PDA

View Full Version : Computer rebooted

Kickstarts-suck
02-01-2008, 05:47 PM
I got a call from my mom when I was at a friends house and she said they were having problems with the computer so I tell here to leave it alone and ill come home and fix it. By the time I got home my brother rebooted the whole computer.... I had over 4 years of stuff on this computer. 10,000 pics 1000 songs and alot of other things and they are all gone now.

Is there ANY way I can get my stuff back?

Rulz
02-01-2008, 06:21 PM
Rebooting a computer doesn't cause data to be lost, just power it back on and boot it up!:eek2: :eek2: :eek2:

<DRS>GPF
02-01-2008, 06:43 PM
it may be under another "profile"..

'right-click' the start button and 'explore all users'

416exfreak
02-01-2008, 06:52 PM
Go set it back to a restore point.

Thats all I can say....

and pimp slap that kid.:ermm:

my88r
02-01-2008, 06:58 PM
Originally posted by 416exfreak
Go set it back to a restore point.

Thats all I can say....

and pimp slap that kid.:ermm:

yea, set it back to a restore point. probably your only hope.:chinese:

Flyin-Low
02-01-2008, 07:19 PM
By "reboot" do you mean he formated the hard drive?

If so, there are some programs and people who can get the data back.. might take some cash and work finding them.

Otherwise you can just use system restore points or look under a different profile?! Maybe turn your computer back on or something crazy like that. :chinese:

Kickstarts-suck
02-02-2008, 12:28 AM
Ok everything is gone. Profiles and everything.

all I know is He said he "rebooted" it and everything is gone. I had to make a new profile.

What is this "system restore points" ?

d3ktrix
02-02-2008, 02:30 AM
I think he meant reformated =)

If so, restore points will NOT help you.

Only chance is data recovery programs, even then since he already put a new operating system back onto the drive, that a lot your data might already be over written.
Download a program called "getdataback"
One of the best programs for this type of thing.
It should be able to recover a majority of ur data.

Get the trial version of getdataback, scan ur drive with it and it will tell you what it can recover.
If u actually want it to recovery anything u have to buy it or crack it.

SGA
02-02-2008, 06:45 AM
Number 1 rule on computers with things you want to keep. Backup! Songs can be downloaded again, but pictures and personal things cannot.

I used to burn 1 or 2 dvd's with all my pics about twice a year for backup. Songs just take up to much room to back up on dvd. Now I have a 200 gig external hard drive. Plug it in the usb, back up songs and pics, youre done. Takes about 10 minutes. I still burn my pics to dvd at least once a year also, just in case the external hard drive crashes.

I had a mechanical failure on my computer hard drive a while back, one of the read heads hit the spinning platter, it crashed and burned. Installed new hard drive, reloaded my songs and pics, was good to go.

Im sorry you lost your stuff, maybe you can get it back with a recovery program.

elite ATV1
02-02-2008, 08:17 AM
Go to www.download.com and down load a program called Pandora Recovery. :macho u should get some of your stuff back that way... good luck :D

NacsMXer
02-02-2008, 11:09 AM
Originally posted by SGA
Number 1 rule on computers with things you want to keep. Backup! Songs can be downloaded again, but pictures and personal things cannot.

I used to burn 1 or 2 dvd's with all my pics about twice a year for backup. Songs just take up to much room to back up on dvd. Now I have a 200 gig external hard drive. Plug it in the usb, back up songs and pics, youre done. Takes about 10 minutes. I still burn my pics to dvd at least once a year also, just in case the external hard drive crashes.

I had a mechanical failure on my computer hard drive a while back, one of the read heads hit the spinning platter, it crashed and burned. Installed new hard drive, reloaded my songs and pics, was good to go.

Im sorry you lost your stuff, maybe you can get it back with a recovery program.

I just did the same. Picked up a Seagate 750 gig external USB drive....should hold me over for a while :eek2: :D My computer is about 5 years old now and I have a ton of stuff on it, so I didn't want to risk some catastrophic mechanical failure. Definitely helps me sleep better at night.

SGA
02-02-2008, 11:14 AM
Originally posted by NacsMXer
I just did the same. Picked up a Seagate 750 gig external USB drive....should hold me over for a while :eek2: :D
Yah, id say a 750 GB should last you a little while. Thats approaching a terra byte! :eek:

d3ktrix
02-02-2008, 11:20 AM
Originally posted by SGA
Yah, id say a 750 GB should last you a little while. Thats approaching a terra byte! :eek:

I have more then a TB in my PC :P

Kickstarts-suck
02-02-2008, 04:00 PM
Ok im running that Pandora Recovery and Ive found 13,000 files so far.

Thanks

ok I found a ton of stuff but nothing I needed :(

250rAL
02-03-2008, 08:31 AM
How do you guys get your computers to last 5 years? Mine crashes every winter just like clockwork. It just happened a couple weeks ago almost a year to the day from the last time.

Which 450?
02-03-2008, 05:28 PM
man i put password on everything, at start up, screen saver, and to get into my computer. and i use stuff no one will guess like having a word with a "t" in it but instead of the 't' use a '#' or something