels, and you don't high center. SRA guys tend to like to use slide and english to steer, which is great. You can use english to steer the IRS, but it takes a little more finess. Sliding the rear end out is much different, because your inside tire never looses contact with the dirt. An IRS will rocket out of a turn harder than a SRA, just due to traction differences.

For what it's worth. I have both an Outlaw and a Renegade X. I also started back on an IRS 4X4 quad a few years ago. (I had been on the street since '87.) I rode a friends Raptor and decided that the Caddy IRS was much more for me.

I also fall into what I will call a unique group. I like to ride fast, but not at a race pace. I have a hard time finding people who are not too slow or too fast. But, as long as I'm out riding, it doesn't matter.

Later,

Steve

Tree
04-16-2008, 01:44 PM
One more thing. An off camber landing on an IRS is sooooooo much better than an SRA. You don't feel a thing. More importantly, you don't get slammed.

JOEBERNAL
04-17-2008, 12:56 AM
i was the lucky one who went out to dumont dunes with these guy and i have to admit this bike was awesome to ride. the irs was a bit tricky but after riding a few hours i really like it. i race baja and motocross and im use to straight rear axles so hitting turns was a bit different cause doing turns are quicker on the irs the shock compresses then it pushes you out of a turn fast. i like the fact that this bike doesn't sit high like a raptor, this bike sits like a 450. the suspension is smooth i jump it of a razor back tough the landing was going to hurt(being a stock suspension) but having two rear shocks it felt like and after market shock. the engine has a lot of power making the bike feel lighter. check out the video on motorcycleusa.com it was me doing the turn and popping the wheelie. if you wanna see more pics go to www.myspace.com/scoreinternationalchamp i have a few pics on there that honda sent me. i rode the bike like it was mine and i pushed it really hard you'll see on my pics. honda should also come put with another video soon google honda hrca. joe

JOEBERNAL
04-17-2008, 01:01 AM
i was the lucky one who went out to dumont dunes with these guy and i have to admit this bike was awesome to ride. the irs was a bit tricky but after riding a few hours i really like it. i race baja and motocross and im use to straight rear axles so hitting turns was a bit different cause doing turns are quicker on the irs the shock compresses then it pushes you out of a turn fast. i like the fact that this bike doesn't sit high like a raptor, this bike sits like a 450. the suspension is smooth i jump it of a razor back tough the landing was going to hurt(being a stock suspension) but having two rear shocks it felt like and after market shock. the engine has a lot of power making the bike feel lighter. check out the video on www.motorcycleusa.com it was me doing the turn and popping the wheelie. if you wanna see more pics go to www.myspace.com/scoreinternationalchamp . if u want to see the pictures click on the picture of me and my girl. i have a few pics on there that honda sent me. i rode the bike like it was mine and i pushed it really hard you'll see on my pics. honda should also come put with another video soon google honda hrca. joe

troybilt
04-17-2008, 07:04 AM
Thanks Joe for the video!

blbraptor
04-17-2008, 04:31 PM
Joe,

How do you think that the XX will perform as a woods/trail quad? Not for racing, but for leisure...FAST, agressive, leisurely riding that is!! Some reviews are saying that the XX lacks bottom end and is geared high, and that it pushes in corners. What do you think? It's between the XX and the Outlaw for me.

OutlawBill
04-17-2008, 06:54 PM
Joe,

How do you think that the XX will perform as a woods/trail quad? Not for racing, but for leisure...FAST, agressive, leisurely riding that is!! Some reviews are saying that the XX lacks bottom end and is geared high, and that it pushes in corners. What do you think? It's between the XX and the Outlaw for me.

All IRS Sports quads will push in corners due too the extra traction of the IRS. You will need to adjust the way you enter a corner by shifting you weight forward and in just a little so the IRS can unload. Move too far and you may spin out 180. Just practices some dough nuts on a flat smooth dirt till you git the fell of it.

1965 honda
04-17-2008, 10:27 PM
i love honda, fastest sport quad ever, haha, time to put yamaha back in the number 2 spot:macho

RATPACK Z400
04-20-2008, 09:19 AM
Everyone says its going to be a great trailquad and I somewhat agree! when the terrain gets rocky is where it will shine ,Not racing down the trails with 450s.the 450s will out climb larger hills than it ,will be faster on trails,and will come out the mud without winch easily,but when things get rocky THATS where it will shine .I don,t ride trails that rocky for too long ,If I can help it! So thats why I dont need IRS .I ride fast trail/track.

