PDA

View Full Version : No-Toil. Really hoping this is a freak accident case...

JimmyHoffa
02-01-2008, 09:00 PM
Allright. I bought a No-Toil filter and the oil because everyone thinks they are awesome. Now, I want to kick a kitten. I just finished oiling it and putting it on, and it was a horrible experience. The filter foam materials and the oil were both awesome, but that's where it ends. After I got the filter oiled, I had to put it on the backfire screen. Unfortunately, it was about 1/4" shy on the diameter, so I had to use my teeth, pliers, and two standard screwdrivers to stretch it over the cartridge. I was real proud of myself when I got it on, only to find that the support pin on the back of the backfire screen was about half the diameter of the hole in the grommet on the filter. Now, I get to spend some of tomorrow (that I wanted to spend putting my QRS system on) fabricating a sleeve to plug the gaping gap on the back of the filter. I thought this was a reputable company. Did I do something wrong? Is there a No-Toil cartridge I'm supposed to buy?

JimmyHoffa
02-01-2008, 09:05 PM
Sorry. Something just clicked in my brain. This filter would have fit my old 400ex perfectly. The pin on the cartridge was bigger.. I thought the R filter was just a tad bigger too... This is interesting, since it came in a factory sealed package with a 450r label on it.

d3ktrix
02-01-2008, 09:07 PM
I'd call them up and make sure you didn't get the wrong filter.
Or like you said maybe your supposed to use their cage.

02-02-2008, 06:47 AM
I have a brand new one in the package. I ordered it thinking it would just clamp on like my UNI. When I received it I noticed it was made for the stock hardware. I never opened the plastic. I will sell it for $18.00 shipped.

JimmyHoffa
02-02-2008, 08:00 AM
I would be all over that deal if I knew it would fit. My problem is that I bought the exact same filter as you, and it "fits well" in the same way that an AC racing product "fits well." (Some disassembly, reassembly and specialized fabrication required.) Possibly mine was wrongly packaged.... ? If you can show me that the filter is actually a decent fit for my bike, I might as well grab it. All I really need is a picture/confirmation of the pin in the cartridge fitting snugly in the hole in the filter, and confirmation that I won't need the jaws of life to get my filter over the backfire cartridge.

02-02-2008, 08:42 AM
I still have all my stock hardware. I'm at work right now. I can open the filter when I get home and see if it will work with the stock cage. Let me know if you are interested?
Thanks
Frank

Dave400ex
02-02-2008, 10:31 AM
Never used a No Toil filter, but their oil and cleaner are the best. I use it on a UNI, which comes with a new screen and clamp for like $26.

Ty's400
02-02-2008, 10:50 AM
The No Toil air filters don't come with an inner cage, they are designed for stock. I haven't had this problem you described with the hole in the back of the filter. I have noticed they are a little hard to stretch over the lip of the stock cage, but nothing major. I ended up running the filters without the stock cage and that worked great as well.

JimmyHoffa
02-05-2008, 03:03 PM
As I suspected, No-Toil is the shiznit, and they're giving me a free filter. Yahoo. Dave400, I should have you know that Oxy-Clean is the same as No-Toil's filter cleaner. It's a little cheaper, too. I'm at college (no quad here), and I had to have my mom take a few pictures of the filter for me, and she claimed that the oxy-clean took the oil off of her hands like magic.

Does anybody know if No-Toil oil destroys other filters eventually? I heard that No-Toil's filters are the only ones that will truly tolerate No-Toil Oil. I was thinking about Twinair, but somebody said they fell apart at the seams with the No-Toil oil.

JimmyHoffa
02-05-2008, 03:11 PM
As I suspected, No-Toil is the shiznit, and they're giving me a free filter. Yahoo. Dave400, I should have you know that Oxy-Clean is the same as No-Toil's filter cleaner. It's a little cheaper, too. I'm at college (no quad here), and I had to have my mom take a few pictures of the filter for me, and she claimed that the oxy-clean took the oil off of her hands like magic.

Does anybody know if No-Toil oil destroys other filters eventually? I heard that No-Toil's filters are the only ones that will truly tolerate No-Toil Oil. I was thinking about Twinair, but somebody said they fell apart at the seams with the No-Toil oil.

ss440ex
02-05-2008, 04:23 PM
I have used the no-toil products on twin air-Sparks and uni...
No problems.
6 yrs in the works.

The people at no-toil have great customer service.
You could of also gotten that filter with a solid rear piece.... no hole.

440challenger
02-06-2008, 06:39 AM
You have a filter for a 04/05 450r which is the same as a 400ex. 06+ 450 has a much bigger filter!!!

JimmyHoffa
02-06-2008, 06:44 AM
ah... so since they're really close to the same, they're just going to give me the same filter again, and it's going to be close, but not perfect. Is that what you speak of?

440challenger
02-06-2008, 01:22 PM
notoil makes a filter for the 04-05 450 and the 06+ 450.
If you told them the year of your 450 you should be fine. The 06+ filter and cage is MUCH bigger in size

JimmyHoffa
02-06-2008, 04:36 PM
Yeah. Never mind my respect and (now dead) hopes for the company. I sent them pictures obviously showing the problem, and they asked me if my filter was too short. That's not the problem. I told them the freaking problem. The grommet is too big for the support pin, and lets dirty air in, and the filter lip is about 1/2" shy in diameter, making pliers required for installation. The pictures clearly show both problems. The person I'm talking to is barely literate/has terrible grammar, and the E-mails are in all caps with misplaced/no-show punctuation. I feel like I'm dealing with a bunch of monkeys. It makes me wonder what "chemist" came up with the tacky chemical that I trust my engine to. How do I know what dirt it stops? Dear goodness. Where's my Bel-Ray, Kerosene, and TwinAir...?