PDA

View Full Version : 05 450R seized

yfz450admirer
02-01-2008, 07:30 PM
Quad started for 30 seconds, I went to turn off the choke and the quad died. I tried to kick it over and it was seized. I put my boots on and tried to kick it over, it moved a couple of inches and made a huge scratching spund. My cousin and I tore down the quad to the bottom end. Everything checked out. No metal shavings, rings great, cylinder great, head good, rod no play up and down. The problem must be coming from the kick starter. We pulled off the side cover everything checked out. We are stumped!

Any ideas?

I heard from one guy that there was a recall on 04, 05 kick starter bearings?

02-01-2008, 07:44 PM
It's usually the right side crank bearing, but you said no metal, that's odd.

You're right there, you might as well split the cases. That's the only way you're going to find out.

The recall is on the 2006 ER starter gear.

yfz450admirer
02-01-2008, 09:05 PM
The washers on the rod are in great shape. There are no metal shavings. The oil filter has no metal shavings.
Ideas?
I have heard of the kick starters failing, but I can't find the threads I viewed in the past.

d3ktrix
02-01-2008, 09:09 PM
Did you check the oil filter for shavings?

yfz450admirer
02-01-2008, 11:09 PM
The kickstarter gears look fine. I think I am going to take off the clutch and check the idle gear.

yfz450admirer
02-02-2008, 10:25 AM
This is what I found.

it is fairly simple to weld up the back side of that left case and just drill right through the pin area from the inside,--- and tap add another bolt :thumbsup:

or you can just re weld up the little pin and grind him back to fit if you like also , ( i like the two bolt idea ----it is like what honda used to do on the cr's )

but the importaint area is where the kicker lever slams into the case at on return.
that point is at the base of the little piece that broke off, ------you want to make sure that there is no room inbetween the piece that broke and the aluminum case for the returning kicker to hit -------the little piece that broke is supposed to disenguage the kicker gear and let it slam into the case-----not the little metel peice .

i know its hard to explain -------i am going to get my ex oldlady over again and get some pictures of this blown up one here i am fixing ,---so you can kinda see.

and i really like to make a new stop lever out of steel -----or at least i will order two honda stopper plates and weld them together for more strength,
two of these new plates all welded together are about like the old ones used to be ,:excuseme:

i wished you werent so far away -------it takes about 4 hrs to weld and grind and fit all this together and make it stronger ------its really not that bad of a deal -----maybe with my pictures you can have a friend do it for you ,-----i would be more than happy to do it for you if you like ,

i think the guys name in the 450 forum was RIDE RED --or RED RIDER ---or 450 rider , ---but i am almost sure there were at least three guys that had this failure on 02 and 03 bikes and had pictures on the r fourm
and i know the one guy got honda to pay for his after he found where honda had paid for others on here ,

i think the thread starter was like ------kickstart broke , --or buzzing noise after kickstarter released ,
or kickstarter locked up and blew out parts ,

you should be able to put in some of these words and find the threads i would think ,
i will look to when i can !

yfz450admirer
02-03-2008, 12:16 AM
I havn't been able to check on the recall on the bearing, but I will do that on Monday. I took off the clutch basket and everything continues to check out.
The idle gear behind the clutch basket is fine.
The only issue I have been able to locate is that possibly the first idle gear is sitting a little loose in the bearing that it sits in within the case.
What tool do you need to pull out the bearing from the case.
The kick starter still won't budge.

d3ktrix
02-03-2008, 01:33 AM
Sounds like u checked everything single thing possible that could lock it up besides the crank bearing :P

yfz450admirer
02-03-2008, 01:55 PM
There are no metal shavings in the oil filter which I tore down. I met with a mechanic two times from a shop that specializes in 450R's, he rides a nice 05 450R. He checked out the machine and stated that the rod, and crank bearings are not the problem.

h&h
02-03-2008, 04:46 PM
did u check your cam and the decompression

d3ktrix
02-03-2008, 05:21 PM
Originally posted by h&h
did u check your cam and the decompression

He has the entire top end off.

h&h
02-03-2008, 06:22 PM
okay so is it still hard with the top end off, i have found alot of poeple bringing in bikes and haveing the dec, set wrong that it will kick over like its froze up:confused:

yfz450admirer
02-03-2008, 09:08 PM
Photo, the assembly sits loose in the bearing which leads me to presume that it is affecting the kick starting mechanism.

yfz450admirer
02-03-2008, 09:08 PM
Photo, the assembly sits loose in the bearing which leads me to presume that it is affecting the kick starting mechanism.

yfz450admirer
02-07-2008, 09:51 PM
I had a guy looke at the bearing and he said that the idle gear assembly is sitting in it good.
I have one shop telling me that my crank bearings are out (no experience working on 450R's) and another shop telling me that the crank bearings are fine (works on 450R's all of the time)and that the problem is in the kick starter assembly.
When I turn the crank with the allen wrench (usually used for timing) on the right hand side, it does not turn very easily.
Is the crank supposed to turn easily?

thanks!

d3ktrix
02-07-2008, 10:27 PM
Originally posted by yfz450admirer

When I turn the crank with the allen wrench (usually used for timing) on the right hand side, it does not turn very easily.
Is the crank supposed to turn easily?

thanks!

Yes it should turn over super easy and smooth.
Even with the entire engine assembled with only the spark plug out it should turn over with no effort.

yfz450admirer
02-08-2008, 12:29 AM
One thing I noticed tonight when I took the clutch basket off again in order to prepare to put the basket, clutch, kickstarter gears and side cover back on I found that the crank would only move a couple of inches back and forth without a full rotation when I put the allen wrench on it. I was like no way, it moved a full cycle yesterday. I called my friend who thinks I need a new bottom end and he was like, the crank is gone, the bearings are out. Finally I pulled on the cam chain tight and the crank would go a full cycle with the allen wrench. The action on the allen wrench didn't feel that rough when the cam chain is pulled tight. The education continues.