1965 honda
04-22-2008, 07:12 AM
Originally posted by RATPACK Z400
Everyone says its going to be a great trailquad and I somewhat agree! when the terrain gets rocky is where it will shine ,Not racing down the trails with 450s.the 450s will out climb larger hills than it ,will be faster on trails,and will come out the mud without winch easily,but when things get rocky THATS where it will shine .I don,t ride trails that rocky for too long ,If I can help it! So thats why I dont need IRS .I ride fast trail/track.
how can you say any of that with confidence, when you havent rode one. as long as its not tippy in the corners i think it will be a great contender for the raptor and kfx 700. :macho

troybilt
04-22-2008, 07:53 AM
Anyone read the write up in Q**D magazine? They didn't have too many good things to say about it. I was really disappointed. I'd still love to have one though.

I'm sorry, i just don't like the Raptor, never have. I guess its because every Tom, Dick, and Harry has one in the dunes, no other reason. I was ready for something different from Honda.

How long before someone figures out how to stuff the engine into a 450R frame?? I give it 6 months...

blbraptor
04-22-2008, 09:46 AM
I can understand a little that you don't like the Raptor because they are so popular, but it is a GREAT machine overall. The total package is pretty unbeatable as a sport quad. That said, I was ready for something different too, and had my hopes very high for the XX. The reviews have certainly been disappointing thus far, and Q**D certainly didn't have a lot of good things to say. If you go back and look at all the reviews out there so far, there was a lot of differing opinion on it, moreso than any recent quad that I can remember. A little too much negative stuff for my taste, though. I guess some of it is not really that negative as much as it isn't overly positive. Hopefully the engine can be woken up relatively easily. But if it takes a pipe, EFI controller and new shocks to make it shine, that's just too much.

troybilt
04-22-2008, 10:15 AM
I can understand a little that you don't like the Raptor because they are so popular, but it is a GREAT machine overall............ But if it takes a pipe, EFI controller and new shocks to make it shine, that's just too much.

Yes, I agree... I just have a sour taste about the Raptor because of some friends that I ride with have them. I'm giving up 450cc to a raptor, but they just don't get it... that's neither here not there, sorry no disrespect.

Anyway, i could live with the weight increase and the IRS. I was just hoping that the motor and tranny were on par with the rest of Honda's. I was wanting something that had hard hitting power and lots of it ...almost banshee-esque. But the article mention the power was pretty mellow. You're right maybe it can be woken up a bit. Get rid of the coffee can size muffler and re-map the fuel, might be all she needs.

The 11" wheels on the rear also screw-up getting paddles right away too. I think the aftermarket will go nuts with this one though... just my prediction. There has always been a love affair with Honda and the aftermarket.

Magazine articles have never stopped me from getting something I wanted, I was just hoping for a slightly more positive review. Oh well, I still like it.

blbraptor
04-22-2008, 10:26 AM
Well if you want a sport quad with IRS that has a motor that hits HARD, then look no further than the Outlaw 525. That motor RIPS. It's also probably at least 60lbs lighter than the XX (wet) and has a normal rim size in the rear, so finding tires won't be an issue. I, like you, was hoping that at the very least the motor in the XX would hit hard, cuz' that's what most of us want. "Mellow" was not what I wanted to hear. I definitely would prefer to buy a Honda over a Polaris, any day.

kilgoja
04-22-2008, 04:20 PM
personally i don't like the look of the new 700xx or the new 400ex....glad i got my 400ex in 2007 before they changed it...lol

chayes627
04-24-2008, 10:13 AM
i dont like how the 700xx looks even in person but the new 400ex in person looks alot better than i thought it would. i dont like how it looks in the pictures but in person it looks pretty sharp. the 700xx looks like a big wad of plastic

liledg
04-29-2008, 04:18 PM
I can understand a little that you don't like the Raptor because they are so popular, but it is a GREAT machine overall. The total package is pretty unbeatable as a sport quad. That said, I was ready for something different too, and had my hopes very high for the XX. The reviews have certainly been disappointing thus far, and Q**D certainly didn't have a lot of good things to say. If you go back and look at all the reviews out there so far, there was a lot of differing opinion on it, moreso than any recent quad that I can remember. A little too much negative stuff for my taste, though. I guess some of it is not really that negative as much as it isn't overly positive. Hopefully the engine can be woken up relatively easily. But if it takes a pipe, EFI controller and new shocks to make it shine, that's just too much. i think every thing i ever owned needed a little bit more motor and the same with this 700xx we like 2 go fast and when i get one i will get a cam put in and remap and good intake and exhaust.

mcgrath280
05-05-2008, 07:55 PM
first off first post HI ALL!!!!

