PDA

View Full Version : Stripped Bolts

mod440ex
02-02-2008, 08:34 PM
Has anybody else had any of their bolts in the frame strip out. The back bolts that hold the front plastic on got stripped out when the dealership put it together. Does anybody have any idea how to get them out, i have tried prying up on the bolt head with a screwdriver.

BEN #1
02-02-2008, 10:05 PM
HI
JUST WANTED TO LET YOU KNOW THAT USE A AIR WRENCH
WHILE PRYING UP WITH A SCREW DRIVER IT WORK FOR ME '
HELI- COIL MAKES A KIT IT INCLUDES EVERTHING YOU NEED TO
REPLACE THE OLD THREADS JUST FOLLOW THE INSTRUCTION .
IF THERE IS A WELDED TAP ON THE OTHER SIDE THAT IS BROKE LOOSE JUST WELD NEW REPLACEMENT NUT .
THIS WORK FOR ME ,THE HELI-COIL IS AROUND $35 - $40.00 .

chipworkz
02-04-2008, 11:00 PM
Originally posted by mod440ex
Has anybody else had any of their bolts in the frame strip out. The back bolts that hold the front plastic on got stripped out when the dealership put it together. Does anybody have any idea how to get them out, i have tried prying up on the bolt head with a screwdriver.

I believe you are talking about the rear sub frame bolts under the seat. If you are, then this is a known issue that many people have had the same problem. The threads are NOT stripped out but rather the threaded insert they put into the aluminum sub frame is spinning. This should be a recall but so far I don't think they have. The way I got mine out was to use an impact driver. It is spring loaded and uses a 3/8 drive socket / screw driver socket. As you hit it with a hammer it pushes the bolt down while turning it. This broke the bolt loose and it then came right out.

topdollr
02-05-2008, 08:52 PM
if it is the sub frame take it to the dealer and have them replace it. I had to go to a second dealer because the first on only repalced the bolts.

mod440ex
02-08-2008, 10:47 PM
well i just to it to the dealer so they could check my fuel tank, and they have to take those bolts out to take the tank off. they are going to put it under warrenty so i lucked out.

Sandman2
02-09-2008, 02:38 PM
Just got done fixing all mine. The inserts were never fully compressed, so it was a pretty easy fix. Take off the seat, airbox, tool tray, and rear fenders. (you can't do this fix with the plastic tabs in the way) Obviously this is the hard part, but tapping a screwdriver under the plastic and prying up on the bolt will hold it well enough to spin it off. An air ratchet or impact makes it easier. Once everything is out of the way, take a loger bolt with like threads, and run a jam nut up on it. Screw the bolt in as far as you can, then thread the jam nut down until it contacts the top of the insert. Then, holding the bolt head, crank that jam nut down into that insert as tight as you can. This will compress the insert the way it should have been when they were installed. You may destroy a couple bolts doing this so don't use the stock ones. I had seven spinning and it fixed all of them. Hope it works for you.

chipworkz
02-09-2008, 05:40 PM
Originally posted by Sandman2
Just got done fixing all mine. The inserts were never fully compressed, so it was a pretty easy fix. Take off the seat, airbox, tool tray, and rear fenders. (you can't do this fix with the plastic tabs in the way) Obviously this is the hard part, but tapping a screwdriver under the plastic and prying up on the bolt will hold it well enough to spin it off. An air ratchet or impact makes it easier. Once everything is out of the way, take a loger bolt with like threads, and run a jam nut up on it. Screw the bolt in as far as you can, then thread the jam nut down until it contacts the top of the insert. Then, holding the bolt head, crank that jam nut down into that insert as tight as you can. This will compress the insert the way it should have been when they were installed. You may destroy a couple bolts doing this so don't use the stock ones. I had seven spinning and it fixed all of them. Hope it works for you.

Great Tip, I didn't look very close at the one I had trouble with so now I will try your fix. I was going to see about getting a new sub frame but if that's all you need to do I will just do that.
Thank again

mod440ex
02-09-2008, 07:10 PM
yeah i will have to keep that in mind.

450raider
02-10-2008, 03:15 PM
thanks a ton sandman i did all that just to tighten 2 inserts but did all of em anyway and that really was helpful i never did know there was inserts in the frame sop thanks again but on another note while getting the back fendes off i broke one of those brackets off the airbox (plastic one on top) so is there a cheap or easy way to fix that? the only thing coming to my mind is hot glue but i dont think itll work maybe something more permanent.

thanks

mod440ex
02-10-2008, 03:51 PM
try some jb weld or something like that. that stuff is hard after it cures

Sandman2
02-11-2008, 11:54 AM
JB weld will hold it for awhile, but I would make a small aluminum brace for the bottom side. When joining plastics, I haven't found a good adhesive that stands up to vibration yet. If you can bend a piece of aluminum to the general shape, and rivet to both sides of the tab, this will prevent excessive vibration. The airbox itself is a sound design with the side brackets providing most of the support. If you do go with the brace route, remember to put something like felt, or thin rubber over it to prevent chaffing against the subframe.

Sandman2
02-11-2008, 12:10 PM
JB weld will hold it for awhile, but I would make a small aluminum brace for the bottom side. When joining plastics, I haven't found a good adhesive that stands up to vibration yet. If you can bend a piece of aluminum to the general shape, and rivet to both sides of the tab, this will prevent excessive vibration. The airbox itself is a sound design with the side brackets providing most of the support. If you do go with the brace route, remember to put something like felt, or thin rubber over it to prevent chaffing against the subframe.

mod440ex
03-02-2008, 07:35 PM
just got mine back, and they could only get one of the bolts out. they said they where going to call kawi and try to get me a new sub frame. 3 of the 4 bolts that hold my tool pouch bracket are just spinning so i cant get my plastic off to fix them. i guess i will try the impact driver next. so far this is really been my only problem, and its not really a problem yet more of an inconvenience.