PDA

View Full Version : 400ex Starts in any Position

skatrdude20
02-03-2008, 09:21 AM
Anyone know what my problem might be, When I start my bike i must pull my clutch in, EVEN if im in neutral, and I can start the bike no matter where my on/off switch is set at. Anyone got any suggestions?

416exfreak
02-03-2008, 09:26 AM
Originally posted by skatrdude20
Anyone know what my problem might be, When I start my bike i must pull my clutch in, EVEN if im in neutral, and I can start the bike no matter where my on/off switch is set at. Anyone got any suggestions?

I have to pull my clutch in no matter what also. Im used to it though.

Idk about your key switch. Maybe just replace it?

skatrdude20
02-03-2008, 12:32 PM
Its not my key though, its like my killswitch, whether its in the middle, or either side it still starts lol.

oleboy87
02-03-2008, 02:10 PM
might not be hooked up or something... but if mine is in gear i have to pull the clutch but if in neutral i don't need the clutch

the Z Man
02-03-2008, 02:46 PM
There is a safety switch on the clutch lever, you can cut the wires and wire them to each other.....

trx400EXtreme
02-03-2008, 03:05 PM
Originally posted by oleboy87
might not be hooked up or something... but if mine is in gear i have to pull the clutch but if in neutral i don't need the clutch mine wont start in gear no metter what:ermm: . it's weird. isn't there to wires you can splice together to make it start in gear with the clutch pulled in?

tar
02-03-2008, 06:45 PM
Originally posted by trx400EXtreme
mine wont start in gear no metter what:ermm: . it's weird. isn't there to wires you can splice together to make it start in gear with the clutch pulled in?

Yea the two wires that ran to the stock deal need to be spliced together for it to start in gear.

skatrdude20
02-04-2008, 03:40 PM
Alright well I caught on to something new. If my killswitch is side to side, my bike will turn over but will not start, it will only start when in the middle, bit still it should turn over if its offto the sides should it?

hondaking52
02-04-2008, 04:04 PM
yes ur 400 should start in any gear as long as u pull in the clutch, and yes it wont fire if the killswitch is off to the side but it will turn over, and if ur in neutral and u still have to pull in the clutch in check ur neutral plug down by ur shifter... it might be broke

just ask if u got any Q's

jordan_m6
02-05-2008, 12:18 PM
Originally posted by skatrdude20
Alright well I caught on to something new. If my killswitch is side to side, my bike will turn over but will not start , it will only start when in the middle, bit still it should turn over if its offto the sides should it?

They all do that.

skatrdude20
02-05-2008, 03:40 PM
Oh, well then that explains that lol. Thanks!

TYTE440
05-25-2010, 09:52 AM
Sometimes my 400ex will only start in neutral, anybody know why?

slightlybent47
05-25-2010, 01:12 PM
The manufacture has put a safety switch on the clutch so it can only be started with the clutch pulled in. Just take the two wires that go to the clutch and instead of cutting them and twisting them together, like most dummies do. Just take a small solid wire about an inch long and push it into the two plugs thus making a jumper. That way if you want to put it back you still have the plugs in place and all you have to do is plug it back in.

TYTE440
05-25-2010, 01:20 PM
Originally posted by slightlybent47
The manufacture has put a safety switch on the clutch so it can only be started with the clutch pulled in. Just take the two wires that go to the clutch and instead of cutting them and twisting them together, like most dummies do. Just take a small solid wire about an inch long and push it into the two plugs thus making a jumper. That way if you want to put it back you still have the plugs in place and all you have to do is plug it back in.

good thinking, i will look at it when i get home from work. I know my buddy i got it from took the parking brake off but it still has the stock clutch lever. Thanks!

MtnEX
05-28-2010, 10:49 PM
My clutch pulling stuff has been wired together too...

It is not really a good idea, but I leave it that way.

I've pushed the button to start it while dismounted, thinking it was in neutral but wasn't... that's a surprise... lol..

But I leave it because I have used it a couple times for a little man-handling assistance... lol... it's like a help button... lol...