For the ppl that was talking about the magazine articles on the 700xx. I read all the articles on the outlaw too and from what they say its by no means a "bad" atv but.... one magazine actually said by the second ride the outlaw felt "worn out"

Then i get on here and for the most part all of you love the outlaw.

So when alot of ppl start getting on here to that actually own them then we will find out what it is really made of.

OH and the reason i was looking at the magazine articles is i was about |-| that close to buying a outlaw but because of the articles i second guessed it and am thinking of the honda but now im torn cause most of the ppl here love the outlaw. decisions decisions decisions....

blbraptor
05-06-2008, 09:17 AM
I got my XX last week. Took it up to the mountains for a weekend trail ride. It took a little getting used to after riding a Raptor for five years, but by the end of the weekend I loved it. Rode the piss out of it thru rocks, muddy trails, hills, switchbacks, ruts, ruts and more ruts...it is a great trail bike. I am happy with it.

Teufel
05-06-2008, 09:53 AM
I have the Outlaw 525 IRS and luv it, The Its does require a different riding style _ like anything it has it's advantages and disadvantages:cool:

reconranger
05-06-2008, 05:51 PM
I got my XX last week. Took it up to the mountains for a weekend trail ride. It took a little getting used to after riding a Raptor for five years, but by the end of the weekend I loved it. Rode the piss out of it thru rocks, muddy trails, hills, switchbacks, ruts, ruts and more ruts...it is a great trail bike. I am happy with it.

This is exactly what I think this machine's special niche will be!

DirtWheels says they will do a shootout against the Raptor next month. Would you care to give us your own shootout results???

I really think the Polaris IRS machines are what it should be compared to, and not any SRA sport quad.....

blbraptor
05-08-2008, 09:00 AM
This is exactly what I think this machine's special niche will be!

DirtWheels says they will do a shootout against the Raptor next month. Would you care to give us your own shootout results???

I really think the Polaris IRS machines are what it should be compared to, and not any SRA sport quad.....

Yeah I would think that DW should do a shootout against the Outlaw, since that is the only "true" competition. The Raptor is a different animal.
As far as a comparison, keep in mind that I have an 03' Raptor, which isn't the same machine as the newer ones (06' +). My buddy has an 06' though, and I have ridden it a few times. I would say that my early impression of the XX was that I could not ride it as fast as my Raptor. But the more I rode it, the faster I went! Thru the turns you can't ride as fast, if you try to, it is a LOT more work. But once the trails get rough, rutted and rocky, you're REALLY appreciate the IRS. The engines are similar in their power, I think that the engine may be a bit "smoother" on the newer model Raptor. And the Raptor is probably a bit faster. You can definitely lug down the Raptor much more than the XX.
But the more I rode the XX on the trail, the more I liked it. And I think that the XX has a lot of power waiting to be unleashed from inside. For trail riding, I don't think that you could go wrong with either, or an Outlaw, but I'd definitely take the XX. The Outlaw is a smooth ride on the trail as well, but the 500 is vastly underpowered. The 525 definitely rips, but as an overall package, I think the XX is a much better machine.
One other thing, if I didn't know how much the XX weighed, I would have never believed it if someone told me it weighed over 500 lbs. It realy does feel light. It is very nimble and the front end will come up on demand. Like I said before, the XX likes to be ridden hard, and the engine and suspension seem to react better to speed!

GE4x4
05-08-2008, 07:11 PM
Yeah I would think that DW should do a shootout against the Outlaw, since that is the only "true" competition. The Raptor is a different animal.
As far as a comparison, keep in mind that I have an 03' Raptor, which isn't the same machine as the newer ones (06' +). My buddy has an 06' though, and I have ridden it a few times. I would say that my early impression of the XX was that I could not ride it as fast as my Raptor. But the more I rode it, the faster I went! Thru the turns you can't ride as fast, if you try to, it is a LOT more work. But once the trails get rough, rutted and rocky, you're REALLY appreciate the IRS. The engines are similar in their power, I think that the engine may be a bit "smoother" on the newer model Raptor. And the Raptor is probably a bit faster. You can definitely lug down the Raptor much more than the XX.
But the more I rode the XX on the trail, the more I liked it. And I think that the XX has a lot of power waiting to be unleashed from inside. For trail riding, I don't think that you could go wrong with either, or an Outlaw, but I'd definitely take the XX. The Outlaw is a smooth ride on the trail as well, but the 500 is vastly underpowered. The 525 definitely rips, but as an overall package, I think the XX is a much better machine.
One other thing, if I didn't know how much the XX weighed, I would have never believed it if someone told me it weighed over 500 lbs. It realy does feel light. It is very nimble and the front end will come up on demand. Like I said before, the XX likes to be ridden hard, and the engine and suspension seem to react better to speed!

