PDA

View Full Version : Custom make a oil cooler for a 300ex?

HiperEX
11-16-2002, 02:32 PM
I was just lookin at my old oil filter cover and was wondering if i could grind the fin like things off and drill the holes for where i would put the things to hook the oil lines up to and run it up to a oil cooler could this be done?

300exQuadracer
11-19-2002, 11:15 AM
bumpety bump

i`m interested in this too!!

smith
11-19-2002, 11:57 AM
simplest way to add an oil cooler to a 250x/300ex......

You will need to purchace a small car transmission cooler (around $30 at the parts store) it is about 5" wide x 10" long maybe. Then you need to take the oil line (the solid one that goes between the pump and the head) and split it and have a small bead brazed onto each end of it to help hold on the new hoses. The small bead that is welded on is for the new flexible hose to go over it and you clamp behind the bead, it helps keep the hose from slipping off during use. Where you split the line will become the feed to the cooler and return from the cooler. The reason for placing the connections here is so that the oil coming out of the cooler goes directly to the head, the place that needs it most! The only other thing that you may need to do is fabricate some brackets to hold the cooler in place, but from experience, if you can find the super heavy duty zip-ties, they work well also.

good luck.

11-19-2002, 01:31 PM
just sold one on ebay heres the pic

11-19-2002, 01:47 PM
let me try again

Castor-426ex
11-19-2002, 01:49 PM
whats up with yur sig?

smith
11-19-2002, 01:55 PM
Yes, that is an actual kit that you can buy for it, but costs upwards of $225-$300 new. It works eqaully as well if you want a simple bolt on item. If you want to spend in the $30-$50 range, the earlier post will work also but requires a little work, not bad though. Both options work equally as well, which one to use is up to the buyer.

300exQuadracer
11-19-2002, 04:11 PM
anybody else got a comment on this one???

300exQuadracer
11-21-2002, 03:44 PM
Well guys i have talked to a honda dealer, and they said it was a great idea but there not supposed to say that because its not honda, then i talked to another atv repair shop runner and he said excellent idea that there was no problem with it, it will work, and my dad, a mechanic said it will work so, i`m gonna do it and i`ll tell you guys, whoever want to know how it turns out.
:D

HiperEX
11-21-2002, 04:34 PM
ok keep us in touch im think of doin this also can u buy the little things that you need to use that u have to put on the filter cover, for where the oil lines hook up to ? think like a farm and fleet store would have then or a auto shop?

bigbadbrad
11-21-2002, 06:19 PM
um jordan i thought u already have an oil cooler that is what u told me or were u just bsing me and everyone that reads your sig

300exQuadracer
11-21-2002, 08:48 PM
Originally posted by HiperEX
ok keep us in touch im think of doin this also can u buy the little things that you need to use that u have to put on the filter cover, for where the oil lines hook up to ? think like a farm and fleet store would have then or a auto shop?

ok, will do, i`m gonna do the oil cooler that you hook right into the oil line that runs from the pump to the head like what SMITH said

HiperEX
11-21-2002, 09:04 PM
yes i already have a oil cooler but i was just lookin at my old cover and was thinkin if i could try and make one outta it then give it to my cousin for his 300

300exQuadracer
11-21-2002, 09:07 PM
o my bad, yea i bet you could if you drilled some holes and tapped the holes for the hoses in the right spots it should work!:D

outlaw319
11-23-2002, 12:29 PM
Going through the lines is much better than trying to go through the cover! because the cover method is pointless the oil just heats back up! going through the lines makes sure cool oil goes right to the cam/rockers where its needed the most.