PDA

View Full Version : Yamaha Kodiak

Conman007
02-03-2008, 12:29 PM
Ok, so I have a Yahama Kodiak, that has run good with very little problems. But just recently it the electric start is not working right. I had t toggle with it a little to get it to start, but its to the point where you cant even do that anymore. I don't know whats wrong. I'm guessing maybe the switch is bad or something in the wiring. Has anyone else had this problem or can help me with it. Thx

Conman007
02-03-2008, 07:29 PM
So does any one have any Ideas.

firefighterjosh
02-03-2008, 07:45 PM
nope lol...try highlifter.com

atb7346
05-26-2008, 12:39 PM
I am having the same problem. Let me know if you hear anything. I am guessing it is the starter motor. I am taking off my starter and going to stick it to a constant 12V to see if it is working properly

loves2spooge
05-27-2008, 07:37 PM
whats it doing? i had to replace the battery in my kodiak like 3 times. probably your problem

atb7346
05-29-2008, 02:52 PM
I think it is the starter relay. The battery is fully charged. I can put my hand on the starter relay and try and start it and it is making a loud single tick sound. You can feel it through your hand.

Quad18star
05-29-2008, 06:02 PM
Originally posted by atb7346
I think it is the starter relay. The battery is fully charged. I can put my hand on the starter relay and try and start it and it is making a loud single tick sound. You can feel it through your hand.

I just replaced the starter relay on my dad's old '86 TRX 250 because I thought that was the reason it wasn't starting .... it was making the loud clicking sound like yours is doing. Bought a new relay , installed it and it still did the same thing... so I pulled off the starter and took it apart . The brushes were FINISHED. Brought the starter to a starter repair shop , got new brushes installed and now she works better than before.

SO ... my suggestion , before spending money on a starter relay , take the starter off and open it up to see how the brushes are. I'll bet they are finished and that's why the bike won't fire up.

'86 Honda or 2xxx Yamaha ... a starter system is all the same.

loves2spooge
05-31-2008, 07:54 PM
im not 100% sure what ur problem is cuz im to lazy to read all the posts.

but my dads kodi 450 had a problem with the float getting stuck. somthing like the stock one gets rusted or somthing because of the water content in the gas. u can get them aftermarket and this wont happen.

or you can prevent it from happening in the first place by turning the gas off, (when not riding) and running it till it stalls and stops getting gas.

Kodiak Rider
06-10-2008, 05:35 PM
yeah, i had to replace a lot of electric parts on mine, my starter relay went out and i just not got that replaced.

bross2504
04-25-2009, 01:23 PM
Hey, anyone figure this out? I'm having the same problem. Today the starter even got suck on! it was trying to start even after my hand was off the starter button and undoing my battery!
Any help would be great!!!

cope113
07-31-2009, 05:08 PM
My grizz 400 just had this two days ago. I switched out the starter relay and all is well.

bross2504
07-31-2009, 08:42 PM
Yea, That is what what it was. I switched mine out 2 days after my post. Worked great. It's the same part to fit a 660 griz too. I bought one off ebay, i think like 40 bucks. genuine Yamaha.
I'll tell you what, this lil quad is tough over all. it gos every place any other quad can go.