How much seat time do you have on a Outlaw? Just wondering why you think the XX is better?

blbraptor
05-09-2008, 08:02 AM
It isn't really anything to do with their performance as much as it is with the overall fit and finish of the Honda compared to the Polaris. The Honda looks of much higher quality, and that it will stand up to abuse much better. Personally, I like the looks of the XX much better than the Outlaw, too. The Outlaw is a very nice ride, I almost bought one. I just liked the overall quality of the Honda better.

FLOLOP/1962
06-01-2008, 12:25 AM
Originally posted by troybilt
Definitely an interesting quad. Isn't 350 lbs dry weight for the 450R? ...and 508 is wet weight for the 700XX? I read that wet weight for a 450R and LT450R is close to 380-400 lbs. ...not sure though. I would think the Raptor wet weight would be ~430 or so too. So the extra weight is probably all in the IRS, the outlaw IRS weighs 395 dry.

450R curb weight 390 lbs, off of Honda's website
Outlaw S 375 lbs dry
Outlaw IRS 395 lbs dry
LT450R 368 lbs dry
Raptor 700 396 dry
KFX 700 516 lbs dry

Which looking at it that way then the raptor weighs approx. 450 wet. So there is a difference of < 58 lbs. Not great IMO, but not that bad either, could probably shave at least half that in a race quad. It will be real interesting to see what the aftermarket does.

Honda hasn't screw too many things up, imo. I think the jury is still out for me on this quad, though. I don't like the front end at all. Needs a bumper and some strategic plastic removal! BAJA 500 RESULTS AS OF TODAY!!!!700XX WINS!!! NOT BAD FOR ITS 1RST RACE I WOULD SAY!

troybilt
06-02-2008, 06:51 AM
Good stuff. I think the 700xx will be the bike to beat in desert racing!

troybilt
06-02-2008, 02:37 PM
I've been saying this since I first heard about them.

...and for the record this will be my next quad. I just have to convince the ol'lady, that this is more important than a honeymoon... lol :D

06-02-2008, 04:32 PM
Originally posted by troybilt
I've been saying this since I first heard about them.

...and for the record this will be my next quad. I just have to convince the ol'lady, that this is more important than a honeymoon... lol :D

rofl!

racer36
06-09-2008, 04:48 PM
I think that these are awesome and I would buy one if I found a pot of gold, I better start looking know!! lol

Fordtrax
06-11-2008, 08:24 AM
Well i went and looked at the 700xx the other day and what can i say? its a Honda!!!!
From what i saw i will say replacing the rear sprocket looks to be job from hell!
And they are all black this year with some hints of red coming out next year. Why didnt they make a red one first?
But most of all the price tag is what kills me !!!!lol
I will buy one as soon as i Rob a bank ! lol

scuzz
06-11-2008, 09:55 AM
From what I understand is that the rear can be removed with 4 bolts.

RideRed84
06-12-2008, 09:02 AM
I went and looked at one the other day. My impressions are that it looks completely awesome. Every thing felt comfortable and placed well. I would have loved to ride it and feel the power but it was in a showroom and was the only one the dealer had. It was parked next to a 400ex and this thing is much bigger than the 400. It was pretty noticable but I expected that. When I lifted the rear I noticed that it's a lot heavier. That plus the size worries me a little with the riding I do. I have no doubt that this would be a great dune machine though. The last thing was the color. I absolutely hated the black and gray. After looking at it I'm pretty sure I wouldn't like the red either. IMO there is just too much black on this quad and black plastics start to look ratty after a while. The saleman also told me that the red used on the 700 doesn't look as good as on other models. Maybe after a ride on the beast and seeing an 09 all red model I would think about buying one. Or if I was older and rode less aggressive. But for now I'm sticking to my original plan of a 450R.

scuzz
06-12-2008, 09:20 AM
I agree, I'm a big guy at 6'6" and 260 pounds. I looked ridiculous on my 400EX after seeing pictures and videos of me on it. I do miss my 400EX though, it was used, scratched to ****, but it ran great and I was able to muscle it around and do all kinds of things.

