PDA

View Full Version : Bugard(sp) a-arms???

trx400EXtreme
02-02-2008, 09:35 PM
any good? just need some opinions on them. i'm tryin' to save up for a-arms and they seem to be pretty cheap compared to others.

ohsobad_chevy
02-03-2008, 10:38 AM
Can't really tell you much about their a arms......I own a burgard steering stem, but if I could do it over again, I would of bought a different brand. It's not that the stem itself is bad, it has been through a lot and still strait, but their customer service is absolutely horrible!!! and its not just me, I have talked to several others that have had hell with their customer service.
From the time I purchased my stem, till the time I got it was over 2 weeks. It wasn't a special order, just a +1, pc'ed black. I called to see what the deal was and I was treated like total chit!!! I was really close to telling them to keep their stem and refund my money, but I decided not too.

Product wise, for the price, you can't beat burgard......but customer service and folks that stand behind their products mean a whole lot more to me, so I would not recommend them.

Sorry for the long post, but I feel better!! :D

trx400EXtreme
02-03-2008, 10:47 AM
thanks. customer service is definately important to me. i've had too many situations where i was about to say forget about it i'll order from someone else. i just recently had a big deal with wayne at PEP, and i don't even wanna think about the problem we had with our local shop. we ordered an FMF pipe from them a long time ago and it took 4 months to get here when they said 2 weeks.

400exrider707
02-03-2008, 09:08 PM
The cheap burgard arms are notorious for breaking lower balljoints... not safe. Their upgraded balljoint arms are pretty good though, but are about the same price as other comparable arms.

my88r
02-03-2008, 10:11 PM
do a search there tons of posts about their customer service. but i know a guy that just got them. said there well made. im planning on getting burgard. but i really want laegers or roll design.

ohsobad_chevy
02-04-2008, 01:47 PM
Originally posted by my88r
.......im planning on getting burgard. but i really want laegers or roll design.

Save your money and get laegers or roll design. ;)

my88r
02-04-2008, 02:27 PM
Originally posted by ohsobad_chevy
Save your money and get laegers or roll design. ;)

i have laegers on my R and like them. but i like the design of rolls. but if i get a good deal on burgard. i will get them.:D

400exrider707
02-04-2008, 05:26 PM
i have laegers on my R and like them. but i like the design of rolls. but if i get a good deal on burgard. i will get them.:D

I wouldn't, even if I got a "good deal" Is it worth your safety to save a few bucks?

my88r
02-04-2008, 05:30 PM
Originally posted by 400exrider707
I wouldn't, even if I got a "good deal" Is it worth your safety to save a few bucks?

i know a guy that just got burgards and says there made well. i dont cheep anything out on my quads. im looking at lonestars also.

400exrider707
02-04-2008, 05:49 PM
i know a guy that just got burgards and says there made well. i dont cheep anything out on my quads. im looking at lonestars also.

Well if he is referring to the cheaper arms that are seen on ebay for $399, then I will have to disagree with your buddy. No offense. It's not even so much that the amrs are not well made, its the design that uses the smaller balljoints on the lower arms. It's just not safe, they dont hold up. I have a buddy who has a set of these arms on his 05 450R, he has snapped two lower balljoints on his quad this season during MX, and has been DQ'ed from the races, and luckily has avoided serious injury.

my88r
02-04-2008, 05:58 PM
Originally posted by 400exrider707
Well if he is referring to the cheaper arms that are seen on ebay for $399, then I will have to disagree with your buddy. No offense. It's not even so much that the amrs are not well made, its the design that uses the smaller balljoints on the lower arms. It's just not safe, they dont hold up. I have a buddy who has a set of these arms on his 05 450R, he has snapped two lower balljoints on his quad this season during MX, and has been DQ'ed from the races, and luckily has avoided serious injury.

if your talking about mx. i would put a laegers pro-trax on it. but being xc. i dont think those will take as much of a beating.

400exrider707
02-04-2008, 06:04 PM
if your talking about mx. i would put a laegers pro-trax on it. but being xc. i dont think those will take as much of a beating.