I was actually seriously considering a 450ER when I walked in the showroom. I had put money down on a used one a few weeks prior but had a change of heart when I started adding up all the maintenance that was needed on it.

I probably would have bought a 2008 700r if the people at the Yamaha shop wouldn't have been a-holes.

blbraptor
06-12-2008, 09:59 AM
The black and silver looks awesome...until you ride it! I bet if the 09' comes out with all red with black trim that it will look pretty good. I think that I'm going to get mine water dipped next year...Don't concern yourself with the weight of the XX. I never noticed the extra 50-60 pounds that it had over my Raptor when riding it. It feels just like any other big-bore sport quad, it just corners a little different!

Aarons 01 400EX
06-12-2008, 11:26 AM
The black and silver looks awesome...until you ride it! I bet if the 09' comes out with all red with black trim that it will look pretty good. I think that I'm going to get mine water dipped next year...Don't concern yourself with the weight of the XX. I never noticed the extra 50-60 pounds that it had over my Raptor when riding it. It feels just like any other big-bore sport quad, it just corners a little different!

I don't know why anyone would get a black quad if the planned on riding it. Hell, the little bit of black on my 300ex is scratched all over from riding trails. I'd hate to see what a total black quad looks like after riding on trails in the woods.

What is this water dipping that you speak of?

blbraptor
06-12-2008, 12:05 PM
You get a black quad because it is the ONLY color that is available! I had the black plastic on my 03' Raptor painted after the second year, and it still looks good (most of that is because of the graphics though). The water dipping is the same process that they use on the SE Grizzly's. There is a place called Watermark Hydrographics that can water dip your entire plastic, like overlaying it with a graphics kit. Supposedly it is very tough stuff. Their website has been down, otherwise I'd post a link.It is pretty expensive though, I think it runs about 600 bucks....

scuzz
06-12-2008, 12:05 PM
Originally posted by Aarons 01 400EX
I don't know why anyone would get a black quad if the planned on riding it. Hell, the little bit of black on my 300ex is scratched all over from riding trails. I'd hate to see what a total black quad looks like after riding on trails in the woods.

They way I figure it, the only time your quad looks nice is:

1. In your garage.
2. On your trailer.

After the 1st 5 minutes off of the trailer any quad I will ever own will look like mudd with handlebars.

I didn't buy it to keep it pretty.

Aarons 01 400EX
06-12-2008, 12:20 PM
I was just thinking about what you have to do to make it look decent again if/when you try to sell it.

scuzz
06-12-2008, 12:25 PM
Originally posted by Aarons 01 400EX
I was just thinking about what you have to do to make it look decent again if/when you try to sell it.

I think the insurance company will end up buying mine.

"Sir, you went off a cliff .....where?"

If I don't total it, and do end up selling it, I'll be taking all my go fast stuff off (WHEN AND IF THEY START SEELING PARTS FOR IT) Getting some eBay plastics and calling it a day. For my 400EX they would have been like a hundred or so...

I'm pretty much going to drive the wheels off of mine or they're going to pry my cold dead hand off of it. :p

blbraptor
06-12-2008, 12:28 PM
Originally posted by scuzz
They way I figure it, the only time your quad looks nice is:

1. In your garage.
2. On your trailer.

After the 1st 5 minutes off of the trailer any quad I will ever own will look like mudd with handlebars.

I didn't buy it to keep it pretty.

True that! But the black and silver looked so damn nice when I picked it up, I almost didn't want to ride it! I got over that pretty quick though....

scuzz
06-12-2008, 12:35 PM
True that! But the black and silver looked so damn nice when I picked it up, I almost didn't want to ride it! I got over that pretty quick though....

lol

Same here. That's why the first thing I did is took pictures of it when I got it home. I knew it would never be the same...

blbraptor
06-12-2008, 12:59 PM
Originally posted by scuzz
lol

Same here. That's why the first thing I did is took pictures of it when I got it home. I knew it would never be the same...

Yeah, me too. I saw your pics on the XX forums. I'm heading out for my second trail riding trip tomorrow...SWEET!

scuzz
06-12-2008, 01:07 PM
:cuss: lucky dog.