I think with a properly setup shock, the arms will take just as much of a beating if not MORE during XC. I think these arms are aimed at people who ride slow on flat surfaces myself.

mineralgrey01gt
02-05-2008, 05:03 PM
i just bought a set of burgards from a fellow member on here (paying for them tomorrow) and he claimed they are very good. Im not worried about customer service since im not buying from burgard

mineralgrey01gt
02-05-2008, 05:03 PM
i just bought a set of burgards from a fellow member on here (paying for them tomorrow) and he claimed they are very good. Im not worried about customer service since im not buying from burgard

400exrider707
02-05-2008, 06:08 PM
Keep an eye on those ball joints, they WILL break, and most likely at a very inopportune time.

mineralgrey01gt
02-05-2008, 06:10 PM
hmm, is there some other ball joints i can get that wouldnt break so easy?

400exrider707
02-05-2008, 06:13 PM
Originally posted by mineralgrey01gt
hmm, is there some other ball joints i can get that wouldnt break so easy?

No, they're just too small to handle the abuse thrown at them. You could try drilling the lower arms out to accept the larger more standard 16mm balljoints, but then the material will be very thin holding it and just as weak if not worse. They're just not designed to handle heavy abuse. Burgard does sell a heavy duty arm with beefy lower balljoints, but they are about the same price as Housers and such.

mineralgrey01gt
02-05-2008, 06:16 PM
hmm, well i dont jump mine all that much and when I do jump it, its nothing major, so hopefully I wont have a problem

my88r
02-05-2008, 08:32 PM
hmm, well i dont jump mine all that much and when I do jump it, its nothing major, so hopefully I wont have a problem

how do you like yours???? or didnt you get them yet?

mineralgrey01gt
02-05-2008, 08:46 PM
havent got them yet. Im sending the money out tomorrow so he should get the money by saturday hopefully

my88r
02-05-2008, 08:50 PM
havent got them yet. Im sending the money out tomorrow so he should get the money by saturday hopefully

let us know what you think when you get them.

and lol if i read the top you already said that.:chinese:

mineralgrey01gt
02-05-2008, 08:52 PM
will do, the original owner does have pics of the ones im buying up on this site. All im going to be missing is the brake lines which ill get next week.

lol, its all good. Im just happy im finally getting rid of the old stock a-arms

400exrider707
02-05-2008, 09:07 PM
They're not a bad arm or anything, its just the poor design. Its not really a big deal, as long as you know about it and keep a good eye on it, and always carry spare balljoints. Replace them often so they dont break and you dont get hurt. They are 1969 VW beetle tie rod ends at advanced auto... same unit...

mineralgrey01gt
02-05-2008, 09:11 PM
thanks for the heads up. I work at autozone and ill price them out tomorrow since I get a 20% discount on all parts.

mx1791
02-05-2008, 09:15 PM
my friend had them on his yfz back in 06 when we all started getting into jumping. they held up to 30ft doubles and trails and everything. so i dont think they are too horrible..

f4istunna
02-06-2008, 08:02 PM
I used put tons of hours on a set if burgards i had w/ the "notorious" balljoints. Never had a problem had them on for 2 years. Plenty of Xc, Flat land jumps, few tumbles down hills. Id still have them if i didnt get a deal on a LT front end im sure. I have heard ppl have problems w/ them. All i know is i put mine to the test. :eek2:

300exOH
02-07-2008, 09:56 AM
One thing to keep in mind is that many of the broken lower balljoints are because of improper set up. If the lowers aren't screwed in ALL the way they will snap like twigs. I think many are trying to get a little extra width out of the arms by leaving the lower balljoint out a bit.

IF you decide to go with Burgard a arms get them through a trusted parts dealer instead of directly from burgard. The the dealer can address any issues you may have with the arms. He apparently is much better at doing business with his distributors.

I personally have been very happy with my burgards although I don't really do any jumping just trails. Like stated above keep 1 or 2 extra lower balljoints handy and you'll be fine.

ben300
02-07-2008, 01:22 PM
theres problems with every type of suspension. a arms are designed like anyting to operate up to certain applied loads/torsion. past that the stresses in them becomes to great and they fail...doenst matter weather ornot their burgard, gibson, or lonestar...

i have a friend that has standard travel +3"s on his 250r set up for flat track, and he likes them just fine....im sure for moderate abuse, that they'll perform just fine. just be sure to check your ball joins every so often like ppl above have been mentioning.